Anyone ever heard of DuKane Amps?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by kfowler8, Aug 3, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

20614488_10155558085850960_1847826725_n.jpg I have a friend that was just given an old vintage amp. Trying to find out more about it. It's a DuKane model 1B45-B. Best I can tell is it's some kind of microphone mixer/amplified. All tube. 50 watts. I think it was made in either the 50s or 60s.

Anyone got any info on it?

Attached Files:

2. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

3. thatF-INGflyingVguy

[​IMG]
    For more than seventy years, Dukane’s Audio Visual Products Division has provided schools and businesses around the world with technology solutions that help people communicate an idea effectively. Dukane AV supplies data video projectors, document cameras, visual presenters, interactive products, wireless microphones, technology carts and accessories for businesses, governments, churches, and educational institutions across the country. With a network of trained professional dealers available to provide personal and localized sales support, Dukane is committed to meeting each customer’s particular needs. Dukane stands behind their products with industry leading warranties and 24/7 Illinois based tech support.

Since 1922, Dukane has been involved in the development of systems and equipment for the educational, commercial, and industrial markets. Today, Dukane is organized according to two divisions which offer such diverse products as audio visual presentation products and ultrasonic thermal and friction assembly systems. Dukane's principal manufacturing and distribution facility is located in the Chicago western suburb of St. Charles, Illinois.

4. thatF-INGflyingVguy

5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Thanks! I sent them an email asking if they had any schematics, unfortunately, they don't.

Here's some more pics my friend just sent me. 20614553_10155558257860960_648973462_n.jpg

Attached Files:

6. thatF-INGflyingVguy

your welcome!

7. thatF-INGflyingVguy

8. LP Special

LP Special Junior Member

You might try contacting this guy:

http://www.skipsimmonsamps.com

He's an expert on these old PA amplifiers.

Riffraff12571 and kfowler8 like this.
  9. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

that spring reverb is cool!

10. straightblues

straightblues Senior Member

I have several PA amps from that era converted to guitar amps. What I usually do is check out the tube layout and then try to find a classic amp that has similar tubes. I have had great results. The old transformers sound great.

For example, your amp has very similar tube layout to a Fender Hi Power Tweed Twin. Not all the tubes are the same, but close enough. The EF86 tubes can easily be rewired to 12ax7's. For $150 to $200 you should be able to find a tech who could convert it over to the Fender circuit.

Not 100% sure, but that reverb unit looks like one that might be filled with oil. Be careful not to tip it over and have the oil drain all over your car.

kfowler8 likes this.
  11. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Is that what that is? Makes sense. Never seen one like that before

12. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Bogen made a bunch of PA amps like that in the '50s & '60s that put out 35 watts.

13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Finally got a chance to take a deep look at this thing. My guess it's from the 50s. Here's what found:

• All the channels seem to work. It had a pretty noticeable buzz the first night but the amp was very quiet the second night. It's only got a two-prong plug so sometimes flipping the plug over can remove the hum. The volume pot on channel 3 is shot and needs to be replaced. You can actually pull the knob out. So that channel is stuck on the same volume. Channel 4 was the noisiest.
    • It's got an assortment of tubes. Here's what I'm guessing they do:
      • Preamp: (4) Amperex EF86/6267 tubes (made in Holland).
      • Phase Inverter: I'm guessing it's the single 12AX7. It's an RCA 12AX7 (made in Mexico)
      • Misc. Tube: (1) GE 6SN7 GTB. I'm really not sure what this is used for. Says it's often used for the drive stage on in the power amp section. Could be from the phase inverter instead of the 12AX7. This is when I'd really need to see the schematics. Any guesses?
      • Power Tubes: (4) GE 5881 Classic power tube made in the USA. Similar to a 6L6.
      • Rectifier Tubes (2) RCA 5AR4/GZ234 (made in Japan). Pretty cool since I've never seen one of these in person. They stopped making most tube rectifiers in the 50s.
    • The Power and Output Transformers on these things are awesome. Big huge hunks of metal. They don't make them like this anymore.
    • The numbering on the bass knob is backwards. You turn is counterclockwise. I've never seen this. Kind of odd. There's no mid EQ knob which is not unusual given the age of the amp. My Traynor doesn't have one either.
    • The amp breaks up pretty quickly. I was really surprised how fast it does. After reading about the EF86 tubes, I guess that makes sense. It's got the classic OD tube sound. Master volume works pretty well. I'll like to see how they have that wired. You can crank the channel volume without bursting your ears.
    Plus here's a gut shot IMG_3054.JPG

14. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

That spring actually looks like a heat element rather than reverb. I wonder what it's used for?

15. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

I love old tube PA conversions. I have two in my amp stable and several old Bogens in my garage waiting to be done.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND contacting Skip. I found a Masco MA25P a few years ago and sent it to him because I wanted one done professionally and Skip is one of the best in the business with old tube PA conversions. It took a while to get done but it was well worth the wait. My Masco is one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned.

Here's a clip I did with mine just playing along with an internet track. No dirt pedals, just my Les Paul plugged straight into the amp.

250Keith, D'tar and CoyotesGator like this.