Anyone dealt with Gregg Hopkins at Vintage Amp Restoration?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by surge98, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty Senior Member

Sounds like he may have sold those cabinets to someone else. Or just kept them
    for himself.

Maybe someone he knows wanted to restore their amp? Or someone who was willing
    to pay more money.

I hate to say it but those cabinets are probably long gone.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    M.C.J. likes this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I've got a baseball bat, if you've got a little dough.

Just sayin'.

3. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Have at it.
    https://www.facebook.com/The-MELROYS-237983724014/

Let us know if you want some forum help.

bulletproof and 58 Deluxe like this.
  4. surge98

surge98 Senior Member

I sent another message to his bandmates, letting them know that we've been beyond patient and have gone out of our way to resolve this amicably. I asked them to please get in touch with Gregg and urge him to either finish the work immediately or make arrangements to ship everything back.

RAG7890 likes this.
  5. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

I would just demand my stuff back. Screw the work. He doesn't deserve the business.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  6. surge98

surge98 Senior Member

I can't even do that until I at least get a response from the guy. When I contacted his band, I mentioned that several of us were looking at involving the police. Hopefully that gets his attention.

7. 58 Deluxe

58 Deluxe Junior Member

I'm not on Facebook, but I sent an email through the bands web page.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. surge98

surge98 Senior Member

I finally got a very generic response from him: "Thanks for checking in. I'm able to spend more time in the shop and am trying my best to get things caught up. I thank you, again, for your patience. I apologize for your wait and that I'm not better at communicating. Will keep things moving along."

No mention of the 4.5 year wait for 58 Deluxe's cabinets, which I specifically asked him about in my email. I even mentioned that it was being discussed over here, I'm sure he could find this thread and read about his reputation going down the drain if he were so inclined.

9. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング...

I sent him an email yesterday, and he got right back to me. I'm not a customer, but wanted to see if he'd respond.

10. 58 Deluxe

58 Deluxe Junior Member

I received a reply as well so that's a good sign.

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

That is friggin ridiculous. I would be paying that asshat a visit. Wtf???

bulletproof, jerry47 and RAG7890 like this.
  12. surge98

surge98 Senior Member

Was it the same generic response I got? After 4.5 years, he should either complete the work at no charge, or return your cabinets and any materials you sent at his expense.

13. 58 Deluxe

58 Deluxe Junior Member

Hi guys. Sorry for dropping out of the loop. I got slammed with work and other BS that always happens around the holidays. I'm finally getting caught up and back in the groove.
    So yeah, I got the typical response I usually get. Nothing I haven't heard before. He was apologetic and said he had some health issues. He said my Harvard cabinet is finished and the Deluxe just needs some finishing touches, and that he'll get them back to me asap. I've heard that more than a few times before. I sent a reply basically saying thanks, I sure hope so. That's about it. I haven't heard anything since, so I sent another email today asking for an update and reminding him that next month will be 5 years that he's had my cabinets. Any news on your cabinet, surge?

14. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

yeah, curious if this was ever resolved. not that there's much resolution after a
    lengthy wait like this .

15. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

So why has the "finished" Harvard cabinet not been shipped? I wouldn't believe a word out of this guy's pie hole at this point.

rockinlespaul and bulletproof like this.
  16. surge98

surge98 Senior Member

Funny you posted this, I was just about to PM you to see if there had been any resolution. I've not heard anything since November, so I figured it's time I follow up with him. If I were you, I'd demand a photo of the cabinets you sent him. If he's unable to provide that, he's lying and it's time to get the police involved. I told him to finish yours first, but that I still expected some resolution by January.

Maybe we should alert him to this thread so he realizes that his negligence is being broadcast throughout the online amp community? I've thought about posting this over at TGP, although I don't believe I've ever posted there. However valid it may be in this case, using your first post to trash a business always looks suspicious.

I've also thought about just sending him a PayPal invoice for the shipping and materials and demanding that he reimburse me if he's never going to do the work.

If you want to coordinate something, let me know and we'll figure out the best way to go about it. I thought my experience was bad, but 5 years is just insane.

bulletproof and Stinky Kitty like this.
  17. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

I can't look at this thread again, You 2 blow my mind... is this thread just to blow smoke on each other. GET IT DONE OR GET IT. Enough's enough!!!

steveb63 likes this.
  18. djsuckapunch

djsuckapunch Senior Member

Wow. I would have flipped my s*** after the 1st month delay.

19. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

It looks like that's where your going, if you don't strengthen up your game... imho.

bulletproof and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  20. 58 Deluxe

58 Deluxe Junior Member

What do you suggest? Fly out to St. Louis with baseball bats? I think someone else already chimed in with that idea.