Anybody see those 'Gibsun' models around?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by LoKi, Jun 6, 2007.

1. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

A local shop here has 2 of them, a Space Ace 3 pickup standard and a white standard with creme binding.

At first glance, they look like a Gibson... everything has been done, even the inlayed logo, although the O looks more like a U.

Get up close and you'll notice all sorts of things wrong. Its definitely a cheapo guitar and it plays and sounds like one. The headstock is too large, the pickups cheap and buzzy sounding, all around shoddy workmanship.

I'm just wondering where they come from? I'll go take some pictures and show you guys, but who is making these things?

2. classic

classic Senior Member

Chinese made ... if you're in to import one of these from China (eBay), you'll risk the guitars being confiscated by the customs and being destroyed ... NO guitar - NO money back !!! :wtf:

Beware ... I wonder how they could come into the hands of those "reliable" sellers - although I've seen some offers from Spain yet ... :shock:

3. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I thought that was only if they had the "Gibson" logo on them.

4. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

I get a kick out of the fact they go through all the toruble and work to make sometimes perfect copies then spell the freakin name wrong...what dopes!! and what bigger dopes buy themis beyond me...want a copy? get an edwards!!

5. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

6. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

The ones I have seen were horrible guitars.

7. classic

classic Senior Member

AFAIK ... even those Gibs"U"ns are on the black list of German customs ... :confused:

8. FLICKOFLASH

I spoke directly with Rick Gembar & Henry last year about the China LP's & they are not envolved & were trying to find a way to stop the Counterfeiting

The epi factory in china is well high tech & well trained & do not produce low quility products

[​IMG]

Qingdao Factory Tour

p.s. I will be meeting with Henry this weekend , maybe I can find out more

9. FLICKOFLASH

Gibsun is Indonesian produced in India or is that Givson ???

10. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I'm extremely happy with my Qindao Epi, I was told before I bought it was korean, all the stickers had been removed, I didnt(and still dont really care) where its from, it looks great and plays and sounds even better, I honestly like it better than my old 78 Gibson standard. I happend across a site that tells you where and when your axe was made from the SN, and its an 05 from qindao, I have absoultely no reservations about the guitar, and would easily purchase another one. I would love to buy USA, but at present I cant justify the expense, I've got less than $500 invested in my epi, including a complete electronics overhaul , 500T,BBpro, gibson wiring harness, the works, I was kind of afraid I wouldnt be happy with it, and sell it shortly for a vintage mahogony, but so far I have no inteention of doing so.

11. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I wouldn't be so quick to bash Chinese guitars. Those Eastman jazz boxes are REALLY nice for the loot. I've been justing after an Eastman El Rey, (the one designed by luthier Otto D’Ambrosio) for some time. Even the chinese made Ibanez guitars are surprisingly good, better than Gibson's chinese made guitars.

12. Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66 Senior Member

:wtf:

Uh, Gibson is DEFINITELY not making these guitars.....don't even entertain the thought.

Mike

13. Bluzboy66

Bluzboy66 Senior Member

The differences in quality and work-ethic between respectable/reputable Chinese manufacturers, and the multitudes of China-based scumbag 'slave labor' sweatshop manufacturers are mind-numbing. I'm SURE that there are entire Forums dedicated to this very issue. The latter mentioned back alley Chinese roaches will spit you anything and everything just so they can take your money and run. Quality??.....definitely not a requirement.

I've seen their 'temporary' websites and photo/order webpages. They'll send you a password so that you can access the page, choose the instrument(s) you want, place your order, and then the website is permanently erased......no longer in existence. Scary. Oh, and I've seen and inspected the instruments in person. Pure garbage, period.

There are MANY of these 'Jipson' manufacturers.....not just one or two. It's epidemic. Gibson SHOULD be concerned. Heck, I'll bet that the manufacturers for 'Tokai', 'Burny' and 'Edwards' have attorneys looking into it as well.

Mike

14. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

Wow...I had no idea. :shock:

It's 100% false of course.

15. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

IG,you have a PM.

16. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

so in 10 years all gibsons will come with a choice,order from column A or B,and a free poo-poo platter.

17. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

AND we will use Lead based paint!!! :naughty:

MMMOOOOOHHHHAAAAAAA! (said while rubbing my hands together like Dr. Evil)