Anyone heard of a Volume Box Attenuator

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Fretboard, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Yes.
    Attenuators allow you to crank the amp to 10 and yet the output is only a 2, or whatever you want it to be between full and off.

A Master volume (In a tube/older amp) does the same thing. You have the channel at 10 and turn the master way down.
    It's to allow the tubes to be fully driven while not blowing your ears apart.

3. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

I actually own one of these...and believe it or not, it does work!...it's a volume reducer...In other words you can crank your tube amp to unbelievable tube overdrive tones and then bring it down to house levels with this lil gizmo, I was very skeptical, but @ 20 bucks I figured "I have thrown way more than that away on dumber stuff in the past, why not go for it"...Glad I did, and, so is my wife!! you do NOT get the speaker breakup like a loud amp setting, but you can sure get the TUBE OVERDRIVE your looking for at bedroom levels...I'd say this is a Plus 1, must have gadget!!

4. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

it isn't quite an attenuator though. it goes in your FX loop, and lets you run your preamp tubes at full while controlling the output with this.

HOWEVER

all the good noises come from using the poweramp tubes at full stretch.

try one of these (i have one, and it's great)

output tamer, great deals on Musical Instruments on eBay!

it goes between your poweramp and speaker, and does the job admirably.

5. Fabio

Fabio Member

In the Marshall Italy forum many users used an attenuator, one of the most used it's THD. I'm enough curious to use it and I'm sure the I'll buy it, but isn't so cheap: $329,00, but all my friends are enthusiastic 'bout it.

Another thing to count is that you've must to inform before which model use and it depends of your ampli: mine is a JCM900 100w Dual Reverb 2 Speakers combo and they told me that the better fit it's the Hot Plate, 8 Ohms, between other purple is my prefered color. ;)

6. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

yeah, it depends on what output and speaker ohmage you have on your amp.

7. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Is it worth buying for my 50 watt plexi? I currently have no attenuation at all...

8. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

the output tamer yes, the volume box no. with the tamer, you can get the full potential of the amp at a volume that suits you. trust me, it's worth it.

9. Fabio

Fabio Member

Write to THD, they reply kind and fast.

10. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Which one do you have:The Omnisonic Volume Box or Carl Customs Volume Box?

11. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Alright I might go ahead and buy one. Will 50 watts be enough for my 50 watt plexi?

12. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Yes THD's are very well known in America but they are expensive, I'm going to try a cheap attenuator and see what happens (like the Output Tamer at $55).

13. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Oh and what type of cables should I use for it? Pedals cables or what?

14. monroe

monroe Senior Member

Not exactly. A master volume allows you to crank the PREAMP tubes, while keeping the power amp section turned way down. Some masters are before the inverter and some are after the inverter.

An attenuator allows you to crank the POWER tubes, which gives you a sound much more reminiscent of a dimed amp. Putting a volume pad in the effects loop would allow the preamp to be cranked, but then you'd be hitting the inverter with a very reduced signal.

Ampeg had an effects loop style pad available for early V4's and many think it robbed the amp of a lot of it's potentially good tone. YMMV

15. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

Carls Customs Volume Box...I thought about the output tamer, but I didnt want to permenantly wire it in between my output and the speakers...(I have a Peavey ValveKing 50 watt combo)...and I didnt see where it would do anything different from the volume box...it drops signal strength to the speakers, so you don't get full speaker breakup with either of them....

16. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

From what I've seen you don't have to do that...

17. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

NVM now i see it sorry.

18. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

you don't need to permanently rewire it, you have an external speaker out on the back of your valveking as memory recalls... so you take a lead from speaker out, into the tamer, then use a jack to speaker clip lead (the guy who makes the output tamers made me one of these) to go from the tamer to the speaker, as seen in these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

variations have been available for years.......

20. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I don't know, I'm still not sold on inexpensive attenuators. Maybe they work just fine, but in my simple mind, I don't want to risk a tranny to save a few bucks.