Any Vintage Aria Pro II Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by DDcat, Jan 24, 2008.

1. hardangerfjol

hardangerfjol Senior Member

lots of memories for me too...thanks !

h.

2. greezy strings

greezy strings Junior Member

thanks Ohjay, Im not worried about it being completely originalÂ… just want a good guitar that is a bit unique, not common and sounds and plays good. I have looked for pricing info and just wanted to see if this price was the going rate, fair etc. Thanks again!

3. zagrugle

zagrugle Junior Member

Can anyone identify this Aria Pro II? I thought I grabbed a shot of the back, but it looks like I didn't. I can post one later if you need. It has a bolt on neck with 3 bolts. I can't find a serial number anywhere. If I had to guess from my research, I would guess a 90s MIK, but that would be a total guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. zagrugle

zagrugle Junior Member

My photos disappeared. Lets try this again. Maybe I'll have better luck with photobucket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Yeah looks korean to me, can't say much more than that. My field of expertise is the MIJ(Matsumoku) made Arias...

6. corbo

corbo Senior Member

had the same one in natural finish, my first guitar , had a bolt on neck

7. JeA_fX

JeA_fX Junior Member

Hello guys.. Great post here.. And I saw that I have had recent replies.. I want to ask if anyone have seen an Aria Pro II PE, like mine.. Because I bought it last week, and I've been looking for more information but I couldn't find any.. I've alreay know that's it's Korean, but does someone can tell me more please?..

Attached Files:

8. danny

danny Member

This is my new baby !!!
    my friend finally gave up JAJAJAJAJAJA
    it's gonna have a very good upgrade top pickups (gibson)and everything I spent like three hours just taking out the old parts cleaning and polishing!!!

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. tsukoboi

tsukoboi Junior Member

Hi guys have an a Ariapro II that needs to be id'd. Well iknow its a les paul custom copy. Mahogany pancake construction, 3 pcs maple neck i think, correct diamond decal. I know its from 1980 due tothe serial number. Can you guys help me id this baby

Attached Files:

10. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

It's an LC-500.
    Also it could be from 1979. There's been a recent discovery regarding Matsumoku serials where it's the 3rd digit that identifies the year.
    There is no difference between a 1979 and 1980 LC-500 so it's somewhat hard to know which year yours is from.

11. tsukoboi

tsukoboi Junior Member

Gee thanks for the info...soits a matsumoko aria then huh... Thanks a lot. 1979 or 1980 works foor me as longas its fom that era i dont care about the details... Im not even born that year so my guitar is kinda older thanme... Lol...

12. fsfx

fsfx Junior Member

hey I have a question . I was just given a Japanese made aria pro II FS series black electric guitar. I have never played electric always been an acoustic guy...but I can't seem to find any info on this particular model..what is it and is it worth anything?

13. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

I doubt it's japanese, more likely late 80's korean. Images will help though ;)

14. fsfx

fsfx Junior Member

it says made in Japan on the back. I'll put up pictures when I figure out how haha

15. fsfx

fsfx Junior Member

16. fsfx

fsfx Junior Member

Here is a picture of one. Same as mine

Attached Files:

17. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

I do not recall to ever have seen the FS featured in any catalogues from the MIJ-era of Aria Pro.
    From what I've learned, production of the FS started shortly after Matsumoku closed down in 1987. Thus it wouldn't be unlikely that leftover parts(like neckplates) had been shipped to Korea and used on the first guitars produced there. But this is a bit of guess-work, there isn't much information available about what happened when Matsumoku closed down.

For anyone reading this much later, I just wanted to add that there is a model called FS that is indeed japanese and made by Matsumoku, but that's a semi-acoustic guitar....

18. fsfx

fsfx Junior Member

oh jay you certainly know your stuff. Thanks for the info that was just what I wanted to know

19. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Member

I have a couple, not LP copies, but non the less Aria Pro II's
    1979 Cardinal CS-250

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1983 Urchin U-60T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I think I've figured out the confusion here (if you haven't already in the two years since that post:laugh2:). Here is a neck plate from an FS on Ebay:

[​IMG]

Now, you can just make out under "Arai & Co.", it says simply "Japan". Not, "Made in Japan". This is actually a common practice by companies to list their headquarters location on a neck plate, arguably for deceptive purposes. Many an Epiphone says "Nashville, TN" on its neck plate.:hmm:

And as to the theory of Japanese parts being used on Korean models, it's a common myth with owners of many brands, and maybe a real possibility in some cases, but we know Aria shifted production to Samick, who, at that point, had already been building guitars for 22 years. And started engraving their own neckplates around 1983.