Anyone else have a Canadian 'Fakai' ?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Robert1950, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

This is mine. I got it in a trade for amp plus a little cash (trade value $500 Cdn). I found out a couple days later when I posted it on the Tokai Forum that it was an infamous 'Canadian Fakai' as they are called. The short of it is that some distributor wanted Tokai to build MIK guitars to his specs for the Canadian market but wouldn't do it. So he got another Korean builder to do it with the Tokai name on it. Got away with it for a few years. The word going around was that is was the builder of guitars also made axes for Dillion Canada. They are not bad guitars though. Mine had a tone of upgrades - bone nut, Grovers, 50s wiring with PIO caps, Rio Grande pickups. I really liked it, so I decided to keep it.

Anyone else have one of these? Apparently they came in LP, SG, 335 and Rosewood Tele models.

[​IMG]

2. 68 Bullit

68 Bullit Member

Yes I have one , a honeyburst flame top , picked it up locally for a song, plays and sounds quite remarkable ,a little heavy and not on with my MIJ Tokai but I like it.

3. zontar

zontar Senior Member

Never seen one in person, but nice looking guitar.

I see you've found this site as well.
    Interesting seeing some of the same people on different forums.

4. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Sorry man, I only have legit Japanese Tokais! :naughty::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Swap you for that sunburst! :D

6. worn

worn Senior Member

I recently saw a Tokai SG, made in Korea, shaped like a Viper in a used shop here. I wondered if it was a real Tokai...thought all Tokais were made in Japan.

7. Reaperc89

Reaperc89 Senior Member

Such a purdy looking thing :)

8. soliloquy

soliloquy Senior Member

i had one. it wasn't a les paul, but a PRS type guitar. its name, from my understanding was NLP-40 or NLP-40 PRseries. the only way to find these guitars is if the back of the guitar says 'make in korea' rather than made :hmm:

but yes, the canadian dealer who distributed that guitar, was also working with dillion. the way that worked out is dillion canada had a nasty break up with dillion north america. ugly stuff happened that made dillion USA a blood money guitar, while the ones in canada being the original guitars. usa dillions are being made in indonesia and china, but they are given a sticker of 'made in korea' once they come to usa.

anyways, the original owner of dillion(who isn't john dillion), went around to different lutheirs and asked em how to revamp dillion. one of those lutheires was smitty who works in mississauga, in a store called 'the guitar world'. great guy. very resourceful! anyways, smitty told how to make the guitar better. tokai's rep came to smitty for the same deal and thats how dillion and tokia came to being produced by the same factory.

while dillion and tokai were working together, smitty and dillion/tokai and a few other lutheirs decided to make another guitar line called Roxbury. the dillion and tokai guitars were looking more at the gibson les paul and prs standard guitars. roxbury focused more on prs single cuts and fender tele type guitars.

for one reason or other, tokai was booted from that factory and they dont make em anymore. dillion took over the exact design and they started making the guitars with another company called 'indee' i think. its a british company. they look identical safe for the headstock.

roxbury on the other hand looks completely different. and roxbury guitars are AMAZING!!!! i really want one, just cant afford it. they randomly go on sale at the guitar world for 420 dollars(canadian).

anyways, enough of my story...heres the guitar i sold and still regret it to this day!! :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and yes, like an idiot, i also sold the peavey V-type! :(

9. -=[Shifty]=-

Uhm...nope! :D:laugh2:

Thanks, Reaper!

10. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Yep. All that stuff on the back of the headstock and "Make in Korea" is the give away. The serial number does not follow Tokai's way of numbering either. The truss rod cover is another identifier of the Fakai - it has a single screw.

11. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

I am Canadian but I still have both of my original eye's. No fake ones, luckily. :D

12. soliloquy

soliloquy Senior Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but did the original tokai EVER have any thing to do with korea? the fake 'make in korea' guitars dont count.

i mean, companies like burny or fernandez have theri guitars being made in japan and korea. did/does tokai have the same thing?

13. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

I think at one point in the early 2000's Tokai did sublet out some of their line to Korean manufacturers.

14. -=[Shifty]=-

Yup, Tokai started to make lower quality, entry level guitars in Korea during the mid 90s. A few years ago (I think it was in '06), Tokai moved their "low level" guitar production to China.

15. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Do all these Canadian Dillion Tokais have the dials upside down?

[​IMG]

16. soliloquy

soliloquy Senior Member

whow. never noticed that, but now that you mention it, that just looks wrong. those knobs work for dean Solteros and PRS singlecuts...but thats about it. :shock:

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

That was one of the first things pointed out to me. I don't find them any less easy to use. I might cruise the Tokai forum to see if there are pics of any others.

The previous owner bought this guitar new at a legit store in Toronto. He had it rewired to 50s style with PIO caps. But I don't take to it very well. I will have it redone to modern. When I use the mid two pup position, the tone pot overrules the bridge tone. There is little tonal difference from using the neck pup alone. Still sounds great, but still,...

18. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Yep...I've got a gold top. That's a nice looking guitar you have there. I love my Gold Top. To bad I have to sell it....just did a bunch of work on my house. I just know I'm going to regret selling this!!! My little voice is just screaming at me!!!!

[​IMG]