Anyone have a marshall JTM 60?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Iceman0124, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Just curious as to your thoughts on them.

2. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

I have a JCM602, which is a 2x12 combo, and have never had any problems with it other than the reverb tank not working (had it replaced, broken spring). Excellent amp for the $$$. Stay away from the JTM60, go for the JCM 600 series. They are the same thing except they have an air vent on the top to get rid of the heat!

3. Big Mike

Big Mike V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

the JTM60's were a little weakly built. Decent tones, but less of the traditional Marshall vibe IMO.

4. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I've owned one since about 95 I think, its worked pretty well for me, just ready for something different, the drive channell never really did much for me, so I resorted to stomp boxes, the clean channel rules though , I cant seem to find much of anything on them, no idea what its worth really. I really want an Orange 30 watt 2x12 combo, but the prices I've found on those are just shy of insane, I always seem to have a taste for the expensive crap.

5. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

The JCM 600's are quite nice actually... but I'm sold on 800's forever now. I've owned about 5, whittled the collection down to 2 that are just stellar. I've only ever had 1 JCM 800 combo, and it was a really nice sounding combo, but for me, its all about the half stack!

I've played JTM 60's and thought they were great though as well.

Iceman, what sort of drive tone are you going for? Anything you would compare it to?

6. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I'm looking for a more diverse drive tone, the JTM60 is rather flat, it sounds the same pretty much on any gain setting, dull and lifeless, no sparkle or snap, its impossible to get any pinch harmonics to cut through without an external device, and I'm not really sure why, the clean channel rules, in fact I use it with the master down, and the clean volume cranked and get a much better overall distortion, though much lower gain than I'd like, I've thought about retubing it with 6l6's (it shipped with sovtek el-34's, replaced those with ruby 34's about 6 years ago) to see if I liked it better, though that seems kinda like going in the wrong direction, and probably wouldnt be worth the cost. All in all it suits my needs, I just suppose I'm getting bored with it, I played through a H&K switchblade today, and was pretty blown away by it, just wish I had a grand to drop on an amp.

7. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

have you tried re tubing? JJs? NOS? that along with a decent graphic equalizer thrown in can be a cheaper alternative to tryin to find a new amp , but some amps dont always work with some guitars, I ditched both the Fender Hot Rod's I had,one reason they didnt work well with Humbuckers IMHO