Anybody remember Vantage guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by axslinger, Oct 25, 2008.

1. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

my brother's first electric was a sea foam green Vantage superstrat. awful. cheap, but awful.

2. Fuzzface_64

Fuzzface_64 Junior Member

My 2nd guitar was a Vantage FV575, Flying-V model that I bought 1983.

It was red with a white pickguard. I had it for 2-3 years, and then I sold it to my ex girlfriends younger brother. I think he still has it. :)

I had some feedback-issues with the guitar, so I replaced the original pickups and fitted it with a "DiMarzio Dual Sound" at the neck, and a "Gibson Dirty Finger" at the bridge...

(My 1st guitar was a Les Paul copy, called Noblé. It looked like a Black Beauty......I replaced the bridge pickup with a "DiMarzio Super Distortion"....never got round to changing the neck pickup, even though my bandmates said it sounded like a Xylophone....LMAO!)

3. Willy

Willy Senior Member

Don't know about their older stuff, but I've had a chance to play a few new Vantages - They SUCK!

4. vortexx

vortexx Senior Member

My first guitar was a Vantage LP tobacco SB from the late 70's or early 80's. Everyone said they were very good at the time but I traded it for an amp after a couple of weeks as I wanted a gibson. I think it was around $300 while Gibson LPs were around $600

5. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I had one of these in the late 70's. It was a pretty good guitar for the money. I bought it at Terminal music after drooling next door in Manny's for a few hours.
    After it was stolen I replaced it with a Guild s-60D.
    [​IMG]
    Vantage Avenger

[​IMG]
    Guild S-60D

6. ighut

ighut Junior Member

Bought a Vantage Ghost model back in 79 after my 77 Hohner Les Paul started to develop a neck twist. Vantages from back then were solid guitars and well made out of the Matsumoko factory. Heavy, nice playing, loads of sustain and after 30 years the neck hasn't budged an inch, same action as when it was set up new. Not sure about the quality after that, haven't seen too many, but wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Mat of that time period.

7. bagpipermann

bagpipermann Junior Member

I own one, a 1982 Vantage X-88 model. It is quite well made, but the tuners and tails and bridge could have been slightly better quality. (they're not bad, though). I put it dowm for 20+ years and just started playing it again recently. It' s not quite as good as my new Parker Fly, but it OK to play, not some piece of junk). Lucky for me my Vantage looks like it came out the factory as rumour has it that these guitars are starting to become noticed as a quaility built instrument (1975-85 models/the ones made in Japan).
    I don't intend to sell it as I like playing it as a backup.

8. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

[​IMG]

This was the top of the line thing they made, circa 1981. An Alembic knockoff really. On board pre-amp, active circuits when engaged. And lovely piece/s of wood and workmanship, 24 fret neck, full neck through laminate of walnut, maple and ash. Lovely fast, true neck, solid brass everything. I gigged with this one extensively, nothing wrong with pups is this, or the sustain. A quality bit of kit.

But lets face it, the 80s werent kind to anyone really.

[​IMG]

9. Marlow

Marlow Junior Member

I have the exact same guitar linked by the OP. Mine's a 1984 MIJ. The overall quality is fine -- the binding is well done, frets are excellent, and everything is generally pretty tight and clean. But the top is birch, not maple, and it's HOLLOW under the arch, not solid. If you take out the neck pickup you will see that the birch top is just a thin ply glued over some spacers. The body is many pieces of what appears to be mahogany. Finish is polyglop.

I yanked out the stock MMK45 humbuckers and put in a Dimarzio Dual Sound and a Super II, then wired it up to be fully switchable between series, parallel, and coil-tap mode. Sounds a lot better, but nothing like a LP.

10. 1981 Vantage VLP-510

1981 Vantage VLP-510 Junior Member

I own this exact guitar. It was given to me as a gift when I was a child and its been my love guitar ever since. It plays beautiful, I have no complaints about it. Mine, when it was given to me, had Gibson parts on it, likely from the previous owner, but still very nice. Iv played many gigs and recorded a couple albums on it, and aside from owning a real LP, I wouldn't go with anything else. Thank you so much to the poster as I have been looking for a long time to find out the specks on the guitar, and I found them off your link.

