Anyone ever see this thing?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Crotch, Feb 12, 2019 at 4:22 AM.

1. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Platinum Supporter Premium Member

2. cmcgov

cmcgov Senior Member

I recall reading about it. Really like it. Hopefully it stays the way it is.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  3. Pete M

Pete M Senior Member

Really doesn't do anything for me. :dunno: I would hope no one would pay $85k to restore what is essentially a usable refinished body and a nice case. But stranger things have happened I bet. Still...someone could love it just the way it is I guess.

4. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Senior Member

That's a lovely top!!

bluesriffdev likes this.
  5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Marc Bolin........get it on. ;)

:cheers2:

Blue Blood and cmcgov like this.
  6. larryguitar

larryguitar Senior Member

I've got to believe the $85K price is a 'I wonder if there are any hard-core Amazing Rhythm Ace fans still around?' price. Folks who would buy it for what it's done, and who owned it, the same way most of us would pay more for 'Blackie' then we would for a brand new Fender.

Larry

7. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

I actually quite like it. The top looks great and the inlays aren't too bad... The headstock binding is really the only downside to my eye. If it played well (and I had the cash, of course), I think I'd get it. Am I nuts?

8. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I saw and handled this guitar a lot at the Fort Worth (formerly Arlington) guitar show this past October. It's actually a very cool guitar, with a ridiculously cool top. These pics really don't do the top justice. I considered making a low ball offer on it, but decided not to. Bottom line...it's a very cool, interesting guitar, but one that's really hard to put a value on because of all the work that's been done to it, along with its history.

Frank

9. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Hmm.....the "Byrd" burst....it should be MINE!

10. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

Interesting story, but 85 grand. Ouch!
    Here's the youtube video mentioned is the article.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    RevWillie and eric ernest like this.
  11. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I wonder if they repurposed an early '70s SG Custom fretboard -- that would explain the narrow nut width. Really pretty top!

12. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Frank I bet you could have an honest conversation on it. Joe (the owner) is actually a pretty nice guy. I've never bought a guitar from him but he helped me source an old vintage fender case for a guitar I had and some other items. (some of which he didn't make any money on even)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 7:26 PM
    RAG7890 and pinefd like this.
  13. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

If that guitar had original parts it would be a bargain.

VictorB, RAG7890, pinefd and 2 others like this.
  14. Red Pharoah

Red Pharoah Senior Member

I always called this 58 "The Keckler Burst". But I seem to remember it having a neck with double parallel inlays (like on a ES-175) and the headstock with a "My Gibson" pearl inlay. The head also had an abalone flowerpot inlay. Anyone else remember this guitar? Used to have a pic but cant find it right now. Does anyone have that pic and can post it? Maybe it is a different 58 then the one discussed in this thread? I do remember the "Keckler Burst" as being a 58.

15. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

It's an interesting question. As far as original burst bodies go, it's got a pretty damned strong (and interesting!) top and it's been refinished in a proper-looking color. I wonder what the right thing to do with this would be. You could replace the ears on either side of the headstock, redo the overlay and probably get close to the right/original headstock shape. You could replace the fretboard with a proper-looking one, but what about the width issue?

I wonder how much width you could recover in trying to feather the bottom edge of the binding into the existing neck with a wider board. Unfortunately, it looks like the edge of the wood as it transitions to the binding is pretty perpendicular to the fretboard, so, in order to roll out wider, with the transition occuring in the binding area, you'd actually be looking at sanding some more of the neck away to get a smooth overall shape. Somebody really slick could even mill the edges of the board on an angle, so that proper thin binding could be used to do all this.

pinefd likes this.
  16. asapmaz

asapmaz Senior Member

81481523-8EFA-48EB-846B-051148D5F664.jpeg
    Here’s my photo from Fort Worth:

Btw, it was very nice meeting and chatting with you Frank.
    Al

RevWillie, lakeburst, Crotch and 2 others like this.
  17. stp

stp Senior Member

I sure would not give 85.000 for it

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Pretty cool LP.
    Really narrow nut width though !

eric ernest likes this.
  19. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

I knew I recognized the guitar from somewhere. I saw in TX as well. Very cool top.

I actually don't think the price is that far out of line. $20-25k in parts, find a donor board and a donor headstock veneer, and you have a solid refinned burst which would be priced in the 100-120 range. The math seems to work (roughly).

20. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I'd think that if the neck hadn't been narrowed down so far. I think this is probably most sensibly a re-neck candidate, especially since the original S/N stamp is gone from the refin. I think there are a few ways you could build back the lost width and/or cheat some (but probably not all) from the replacement fretboard, but it'd be a lot of work, and might look a little funky upon close inspection. So, re-neck it, keep the old neck as-is to accompany the guitar as part of its provenance and as a reinstall/rework option for any future owner.

What's a re-necked, refinished '58 worth with a strong top, either with its current hardware or correct vintage replacements?