Anyone got a Bonamassa Firebird yet?

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Wolf ^_^, Oct 25, 2016.

1. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

IMG_0409.JPG
    Here's mine, I'll admit it was a bit rough, but I like this guitar too much to worry about it.

3. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

And here's the other.......

IMG_1459.jpg

4. judson

judson Senior Member

epiFBcavity.jpg

5. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

Thank you guys. This is very interesting! This is how I first fixed my guitar but the sound wasn't really good. The treble would vanish when rolling off the volume and the tone control worked poorly.
    So I researched and found the proper vintage-style wiring and it has totally transformed the tone. Treble doesn't bleed out when rolling off the volume and the tone control has a great sweep.
    I suggest you try it because it's night and day. The capacitor wire should go from the center lug of the volume pot to the right lug of the tone pot. And you should move the wire that's connecting the right lug of the tone pot to the casing to the middle lug.
    Now weirdly I still have some cycle hum and I'm wondering if it's not some interference from an appliance. Never heard that from a guitar. Otherwise the tone is HUGE. I'm playing through a fantastic app on my iPad called Tonestack GO. It blows Amplitube and the other apps out of the water.

6. Jota

Jota Senior Member

Where did you found that wiring scheme?
    I searched everywhere when i first got the gold with the wrong wiring!

7. Fretrattler

Fretrattler Junior Member

I got mine from Sweetwater after a 3 month wait. Ordered in 2016 and arrived 2017 to me it was worth the wait, great player. I don't know how to get a "B" guitar? Is it specified when ordering?

8. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

Jota and Bud Stoner like this.
  9. omm

omm Junior Member

Just spoke with someone at Joe's store about a new issue in August (which I was told would happen a few months ago), and they basically confirmed that.
    I was told it will be a Firebird, but will not be what was already released, so maybe there will be a chance for some new colors.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  10. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

New colors............:hmm:

11. omm

omm Junior Member

Or maybe a lucite version?
    (That would be interesting.)

12. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

And extremely heavy as well.

13. judson

judson Senior Member

oh wow...i guess i can make the excuse i need a backup...in case (insert your favorite excuse) happens.

surf green/blue, yup i would do it
    white? maybe
    no red,no black,
    im still lookin around for a used a cheap polymist gold i could steal, even with a neck crack depending on price but doesnt look like that will happen anytime soon.

if its a variety of colors with same 63 model, i think i would grab another if they roll out this fall:hmm:

Bud Stoner likes this.
  14. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Although they said it is a Firebird, i would think it more likely it's the V that JB posted a video of himself playing. Can't see them releasing more Firebirds unless the demand has been really high. But then again they did that with the Gold Top LP after the original initial run.

I was close to selling my FB, have not really played it. Dug it out of its case, restrung and set up and now I love it. Prices on the used or remaining stock of the sunburst seem to have risen quite a bit. A few gold remaining too.

Glad I got the hardshell case with mine.

15. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I regret not getting the hard shell case myself.

The only reason I didn't get it is the size and cases really do take up a lot of room in a small abode.

16. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Yeah it is a very large case, my guitar room is due for expansion very soon.
    It does look very nice in it's case however. I'm very glad I didn't sell. JBFB1.jpg

17. TheKingOfBeer

TheKingOfBeer Junior Member

Just reserved a Polymist Gold one at GAK. Been 'GASSING' badly for the last 2 months now. Damn the city of Leeds! - Cut a story short, me and the Mrs stayed in Leeds for 2 nights early June. Right before we caught the train home I asked if we could go and look in Dawsons Music. Oops. I walked in, had a look around, couldn't see anything I liked. And then... There it was. In Polymist Gold, all shiny under the lights and looking slightly pink. I was set.

Got home and got to researching - I couldn't justify paying short of £600 in one go and my initial 'ask' was declined

So I put the Guitar to the back of my mind (as best I could) and accepted I'd never own it. Anyway come to Sunday, rewatched JB playing the Poly model and decided.
    I'm going to say goodbye to my Epi SG Custom and Les Paul BlackBack. I've had both of these for 2 years and sadly never play them anymore. Feel like they aren't giving me what I need. I'd rather just have one all round stonker I play all the time.

Spoke to GAK and managed to snag £200 for the SG. Which to be fair, a 2009 SG Custom will usually sell for £150-180 on selling pages. Used the SG as a reserve and currently have the LP for sale.

Just very excited for the LP to sell now, as soon as it sells I can send this SG off and the 1 day delivery waits!

Read through all of these comments on this Guitar today and makes me want it every more. Excited isn't the word!

Bud Stoner likes this.
  18. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Nice, glad to hear you're picking one up!

And I agree 100% on how giddy the PolyMist Gold makes me feel just looking at it. Most on the forum here prefer the Sunburst finish, but the gold looks different in varying light and I never get sick of looking at it.

My FB1 is always within reach and always on a hanger, and hasn't seen the inside of its gig bag since I got her!

Just for giggles, the next string change I may put the Billy Gibbons .007 gauge strings on it just to see what's what.

I love my Bird! :rock::thumbs::cheers:

19. TheKingOfBeer

TheKingOfBeer Junior Member

7's? I'd break them after 10 seconds!!!

Bud Stoner likes this.
  20. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I have a pretty light touch, so I don't think I'll have any problems, but it'll be weird as hell at first with something that light.