Any Vintage Aria Pro II Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by DDcat, Jan 24, 2008.

1. djjagdish

djjagdish Senior Member

Thanks, man - definitely a 750...I was assuming 1980 since the serial # begins with a "80", probably a bad assumption - info on this model is really hard to come by!

2. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Yeah that is way wrong ;)

Almost all Arias follow the same scheme and there is one for bolt-ons and one for setneck/neckthrough.
    Bolt-on: first two digits give the year, ex: 810303 = 1981
    Others: first digit gives the year, ex: 810303 = 1978

There are of course discrepancies and deviations, but the above works in 97% of all cases.

So, your guitar is from 1978 which is a lot more probable.

1 person likes this.
  3. djjagdish

djjagdish Senior Member

Makes sense - thanks! I like the stock pickups, but debating throwing 57 classics in it.

4. alampre

alampre Junior Member

re Stock PUs
    I don't know what they're like in your guitar, but I changed the PUs in both my PEs very early on + it made a huge difference. I bought my PER60 in 1980 and had a PRS HFS2 put in the bridge pos in '85ish and had Kent Armstrong rewind the neck PU. I got the Black and Gold PE back when I was touring pretty much all the time in the '90s and my guitar tech changed the PUs for me - again - huge difference. I only recently found out that he put one of those pink DiMarzios in the bridge position! You can't tell because he put black metal PU covers on both PUs. It's just as well he didn't tell me cos I wouldn't have been happy. It sounds good though. No idea what he put in the neck position.
    The original PUs (in these 2 guitars anyway) sounded very thin.

1 person likes this.
  5. geddy

geddy Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Aria Pro 2 LS450

I'm sure I bought it in '77 and I seem to recall it was second hand then.
    Tobacco Sunburst, slight birds eye maple top. Still as it came from the factory except for the jack plate and a pot which sheared off a couple of years ago. Oh and some nasty dents from the same incident involving a midnight wall hanger failure and a Marshall Amp :(

The action is unbelievably good and it's so comfortable to play.

1 person likes this.
  6. geddy

geddy Senior Member

[​IMG]

Cant find a better one with the headstock in it.

7. johnt

johnt Senior Member

I would love to still have my 1977 'violin sunburst' LS500VS. Pancake body, neck volute, Protomatic open coil humbuckers.:)

Sold it some years back, like a fool when I fancied a Fender and couldn't afford both.:(

If anyone in the UK is looking to sell an Aria Pro II Les Paul of that era please let me know, either here or via PM. They don't turn up much on Ebay.

I know that you can buy them from one or two Japanese exporters, but add the shipping, import dury and VAT and the guitar is costing nearly double.

Seriously, let me know.

JohnT

8. Mad Dog Australian

Mad Dog Australian Junior Member

Got one to sell if your interested John, check out the bay it's on there now

1 person likes this.
  9. johnt

johnt Senior Member

Hi, sending you a PM.
    Thanks
    John:)

10. Tokai Hunter

Tokai Hunter Senior Member

What would prices be like for a Aria Pro 2 Custom Les Paul.. there's one a friend has with three pickup sets and its a black top from the 1980s and he wants US$450...is it too much to pay for!

11. *balikpapan*

*balikpapan* Senior Member

I was reading an interview with Ulf Wakenius yesterday, he recorded his first album on his Aria pro II LP copy. Said he judges his guitars on sound, not name. When he played with Carlos Santana, Santana said "I see you play a Gibson Les Paul", he was gobsmacked when he learnt it was an Aria...

12. johnt

johnt Senior Member

Well I've just driven back from Coventry. Mad Dog Australian met me there (about half way for both) and the deal was done.

I am now the proud owner of a 1981 Aria Pro II 'Leopard' LS 600 in tobacco sunburst and in fantastic condition. Heavy as ****! Wide strap needed.

Note the open book headstock. It has a two piece mahogany body (not pancake) and a three piece maple neck.

Mad Dog is also a lovely guy too. Good to meet you mate.

More pictures to follow.

JohnT

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  13. Mad Dog Australian

Mad Dog Australian Junior Member

It was great to meet you too John, and I'm glad you are enjoying the Leopard it's in amazing condition for its age.
    Give me a shout if you ever come up north.
    All the best
    Phil

1 person likes this.
  14. greebs

greebs Member

Here's my Aria I bought new in 1985. Not seen one with this color in any catalog or picture. I modded it over the years but kept all the original parts.
    Here in 1986
    [​IMG]
    And in 2010
    [​IMG]

15. JDB

JDB Senior Member

I can tell the first pic is 1985 by the lovely colour carpet and the bedspread has now become curtains:laugh2:

3 people like this.
  16. Delfinoplastia

Delfinoplastia Junior Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm new at this amazing forum and I was wondering if you could help me know a little more about my new Aria Pro II Les Paul Custom.
    As far as I know it's from 1980 but I would like to know the exact model an everything you could tell me about it. Looks like a Mahogany pancake body (doesent have the thin piece of maple in between), 3-piece maple top, 3-piece maple neck and I think it's a rosewood fretboard not ebony.
    What about the pickups? I really dont know what are they.

What do you think would be a good upgrade for this instrument to take it to a more professional level? I'm not really comfortable with it sound yet but I feel like it is a good guitar to improve.

Here are some detailed pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bhj117oai425x8f/pdyie1MgCp#/

Thank you!

17. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Here is my Aria Pro II Pe-125. Very cool and rare! I have not been able to locate another on the internet in the Wine finish!
    The official Aria Pro II catalog shows it in a Natural finish, but only mentions Wine Red as an option. Catalog Image

This is a top tier build in comparison to most other 1970's Les Paul copies. No pancake construction, or 3 piece maple neck. Here we go: 1) decorative German Carved center seamed solid maple top with 3 piece back 2) tortoise shell binding on the body and alongside the neck 3) maple fretboard 4) 17 degree headstock angle with a chunky 50's Les Paul style 1 piece neck

According to the brief description the catalog gives: Maple carved top, built-in neck, maple fingerboard, pickup: Double

Though there is no further specs it is safe to assume the back of the body is mahogany as well as the neck.

The truss rod cover says Custom (I forgot to take pic of that)

The original owner swapped out a few things including the toggle switch, put on Grover tuners (these appear to be from the 1970's) and I believe the pickups as well, as they do not resemble what is shown in the catalog. The three wire pickups sound very good, especially the neck!
    If anyone else has any other info on these please reply.

Body
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Neck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Neck pickup Routing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bridge Pickup Routing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fretboard
    [​IMG]
    Electronics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. elscorcho

elscorcho Member

19. greezy strings

greezy strings Junior Member

Hi there, been following this thread and now have a chance to buy this Aria pro II PE 600 all original except for a cheap replacement bridge pup and the V and T knobs. He wants $375.00 have not had a chance to see it or play it yet.. any opinions on the guitar and the price? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

20. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Doubt you'll be disappointed with that guitar. The PE-series are very good guitar imho.
    The fact that it's not original will make it worth less than one that is all original, and that's all I'll say about value.