Anyone have experience with the Duncan Dimebucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Benjammin, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I tried one in a used guitar at the store, and really liked it. I thought it was similar to the JB in ways that I like, and different from the JB in ways I like. I started to read about them online, and found more negative reviews than anything. I know there are Bill Lawrence USA pickups (which Dimebag actually used, though I'm not trying to sound like Dimebag) and Bill Lawrence's Wilde pickups (which are fairly affordable compared to the BL USA and SD versions), but ordering some of those would be a gamble since I've never used them. At least with the Dimebucker, I've used it and know I like it. If I bought one used, I might get a decent deal too.

Any thoughts? Do you like them? Dislike them?

2. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

The Duncan Dimebucker has little to do with the other two, as far as construction goes.
    IMHO the sound differs very much too.

Dime had an old Bill Lawrence pickup (pre BL USA) in his famous blue lightning bolt guitar.
    He did use BL USA pickups in other guitars later. He had even said in an interview that he likes them because they are super hot, super sharp and tight and that he could get them at Guitar Center or whatever for 50$.

Anyway, back on topic.
    I've compared the Dimebucker to other hot pickups (including the BL USA 500XL), some years ago.
    On its one it sounded fine. But put together with other instruments, it got lost and sounded like bees in a jar.
    Very much lacking midrange.
    The BL USA didn't have that problem at all.

Later on, I got a Wilde 500XL. This one I liked the best.
    I suited more what I wanted to achieve.
    Deeper bass, ever so slightly warmer than the BL USA.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't pick the Dimebucker.
    You're not trying to sound like Dime, OK.
    But if you're looking for the 500XL sound, you'd be better off with one of the other two.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

Thanks for your input

that's the thing, what is the "500XL" sound? Like I said, I only know the Dimebucker because I happened to play one and happened to like one. I saw a video online that put all 3 versions side by side, and in that video, the Dimebucker sounded the least good. But theres no real specific sound I'm going for (I'd rather sound like Dave Mustaine then Dimebag, but I know he uses the JB, and from my experience I did prefer the Dime over the JB) just wanting to upgrade the stock pickups in my cheapo Jackson

I know I can get a set of Wildes for the price of one Dimebucker, and I'm sure they are nice. But it is a bit of a crap shoot from where I'm sitting. And since the Dimebucker is so unpopular, I could probably get used for cheap, and if I don't like it, can I can turn around and sell it for the same price I paid

4. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

I've checked that vid and it pretty much sums my experience as well. My personal preference is the Wilde.

Nothing wrong with that; but it pays in the long run, if you specify a tonal goal in your mind before any purchases.

I can't tell if you'll like the Dimebucker or not.
    The Dimebucker came stock in a Korean Dean Dime model that I bought (Dime-o-flame).
    That guitar (floyd rose and all) sounded waaay better to me with the BL USA and even better with the Wilde. More muscle, more sustain and more cut in a mix. That's what my experience is.
    The choise is yours man!
    Want to try the Duncan first? Your cash!

Cheers!!

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

It has the power and compression of a JB, but not the upper mid spike. It is more of a spike in the highs, but it doesn't sound unbalanced to me. It isn't a pickup for clean sounds of any kind, though...it sounds best with tons of gain.

Benjammin likes this.
  6. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I already tried the Dimebucker, and already decided I liked it. That was the whole point. I tried the Dimebucker and that's what I wanted for this guitar. I don't necessarily know if the other 500XLs would be better or not, since I haven't tried them. I can't get a clear idea from other people about how different they are, except that most people seem to think the others are better.

I'm just surprised, like I said in the OP, I thought the Dime was a nice step up from the JB (which I like, but don't love) and which other people seem to like a fair bit.