Anybody Pre-Order a TV Pelham Blue Series Guitar Yet?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by iliketoplay, Apr 27, 2013.

1. iliketoplay

iliketoplay Senior Member

I put in my order for a Les Paul Custom pro a couple weeks ago. Getting super anxious! Sweetwater said they'd have it early May, but the Epiphone site says they'll be available in June. Luckily I already have a couple great guitars to tide me over until then :D

I plan on removing the pick guard, changing the knobs to gold speed knobs and the pickup rings/switch cover to white. Can't wait to have another Les Paul around!

Is anybody else waiting on one of the TV Pelham Blue guitars?

Attached Files:

2. g8tr

g8tr Elitist Club Member Premium Member

Yes, I put in my order last October. Feels like I'm waiting on a Budokan.

1 person likes this.
  3. MadWolfZX

MadWolfZX Senior Member

I did pre-order the SG Maestro. I no longer have it pre-ordered after finding out what the 'TV' designation indicated. Thankfully, I already have a Pelham Blue (not tv) SG Meastro. I still want white neck binding, however. That is the only plus to the 'TV' Meastro version.

4. mondomojo

mondomojo Senior Member

So what exactly does tv stand for? I hate seeing acronyms and not having a clue. Don't care for the look much myself.

5. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

TV = Television

back in the time of black & white TV it had to be a special color to look good,
    had to be not glossy

TV-yellow was born.....

AFAIK

5 people like this.
  6. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

Even though it shows the pickguard in the press photos, I think it may not have a pickguard. Check the specs on this page:

TV Pelham Blue Les Paul Custom PRO

It says "pickguard none"

And no TV Les Paul Custom's for me.....[​IMG] cause Epi don't like us Canadians up here EH?

[​IMG]

7. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

Very pretty! But i want a GT. Like Barcham's.

1 person likes this.
  8. MadWolfZX

MadWolfZX Senior Member

In so far as Epiphone's use of 'TV'; this means the paint is one very thin coat with a thick clear coat over the base. The base is applied so thin that some of the wood's grain/color is visible. Think of a $1 can a spray paint applied with 1 coat to wood. That is basically how 'TV' designation finishes appear.

Epiphone TV Pelham Blue:
    [​IMG]

Here is Pelham Blue maestro sg:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Yeah I saw some "TV Silver" examples on wildwwod earlier today and they looked terrible....like a hack job refin...spose they are trying to reach the instant aged crowd...though it doesnt look aged, just poorly done, cheap and lazy.

10. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I ordered one, iLike.... they told me it would arrive at Sweetwater HQ the week of May 6th. In the meantime I changed my mind and bought a Tribute Plus, because of the pickup upgrades and it comes with a case, all for $599 out the door.

I cancelled the TV Pelham Lester order because I can't afford another guitar, but that color with the visible grain sure looks sweet. I hope you get it sooner rather than later, and I look forward to a NGD thread from you when it comes!

11. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

I think it looks bad, especially close up, here is a TV silver explorer from Wildwood,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like dog crap to me, a full coat of paint and a satin finish sure, but a poor paint job is a poor paint job, be it by design or accident, it s cheap lazy way to get a simulated aged look....I'm sure it will appeal to some folks, but not me...and its a shame some of the models and color options interest me....the hack paint job is a deal breaker though.

The stock promo pics look much better than the actual retail examples I've seen, I'd buy carefully from a place you can see exactly what you are getting.

1 person likes this.
  12. iliketoplay

To each his own, I suppose. I think the finish looks cool (though, the silver is definitely not my bag). I was considering cancelling my order in favor of another Tribute Plus, but I'd like a little variety and I've always wanted a Les Paul with the split diamond and block inlays :D

13. MadWolfZX

MadWolfZX Senior Member

The TV finish really pissed me of because I had high hopes for an Epiphone SG with neckbinding - especially in Pelham Blue - so learning what the TV designation means only served to aggravate me.

1 person likes this.
  14. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Hmmm ... Firebird could be interesting ... but wary of the finish from the pics here. If my local store gets one I'll go check it out but don't think I'll be pre-ordering anything.

15. g8tr

I actually had a standard Pelham Blue, the paint on it was thick and it was a good guitar. Noticed a couple of problems with the neck I couldn't get worked out, so I sent it back. Now just waiting on the custom.
    The standard finish was not see through, it was as thick as any other Epi I've had. Course it isn't part of the TY series.

16. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

than it was not from the new TV-pelham blue series...:D

17. g8tr

Yes Peter, I was editing at the same time you were posting.

1 person likes this.
  18. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

The more I think about these the harder it is to wrap my head around them....the same old thick poly on top of an ultra thin color coat....its backwards from what folks want...most folks want a thinner not quite as glassy clear coat...they want gloss but want it toned down...

I think these will also become a bit of a nightmare for sight unseen etailers, sort of reminds me of Gibsons first run of the 50'sand 60's tribute studios, most had very little simulated wear, usually a few areas around the edges smacked with a wire brush and that was it.....but a few examples that made it into the wild had softball sized bare patches in very odd locations.....for the Gibson tributes the surprises were few and far between and most looked like the stock examples....these seem to be the other way around and thats not a good thing.

The neck joint on that TV silver from Wildwood scares me too, in 2011 I tried jumping on the Pelham Blue ES-339 ultra (I made a couple threads about them here)....and it was a build quality nightmare across multiple examples, totally unpolished frets, the first one had a big blob on a fret that looked like it was hit with a hot poker and just left, the neck joints were all sloppy as hell and left me wondering what they looked like on the inside...and that was a guitar they were asking $800 strett price for.....still pisses me off because I love the look of that guitar ( couldnt care less about the fancy elctronic BS) but the color combined with the shape and the single F-hole is stunning and unique.....that experience of modern MIC epi's has left me very wary....I had an early MIC epi LP classic plus that was put together beautifully, but even after new pups and total electronics overhaul it was still uninspiring to play....so we parted ways quickly.

Sorry if it seems I'm blatantly hating on Epiphone, I value my old mid 90's epi MIK sorrento above guitars in my collection worth 2-3 times more in monetary value, modern epi and even Gibson fit and finish quality just seems all over the place of late. My MIJ Gretsch 6117T is the most well built production run guitar I've ever owned, since getting that it is harder for me to ovelook things I used to in the past, especially at certain price points.....over $500 street, fit and finish need to meet or exceed high standards...not the highest standards but mediocre doesnt cut it.

19. MadWolfZX

MadWolfZX Senior Member

I decided to return my LP Prophecy EX and a gold top solid body Gretsch Electromatic G5445T is one of the top contenders to replace it. But I have never seen these newer Electromatic models in person; not sure what to expect in quality. That, or an Ibanez RGA42E(had active EMGs). If I go for the Gretsch, I'll probably get some active EMGs to install in my Epiphone LP Custom; I loved them in the Prophecy EX and I want at least one guitar with EMGs on hand.

20. iliketoplay

The more I look at pictures of that silver explorer, the more concerned I get. The finish is very uneven, the neck joint has a visible crack in the poly, maybe worse...

I cancelled my pre-order and will either order when they are in stock at Sweetwater so I can choose from the gallery, or just order another T+ :D