Any thoughts on Rocksmith as a teaching aid

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by melikecookies, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Anything that motivates someone to play and practice can be considered a good teaching aide. I've had some experience with Rocksmith and thought it was cool for the most part - the beginner guitarist will learn how to move across the fretboard, play in proper rhythm and time with the song, and learn how to play simple riffs that eventually become more and more complex as the he or she progresses. The experienced guitar player can use it as a nice practice tool that can provide some challenge and motivation to play songs accurately.

The game will not teach the player theory, picking and fretting technique, hand posistioning, improvisation, sight reading, etc. which IMO are all very important for any serious student.

So in short, I would say that RS is cool for what it does but it is in no means a substitute for a good instructor.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

I've found that the odds of finding a good instructor are similar to those of winning the mega millions jackpot. Instead most of us have to use the internets for learnin and tools like Rocksmith for practical application.

3. Obsequio

Obsequio Senior Member

I bought Rocksmith about a month ago and it is so much fun. I've been playing for nearly 20 years. I've never had a lesson, so since I more proficient than a beginner I've been able to learn a lot in a short time.

I'm sure a beginner could learn form Rocksmith, though it could be a little frustrating when you don't see immediate results. You have to stick with it and play chords only.

I'm happy to say that today I will take my first guitar lesson ever. I take it seriously and want to improve my skills. Rocksmith definitely shows a lot of mistakes I make. I would suggest looking for a good guitar teacher. I hope I get a good one tonight. If you don't like them look for another and ask for references.

4. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

I like Rocksmith. Its my fun time to play along with the band. toughens my fingers, like the chord of the dead type games. I don't play it as much as I did when I first started, too busy learning scales and chord changes. lol. Its still a lot of fun and keeps me motivated by letting me play along keeping rhythm. better than click, click,click. Since ive started playing the blues scale to backing tracks I just cant stop!!

1 person likes this.
  5. theWhiteKeys

theWhiteKeys Senior Member

as a pure beginner (as I was) I am not to sure it is so great. It was an xmas gift along with my guitar, and while it is fun, it can lead to a LOT of bad habits. the game just shows you what notes to play it doesn't give any feed back as to how you should play the notes or hold your guitar. I started playing with the guitar resting in my palm, thumb up too high. Which would make transitioning to other chords and notes incredibly difficult later on. I would slide my finger between 2 notes instead of stretching out my pointer and ring finger. Just little stupid stuff I didnt think about cause I had NO CLUE.

My buddy came over one day and i was just messin with the guitar playing Next girl by the black keys and he was like wtf are you doing thats all wrong man.
    So i put the game aside and took to the internet to teach myself for real. havent touched the game since, but probably will soon to learn some black keys tunes ;) And i have made tremendous strides in my short 4-5months time, more than i thought I would learn or be able to.

Guitar and music is a beautiful thing.

6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I don't think rocksmith is for a pure beginner... I think you gotta hit a few justinguitar lessons or something if it's the first time to pick up an instrument... my buddy started playing with rocksmith too... I showed him how to hold the pick, and some easy starting practice

for me the greatest value of rocksmith is focus... it assigns you songs, or you can pick the songs you want to work on, and focus on learning the songs, and not focus on amp settings, etc... it gets you used to playing with other instruments in time.

1 person likes this.