Anybody remember Vantage guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by axslinger, Oct 25, 2008.

1. axslinger

axslinger Senior Member

I ran across one today in a local mom & pop shop. It was a cherry sunburst, LP copy. It looked like this: Matsumoku Vantage guitar

It has a set neck and appeared to be very well made. Price was $375.

2. worn

worn Senior Member

I bought a gig bag from a guy at work and he threw in an old damaged Vantage Strat. I thought I could cannabilize it, but it was all cheap parts, and a plywood body. On the surface it did look good but was just cheap junk.

3. Jason

Jason Senior Member

The top looks fishy to me.

4. ellem52

ellem52 Senior Member

I had this bizarre Vantage. It looked like an SG and Jerry Garcia's guitar made a baby. It had a horrible humbucker in the neck and an even worse single coil in the bridge. My father had a router, I had a dream. I bought a DiMarzio X2N and mutilated the thing. It had a pick guard so it was OK. The guitar still sucked but now it was LOUD.

I'd guess this was all like 1984.

5. Gunner

Gunner CEO Teen Axe Leader V.I.P. Member

Hey people!!! My first electric was a Vantage Strat copy! I bought it used for $100.00 and it still looks good for a '93. Plays well too. I still own it and will never get rid of it!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. axslinger

axslinger Senior Member

The one I saw in this store actually had a headstock that looked very much like a Heritage headstock. In fact, the script writing made me think it WAS a Heritage until I got a closer look. I was surprised at how heavy it was...I expected it to be light and cheap feeling.

7. Mr. Fuzzy

Mr. Fuzzy Senior Member

70's and early 80's Matsumoku made Vantage guitars art pretty good.
    The late 80's and 90's Korean made Vantages are cheaper and not as high quality as the Japanese Vantages.

Here are my 2 early 80's Vantages a VP-795 on top and a VP-790.
    The 795 has a jack mod/repair to the Strat jack

[​IMG]

I would buy a Vantage set Neck LP for that price. If you don't want it, shoot me the email of the shop. :)

8. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

I had one of their Flying Vs.

Bolt-on neck and goofy neck profile, but otherwise a solid guitar.

9. HARDWEAR

HARDWEAR Senior Member

This has been another minute in Rock History.......

My father had a router, I had a dream. Gotta love it ! ^5:dude:

10. vague313

vague313 Junior Member

How do you ID them as Japanese made? I have a Vantage VP795, serial number 103069 and would love to know if it's a Japanese or Korean model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

I have an acoustic Vantage, nice guitar for what is cost :)

12. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I used to have one very similar to the top one, but with a natural finish. It was quite neck heavy, but the neck played well (it was a bolt-on BTW). I couldn't tell you how it sounded, as my ears weren't terribly developed at the time, and I was playing through a 5 watt solid state amp. Couldn't tell you if it was Korean or Japanese, but I would lean towards the former.

13. jeremy9222

jeremy9222 Senior Member

bump, my pop's bassist has had the same vantage for about 40 years, thing a beaut, a natural relic :]

14. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Mr Fuzzy - I remember playing a couple of VP-795's years ago. They were nice - I haven't seen one for years, though they must be around somewhere.

15. Wuchak

Wuchak Senior Member

My Dad had one sitting around for years that he picked up in the late 70's along with an old Fender Bassman amp and what was a very large Ampeg combo that had been converted into a cabinet and a huge spring reverb unit. The one he had was a LP copy with a natural finish flamed maple top, maple fretboard, and all gold hardware. I was just learning to play but I remember the frets on it were really flat and the layer of poly they put on the fretboard made it hard to play. He traded it off along with the Bassman and Ampeg for some DJ stuff. I wish he'd kept all that stuff, especially the amp.

16. Mr. Fuzzy

Mr. Fuzzy Senior Member

I am pretty sure the VP795 was not part of the Korean made Vantage line.
    That serial Number looks correct for a early 80's MIJ Vantage.

The Korean vantages had a different serial number "style" They look like a printed decal and usually said made in Korea under the finish.
    The MIJ serials look like a word burn engraving.

The set neck Japanese Vantages Had a "Made In Japan" sticker that usually falls off, wears off or is easily removed. The bolt neck models had "Made In Japan" engraved in the neck plate.

17. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Years ago, when I came off the road and had to go back to the "9 to 5" to survive, my Boss had just inherited a Vantage "Flying V" style guitar.:hmm: I was really skeptical, but after I did a cleanup and setup, it played pretty well!:shock: A fine guitar for a beginner/intermediate player ( which this guy was......). Being the Les Paul devotee that I am, I had him play my Pauls side-by-side next to the Vantage V.:shock: He said, "How come your Gibsons are louder, and I can hold the notes longer before they die?"( I told you he was not very experienced with guitars! hahahaha!:D). I told him it was mainly the weak, stock pickups in the Vantage. Luckily for him, I had a Seymour JB laying around, he agreed to try it in the bridge position.:D Well, obviously, the guitar now sounded louder and more agressive, with much better sustain.:dude: I was his hero and was preparing to move up in the company......until he got an emergency transfer to another territory.:mad2:
    I love guitars, but REALLY hate sales......................

18. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

Our lead singer had one for years and none of us had ever heard of them, and he was a heavy smoker so we always joked that he most have smoked enough Vantage cigarettes that they sent him a free guitar.

19. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

What a great anecdote!:dude: Wonder why there aren't any "Gibson" brand cigarettes!:lol:

20. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

A bass player I jammed with in the 80's had a vantage bass.It was like considered a budget brand i believe but it played and sounded just fine