Anyone have a mojoaxe lighting bolt on their vibrola SG?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by 27sauce, Aug 31, 2015.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

Is it working for you? Did you notch the saddles?

2. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Senior Member

If you mean the lightning bolt one then you don't have to, stings stay put just with the pressure.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

yeah, that's not happening. The strings are sliding side to side over the saddle. It works great wrapped around, just having some trouble now that I've employed the vibrola.

4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

What is a mojoaxw lightning bolt? I have a Mojo axe device that locks a sideways trem on early SGs like mine. Is the lightning bolt something different?

5. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

This one...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Dolebludger

Thanks, Boss! The reason I asked is that I bought a mojoaxe trem blocker for my 61-61 LP SG Standard with the side pull trem (you know, the kind that sucks tone) and it sucks tone no more!!:) Best thing I ever did to that SG.

Now those TPs in your pic don't look like they are for use with a trem or vibrato of any kind. Rather, they appear to be wrap tail TP/bridge combos. If these are used as a bridge alone with a trem or vibrato behind them, I can see why 27sauce says the strings slide around when the trem/vibrato releases string pressure.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for this problem. Notching, maybe. But if not really professionally done, I can see where notching could cause string bind, tuning problems, and maybe intonation problems.

1 person likes this.
  7. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

You're right about these not necessarily being for a wraptail (edited that out of my post above).

I does look like the vintage one in Dan's photo above has either been notched or has grooves from the strings being on it for so long.

I wish I could offer more help, but I don't have any experience with them.

8. Dolebludger

You know, this is a bit off topic, but after having an SG I bought new 54 years ago, I really don't think SGs do well with a trem/vibrola, under any circumstances. I've found that these deprive any guitar of a bit of primary tone (the unplugged tone that seems to find its way into amped tone). And with their thin and light all mahogany bodies, SGs just don't have that much primary tone even without one of these. A few months ago, I bought a rather complex aluminum device from mojoaxe that turns my side pull trem into a very solid fixed bridge. It cost almost as much as the guitar did back in '61. But for the first time, that guitar has become one that I want to play. It now sounds very good, especially at volumes high enough to allow the amped tone to generate some body resonance. Never did before the trem was locked.

Now the OP doesn't say what kind of trem/vibrola he has. I hope it is not a side pull if he actually wants to play it and get some trem action that returns to tune. My guess is that is it a Maestro or a Bixby. If the OP actually uses the trem/vibrola in his playing, He really needs a roller bridge -- and a very high quality one at that. All roller bridges suck tone, especially the cheapo ones. But I think to get the best tone out of an SG, you really need a fixed TP.

1 person likes this.