Any Vintage Aria Pro II Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by DDcat, Jan 24, 2008.

1. DDcat

DDcat Senior Member

I picked up a Japanese market Aria Pro II Les paul knock-off awhile back and was wondering if there are any other fans out there.

Mine's from 1980 and is sort of a bastard copy of late 70's Gibson. It has a small headstock and long neck tenon with a pancake body and 3 piece maple neck (thin profile like late 70's LPs) It also has fret-edge binding.

It was a little shrill with the stock Dimarzio in the bridge so I stuck in a Duncan Antiquity and it really sings. All in all I'm pretty impressed for the price.

Attached Files:

2. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

Nice find!

3. taypeng

taypeng Senior Member

Hey DDcat, my first guitar, given to me by a friend, was an Aria pro II cardinal series. Something like an SG-copy. It was pretty cool. Ash-body, two humbuckers with two coil-tap switches. the tone was nothing to shout about but overall they make a pretty good guitar

4. PAF MAN

PAF MAN Member

yes, i have 5 of them. mahagony bodies, maple top, 3 piece maple necks. the gold top is stock (not to crazy about the p-90's though). the tobacco had original dimarzios that were pretty blah, so i changed them to dimarzios (paf-neck and sd-bridge). cherry is stock with aria's t-tops that sound fantastic but microphonic. the ebony has the same pu's as the the tobacco and i have another tobacco on the other wall.
    [​IMG]

fishkc10boom likes this.
  5. DDcat

DDcat Senior Member

Wow a wall of them! I guess that makes you a fan. That cherry burst looks nice. Is that a LS600?

I figure mine to be a LS600 from the fret edge binding and the 2 screw rod cover but I'm not sure. Do you know the difference between a 600 and a 700?

Anyhow, nice wall of Aria Pro II's

6. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

:: PERK:: Did somebody Say LONG Neck Tenon ? Hmmmmm Bears Investingating then for me ! Thanks for the heads up, I have seen them and some were really nice, yours appear to be great examples
    any pickup cavity shots?

7. M.T. Pockets

M.T. Pockets V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I've owned a couple of Arias Pro IIs.
    I bought a LP copy off the bay (early model without a serial number) and before I got it someone sent me an offer $150 higher than I paid for it.
    Nice guitar, but that kind of thing just don't happen everyday.
    Had to send it on.

8. PAF MAN

PAF MAN Member

thanks DD!
    the fret binding is a give away that yours probably is a ls-600, but all ls-700's i have seen have the machine tuners. is it a chambered body (i doubt it is with the fret binding)? i have never seen a chambered ls 600/700. many of the 1980 ls-600/700's came with unpotted dimarzios (slightly hotter than paf's), aria pro11 machine tuners, 2 screw truss rod cover and fret binding. most of the ls-600 had a 3 piece maple neck while most of the 700's had a 3 piece mahagony neck. i have yet to see one ls-600/700 without a long tenon. i believe all 600/700's were solid mahagony body/maple top. let's see a pic of the neck pocket!

a ls-700(?) 59 replica auction just ended today. i missed out on that one.:(

my cherry is a 1980 ls-500, the tobacco is a ls-600, the ebony is a "leopard" model (not too easy to find) which i believe is a ls-450 chambered, the other tobacco is a ls-500 chambered, and the gt is a ls-500.

[​IMG]

9. DDcat

DDcat Senior Member

My AP II is not chambered. Neck is maple body is mahogany. I kind of figured it a L600.

Thanks for the info!

10. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I had a really early Tabacco burst which had had a broken headstock. Although the repair smacked of the amateur, it held tune really well and it was one of my favourite guitars of all time. Wish I still had it.

11. loaded six string

loaded six string V.I.P. Member

Neal Schon was a aria pro II endorsee back in the day
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. eddie007

eddie007 Junior Member

here is mine ive not a clue how old it is as it has NO marking at all. ive read up and aparantly they started putting serial numbers on them in the 70s so dose the fact mine has none at all mean its from b4 said period?? P3010221.JPG

P3010219.JPG

13. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

14. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I've been looking for an old PE-R80 for a long time, but every one I've found has had issues.

15. BananAlan

BananAlan Junior Member

Hey Loaded:
    Do you have any other pictures of Neals Custom Aria's? Neal and I are looking for pictures of the neck joint specifically. The Sunburst one and the Gold one. Thanks!
    You can email me directly at alan.rosen@bananasmusic.com

16. fisheric

fisheric Senior Member

or you could post it here so everyone could enjoy it.

17. tanayut

tanayut Junior Member

YES I AMMMMMMMM !!!!!
    BUT....can u help me..?
    tell me the model & details of this guitar...
    i dont know what model is this guitar...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. UITA

UITA Senior Member

Never seen one of those before are you 100% sure it's an Aria? That Diamond looks well of. Does it look like it's been re sprayed?

19. tanayut

tanayut Junior Member

i´m just member , sorry I´m post 3 times. No I´m not sure its Aria, but have logo and sound very good, possible they have some special model you think? and the man who sell have bill too , at the bill they write "made in usa" .

20. UITA

UITA Senior Member

Sounds a bit suspect "made in USA". I'm guessing it's a bolt on? Looks unusual, never seen that headstock on an Aria LP. I'll do some research.