Catalog Image

11. 1981 Vantage VLP-510

1981 Vantage VLP-510 Junior Member

I own this exact guitar. It was given to me as a gift when I was a child and its been my love guitar ever since. It plays beautiful, I have no complaints about it. Mine, when it was given to me, had Gibson parts on it, likely from the previous owner, but still very nice. Iv played many gigs and recorded a couple albums on it, and aside from owning a real LP, I wouldn't go with anything else. Thank you so much to the poster as I have been looking for a long time to find out the specks on the guitar, and I found them off your link.

Catalog Image

12. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I had a weird gumby shaped Vantage with lipstick tube pickups and a Wilkinson trem I got at a pawnshop for $50. It wasn't too bad, but I later snared an Ibanez Talman with lipstick tubes I liked better, so I sold the Vantage.

13. RainbowPunk

RainbowPunk Senior Member

I'm bumping an old thread, I know, but it's rare that I get to talk about Vantage.

My Junior year of highschool, I bought a cheap black MIK Stratocopy from a pawn shop because my Pignose Stratocopy needed a new neck.

Nothing on it worked, which I was upset about since I threw down 60 bucks (alot of money to a kid who worked 5 hours a week for minimum wage). But it was cheaper than buying a new neck.

I repainted the super cheap plywood body with the intent of building a new guitar with it when I got a better neck for the Pignose. That never happened and I ended up giving it to one of my roommates.

The neck is pretty much hollow and I'm told that it's made of fiberglass, but it's held up and everyone who's ever played it seems to appreciate the feel and tone of it. I'm not as enchanted with it, though.

14. RainbowPunk

RainbowPunk Senior Member

Yes I bumped this thread again.

So I'm visiting my friends out of town and I learn that my friend's girlfriend was GIVEN a vintage Vantage bass.

She apparently told her mom she wanted an electric guitar so she could learn how to play. She mentions it to a friend of hers, a big gay biker bear and he GIVES her this bass. She has yet to learn how to play it.

I got a chance to play it and I fell in love. Nevermind the fact that I've always wanted a bass with this kind of look, I was totally impressed by its tone and I wasn't even playing it on an amp, it was driven through a set of computer speakers (she was given a little practice amp but her mother threw it away in a tragic case of mistaken identity. She thought it was an old stereo speaker!). Next time I visit, I'm bringing my amp down to try it out :D

I felt a little bit cheated that I wasn't fortunate enough to know someone that generous... But oh well...

Attached Files:

15. JThunders

JThunders Junior Member

Bump.
    To clear up some of the confusion here on Vantage and the quality of the guitars- Originally they were made by Matsumoku in Japan, a company that contracted out guitar construction to a bunch of companies in the 70's til the 80's. As a matter of fact they made the Epiphones that are most highly regarded in the post-Gibson era. Vantage was the Matsumoku house brand until the parent company (I believe Singer Sewing Machine) went bankrupt and liquidated the factory and intellectual properties. Thus in the mid 80's they got sold to Samick, who used the name but moved production to Korea. Once Samick started making them they were POS's in no uncertain terms. But if you can find the Uncle Mat guitars they're worth every penny.
    Right now you can find em for $300-400- and if you do you should get em. Not only are they top-quality instruments but they're getting scarce and I can guarantee that in another 10 years they'll be fetching $1000+ much like the Fuji-gen Ibanez artists and such.
    And a good rule of thumb is that anything that looks like a Fender is Korean, and anything that looks like a Gibson is Japanese. The best ones look like a cross between an Alembic and an SG- they have two horns and the neck is one piece through-body construction. Sustain for days.
    Hope that helps.

16. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I like my 'new' MIJ Vantage acquisition
    [​IMG]

lunchbox likes this.
  17. Ace Warslave

Ace Warslave Senior Member

I have two avengers one is red the other blue cost me about $200..:)

had a flying v a few years ago and wished i had never sold it..:(

18. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

THIS THREAD IS BACK FROM THE DEAD!!! SPOOKY! :lol:

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

20. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

oh yeah, but I really love my ES335 copy. The dude had been trying to sell it for $450 but was getting nothing so there must be others out there at a value. I was just hoping to pick up a Dot (a fine guitar) but I'm really happy I got this for the steal it was:dude: