Anyone Rocking a Fender Bassbreaker!?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by davey77, Apr 25, 2017.

1. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

I bought a 45 when they first came out and still gig with it! I'm in love with this thing still! Just a great pedal platform amp with an awesome bassman/ bluesbreaker tone. Then just recently I bought a 15watt version and the tone is so beautiful! A nice cranked bassman crunch at lower volumes!? Just curious if anyone's ever had the same experiences as me in particular the 18/30 version

2. marsten

marsten Senior Member

I have the 7 watt head sitting next to me on a Marshall 1965b cabinet and I love it :) Gets a great bluesbreaker/bassman tone as you stated. I am thinking of picking up a 45 someday but for the moment I am pretty solid for amps but one more couldn't hurt.:laugh2:

I used to use a Dsl with the cabinet and while it sounded great on the crunch channel I prefer the Bassbreaker for the stuff I play.

davey77 likes this.
  3. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

Nice!! Yeah I'm kinda wanting the 18/30 but haven't heard much about it

4. marsten

marsten Senior Member

Probably the best comparison video I have seen is Johan's. He gives the three amps a serious workout )

davey77 likes this.
  5. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

I am seriously considering the 45 head and would appreciate your comments, especially regarding the power scaling. Do you find this useful when playing different sized venues?

davey77 likes this.
  6. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

Yeah I've seen this video and a few others and Johan's is probably the best I've see as well!!!

7. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

Actually yes, even at the 1 watt setting it's really freaking loud. I like having it at 45 watts all the time and using dirt pedals for my main gain, but sometimes I'm too loud and I have to adjust the power scaling around 12 o clock to not be so loud and then have the volume around 8 o clock.... to get that bassman/ bluesbreaker grind and play at gigs you would either use the power scale as master volume even though it's not one and adjust the volume knobs to your liking... there's a bit of tinkering but it's well worth it. Hope that helps

8. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Played the 45 at GC when they came out. I thought is sounded great and wouldn't mind being able to put it through some more paces. Have to say, I wasn't as impressed with the lower wattage offerings. But again, I didn't put them through anything but the typical GC audition.

These are very intriguing amps for me though.

davey77 likes this.
  9. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

I've played the 15, 18/30, and 45 a good bit. Hard to say which I'd prefer, as they are all good at different things. The 15 and the 45 are probably the more versatile in terms of getting a good range of headroom to breakup to full overdrive at a given volume. Obviously, the 15 would fit better if you need drive at lower volumes; the 45 sounds awesome but is just really loud.

The 18/30 is the one I'm most intrigued by, and I love the idea of having essentially 2 different circuits in one box. However, I think it's at its best if you need to hit clean to edge-of-breakup at gig volumes, relying on pedals for full OD. It sounds great, but its every bit as loud as the 45 but without any form of attenuation. Don't get me wrong; the cleans are great (if you are looking for something a little darker than the typical BF Fender deluxe brightness), but to me it's a little too much amp if all you're doing is basement jamming to backing tracks.

davey77 likes this.
  10. xland

xland Senior Member

I've had my 15 for a little over a year now and I love it. The mid-gain channel is where it's at for me.

5-20-16.jpg

lakeburst and davey77 like this.
  11. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

How would you describe the tone of the 18/30? Like more Vox like?

12. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

In the sense that it's darker more or more mid-focused than a typical Fender and brighter than a Marshall, yes. However, I haven't really played Vox amps enough to really have a sense of their more subtle characteristics.

davey77 likes this.
  13. kherman

kherman Senior Member

thought the 45 sounded the best.
    The 15 & 18/30 sounded really fizzy.

davey77 likes this.
  14. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

I'm wondering if the 18/30 sounded fizzy is because he was cranking the 1st channel and not the second which is meant for a more dirtier approach?

15. mbell75

mbell75 Senior Member

Every amp that Johan guy tests sounds fizzy and thin with zero bottom end, he even managed to make a BASSMAN sound thin. He's a great player but a terrible reviewer. Even the Bassbreaker 007 has nice bottom end to it in person and I love the sound of that 10 inch speaker breaking up. The 15 is awesome too and probably the one I will get. Not a big fan of the 18/30 and the 45 is complete overkill unless you are playing stadiums.

16. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I have the 007 combo. It's perfect for the basement. I have loads of pedals connected to it.

Recently brought it to a friend's house to jam rhythm guitar with my LP along to his setlists. Miked it up, no pedals, sounded killer. He was playing through a miked Blues Junior with $1000+ worth of pedals. The 007 dry, held its own.

At home it sounds even better going through my Vox AD212 cab. Pretty much like an AC30.

mbell75 likes this.
  17. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Hey guys,

as you might know, I am owning a BB 18/30 since last week.

Yesterday I could play it in my first rehearsal, without our drummer though, because he is still on vacation.

Forget about Johan´s Video, because it is NOT representative. He cranks all those amps, but most People won´t be able to play the amp cranked to 10.
    When we played yesterday the 18/30 was easily loud enough for the band, almost too loud at position 3 of the volume (9 o´clock) on both channels.

I´d only play louder if I wanted someone to leave the band XD

Channel 1 is still clean at that volume, but it starts to "sizzle" slightly (I don´t know if this is an english word, but please forgive me, I am a German XD ). At that volume it still takes pedals very well. Plexi (Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe) and Vox (Yoyo AcTone) style sounds were great with my Knaggs and the amp.
    The Joyo Ultimate Drive was horrible with the amp/guitar combination.
    The 2x12 Combo really packs a punch. The bottom E-String has a lot of power, even played clean :)

Channel 2 starts the fun between Position 2 and 3 (9 o´clock), where 3 is already Close to AC/DC territory...and loud. I turned the volume down a litlle bit and put an EHX Sould Food in front of it to bost it. Sounds great.

The sound is very close to voxy tones when you dial it in, I compared it to my ACTone pedal, and the pedal is now gone from my board because I no longer need it.

The whole amp is built like a tank and definitelly a keeper for me. If you want me to try things out, just tell me and I can give you the respective Feedback @davey77

I use the amp in a cover band and I am a happy camper now. It works for all the songs (from Bryan Adams to The Darkness) and my pedals sound better than ever:) I am still in honeymoon though, but I´d recommend the amp to someone with similar needs:)

Cheers,

CT

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    pillbug and mbell75 like this.
  18. davey77

davey77 Junior Member

Man thanks for the full detail!!! That sounds exactly what I wanted to hear haha!!! Thanks again and cheers

CaptainT likes this.
  19. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Senior Member

Consider me a Bassbreaker fan now. This was on my short list of amps to check out, and I came across a used 15w combo at a local store for $399, couldn't pass it up. This thing rocks, great dirt sounds for a Fender. I like the cleans too, but don't expect it to sound like a blackface Deluxe, the Bassbreaker has its own thing going on. It takes pedals very well too.

Bassbreaker15.jpg

pillbug and mbell75 like this.
  20. mbell75

mbell75 Senior Member

Nice! Killer deal! I just picked up a Bassbreaker 45 a few days ago and I love it. Wanted one for awhile but ended up getting a Twin instead, way too loud and not the same tone. Returned it and got the 45!

[​IMG]

davey77, soundxplorer and marsten like this.