Anyone dealt with Gregg Hopkins at Vintage Amp Restoration?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by surge98, Jul 14, 2017.

1. surge98

surge98 Member

In January of 2016, I contacted Gregg to see if he was available to cover a new head cabinet with grill cloth and tolex. He told me he was, and estimated three months to complete the work. I shipped the cab and all the materials in early February.

After five months, I contacted him to check on the status. He told me it wouldn't be much longer. After nine months, he told me his glue machine had broken, but was recently fixed and he was getting caught up on his backlog. After one year, he told me he'd have it back to me in the next six weeks.

It's now been almost a year and a half, and he hasn't responded to any of my emails or voicemail messages over the last month. I know he's supposedly one of the best for this type of work, but I'm starting to feel like I'm being scammed. I don't know how a small business can function with such a blatant disregard for the customer. Short of sending the local police over there, I'm not sure what else to do.

Has anyone dealt with him, and if so, did you have any problems? Thanks.

2. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I've never dealt with him. But in my opinion, this is a case where inefficiency has crossed over to criminal. He's taken your amp and not returned it. There is no excuse. I would cease being a nice guy at this point.

3. Mick51

Mick51 Premium Member

I would have quit being pleasant about a year ago..

4. surge98

surge98 Member

I let it go at first because I was still gathering all the parts for the amp build, and then getting everything wired up and mounted in the chassis. I didn't need the cabinet back until I was ready for final assembly.

I know the question of who can re-cover a cabinet comes up from time to time, I'm going to suggest anyone needing this service look elsewhere.

5. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

I had Gregg re-tweed an early TV front Deluxe many years ago. If I recall, it took about six weeks, and he did an awesome job. Many things can get in the way of timely response to production, but I think this has gotten redonkulous. Not sure what you can do, though. I would call him daily until you get a response.

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

FIle a suit, plain and simple.

BlueCajun and bulletproof like this.
  7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I would rock up to his Shop & Knock on the Door as a first option.

:cheers2:

bulletproof likes this.
  8. surge98

surge98 Member

That's not an option, he's 600 miles away. As far as I know, this is a full-time business for him, not a way to make extra money on the weekends. Last time I talked to him, he was instructed to ship everything back if he couldn't finish it by May and I would get someone else to do the work.

I'm sure the St. Louis police have much more serious matters to deal with, but I may not have any choice other than to call their non-emergency number and ask them to drop by.

9. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I think Luigi and his baseball bat would speed things up a bit.

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I feel for you. A builder near Toronto (BobBurst) owes me USD2,250, so I know what you're going though.

:cheers2:

11. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Our company got scammed by a company in Fla., we're in CA. We made a police report by phone with their local police dept. The detectives paid them a visit and decided it was a civil matter. That was fine with me. It put the business on notice that people weren't just going to lie down and do nothing, and let the police know that there was a con man in there area. You should consider filing a report with his local PD.

bilbarstow, bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  12. cybermgk

Again, open a suit for the value of the cab and materials sent, or return of same, and make sure he is served, in person or via registered email etc. WHEN you win, you can put a lien on his business, assuming the suit itself doesn't motivate him to do the right thing. a 600% delay from original estimate is just not acceptable, nor is anything that approaches a half a year or more (let alone 1.5 years).

bulletproof likes this.
  13. surge98

surge98 Member

I think that would be my absolute last option if nothing else works. One hour of a lawyer's time would likely cost more than the head cab, tolex, and grill cloth I sent him.

14. cybermgk

Small claims. No Lawyer.

15. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Fraud squad. They handle this kind of thing.

16. bluemoon

bluemoon Senior Member

At least have the local police pay him a visit. It will scare him into action.

17. surge98

surge98 Member

I mailed a certified letter today, in which I've given him one week to respond before I involve the police.

Skit, scrumm21 and RAG7890 like this.
  18. surge98

surge98 Member

A week after my certified letter was delivered, I still hadn't heard from him. I got the idea to send a Facebook message to his band, and they must have passed it on to him. I finally got a response from him today explaining that he was behind on his work due to having multiple surgeries in the past few months. He said that he had started working on covering my amp and that he would have it back to me shortly.

I suppose I could've pointed out that it was originally promised no later than May of 2016, or that he could've used an email auto-reply or new voicemail message to let customers know he wasn't working due to health issues. But at this point, I just want the work done and would've felt bad berating someone who's had a tough few months. So assuming he follows through on this within a reasonable amount of time, I'll consider this matter closed. Thanks for all the suggestions.

19. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

You're a better man than I. It astounds me that someone can give trash excuses like that and not realize how ridiculous they sound.

20. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

You've handled it better than I could have. I hope this guy gets it in gear and properly performs what you hired him to do.