Anyone ever try a 57 Classic Plus in an SG Standard?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by stephen78, Nov 21, 2009.

1. stephen78

stephen78 Senior Member

If so, how did you like it? Thanks! :dude:

2. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

Hated it. It was too fat sounding and muddy with too way much upper mids compared to a regular 57 classic which I think sounds great in an SG. I like an angus young tone and thought the 57 plus was horrible for that. Heck, I like the 498T in the bridge better than the 57 classic plus. I prefer T-tops, Bare Knuckle riff raffs, and the Gibson Angus Young pickup in my SG bridge pickup. Those all sound good to me. Just got a Seymour Duncan Angus Young custom made pearly gates bridge pickup that I will be installing soon in place of the 57 classic plus.

3. stephen78

stephen78 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have a 57 Classic Plus in my Les Paul...I always wondered how it would sound in an SG. :hmm:

4. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

Yeah, I have one in my les paul standard also and think it sounds great in that guitar, but I don't like it in my SG at all. Too dark for the SG my opinion.

5. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

The regular 57 classic is a killer pickup in a SG standard IMO

6. zslane

zslane Senior Member

The differences between an LP and an SG are:

(1) The maple cap
    (2) Chambering/weight relief
    (3) Overall weight

Which of these factors contributes most, do you think, to the failure of the 57+ to deliver good tone? And why does the 57 not suffer similarly? The answers would be helpful, I think, to owners of other guitars with mahogany bodies and necks.

7. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

I thinks its due to the all SG mahagony body. the weight of the guitar won't make that much of a difference. As a matter of fact, if a guitar is really heavy it may actually make the guitar brighter and more dense sounding. The maple top on a les paul tends to add brightness to the guitar which balances out the tone. The 57 classic plus is an overwound pickup thereby making it fatter sounding and more mid-rangey. The all mahagony body guitars tend to be mid-rangey already. You find a similar effect in a les paul guitar without a maple top (i.e studios)...they tend to be darker. So you add a darker guitar with a darker pickup and it can lead to muddiness with an overemphasis in the mids.

8. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I've got a classic plus in the bridge position of my EDS-1275 6 string neck, and a 57 classic in the neck position. It ain't great, problem being the mud and over strong upper mids that Swampsnake mentions.

(It's basically an SG, obviously, but twice as much of it...)

I've been planning to try some different magnets to see if I can brighten it up and lose some of the overpowering midrange and muddy bottom end. Been planning it for months and never get around to it - will be sure to post my findings when I do!

Liam

9. zslane

zslane Senior Member

Thanks, Swampsnake, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. :)

So the maple cap has a noticeable impact on tone; how much does a rosewood (or ebony) fretboard contribute to the tonal "balance" versus, for instance, a maple fretboard? The lore seems to be that the maple will add "bite", while rosewood or ebony will mellow out the tone, similar to the difference between maple and mahogany as body woods. If so, what this says to me is that an all-mahogany guitar like an SG or non-maple-capped Studio with a rosewood board and humbuckers will produce the darkest, thickest, and most prone to "muddiness" tone possible.

10. LivewireBlanco

LivewireBlanco Member

I have an Epi SG with the 57 Plus, Jensen caps and RS pots and it sounds like AC/DC heaven. Now, I don't know if the better wood from Gibson will make it more muddy (I would think the opposite) but I would highly recommend the 57 plus for an Angus sound.

11. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

Well, The verdict is in. The Angus Young bridge pickup has been installed in my Gibson SG replacing my 57 classic plus. Much to my surprise, the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Angus Young Bridge modified is very, very, similar to the 57 classic plus I just replaced but with just a little bit more sizzle. Actually, sounds very similar to a regular Pearly Gates. Not sure what to think of this because I think it is the least likely AC/DC sounding pickup in my SG arsenal of guitars. My SG guitars loaded with Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs , Gibson Angus Young Signature pickup, and T tops are much more in the range of AC/DC than this new pickup. I guess he's looking for a newer beefier sound. It's not a bad pickup at all but definitely fatter than any of the others I mentioned and definitely un-AC/DC-like. Makes me think "what was he thinking"? So I guess, for those of you looking to emulate or approximate Angus' tone, any of those pickups I mentioned will work including the 57 classic plus. It is still my least favorite in terms of capturing an AC/DC tone but I guess if it's good enough for Angus so be it. When things slow down down for me and I get my studio rebuilt I guess I'll try to post a comparison of all those pickups. Stay tuned.