Any other people have this kind of paint wear?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by TLespaul, Nov 19, 2018.

1. TLespaul

TLespaul Senior Member

My LP Studio had this small worn-off area between the two pickups for I-don't-know-how-long. I did buy it slightly used in 2012, but it probably didn't have this at the time.

IMG_20181119_061947.jpg

I don't think it's actually from the pick. What I did notice is that the way I place my picking hand has the lower fingers going on and off the guitar's body, and if my nails are not completely trimmed I suppose it might slightly but consistently rub material off the finish and eventually off the paint itself.

StudioFan likes this.
  2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Everyone is a bit different.
    I brace with my pinky a lot of the time.....my strats for example have a quite a bit of pickguard scratching and I really don't play each guitar an awful lot (having quite a few).

3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

The finish looks thin so, sure, some regular abrasion could wear though it. Excellent work!

4. TLespaul

TLespaul Senior Member

How can you tell from this photo?

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Its usually the edge of the wear mark....you can see how much clear and coloured there is

rabidhamster and cooljuk like this.
  6. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Member

Congratulations. That's the upside/downside of nitro-cellulose.
    Look on the bright side. It happened to Gary Moore, too.
    People pay a lot of money to have that done to their new guitars.

indeedido, Subterfuge and lakeburst like this.
  7. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

No, because pickguard, on.

8. TLespaul

TLespaul Senior Member

Any reason for using the nitro finish vs other more durable ones, then? Though the wear on my guitar (other than a few dings at the edges) is very much contained to that spot, which looks a bit weird vs what you'll usually might see.

Yeah, it didn't have one when I bought it and I guess I didn't think of adding one.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  9. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

The two main reasons for the use of lacquer are the fact that it's a easier to repair, and it helps enhance the look of the wood.

Burny FLG likes this.
  10. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

+1

11. PierM

Not weird at all for a nitro finished guitar. It's called mojo.......:)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. TLespaul

TLespaul Senior Member

Yeah, but yours is kind of spread around and mine is just that small smudge.

And how come the wood color revealed underneath is so different between our two Les Pauls? They should both be mahogany, no? Or perhaps I didn't wear the coating off completely so it still whitens the wood a bit?

EDIT: I just looked around at pictures elsewhere and noticed this same worn guitar, so... I guess you don't own it, lol.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  13. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Member

Nitro gets used by the higher end manufacturers, because it 'ages gracefully'.
    Whether it "looks better"... to paraphrase a post I made in another thread - there is no such thing as sound quality, just sound, and opinion... same applies to looks, you either like something or you don't, that's just your opinion...
    Todays nitro is not the same as it was back in 'the golden era'. It takes ages to cure. It's horrible to spray - easy to spray, but bad for yer health. It sinks into the wood grain eventually. It's not very chemically resistant.
    Poly is rock hard, so when your new Strat is 60 years old, it'll still look the same - if you buy polish for a poly finish, you're wasting your money. It takes a lot of abuse, but when it reaches 'breaking point' it chips. It dries quick and is enviromentally less unfriendly than nitro. After the apocalypse, the only things that will survive will be cockroaches and poly finished guitars.
    The main reason why poly is much more common than nitro is that it's cheaper to use.
    Unless you're custom ordering a guitar, it's all irrelevant. Most of the world uses poly. I think, only Gibson, and maybe Ricenbacker, are the only mass production manufacturers using nitro exclusively, anyone else using nitro is only doing it on their topend and/or custom models.

As for the wood underneath and it's colour... maple and mahoghany aren't that different in colour - maple is almost white, mahoghany is actually similiar in colour to what most people think maple is. Also, maple gets dirty very quickly when exposed.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  14. gcbike

gcbike Senior Member

Tops are maple.That mark is from oils from your fingers.same thing happens on neck over time

15. TLespaul

TLespaul Senior Member

It sounds like there are no real upsides to nitro for anyone involved other than for Gibson asking for a supposedly justified premium for it.

16. PierM

Ahahah no! This is a famous burst! Check out the goldfinger too, you'll be amazed by what fingers and playing position can do to your finish....

As I said, all my LPs sports a pickguard. ;)

J50315 likes this.
  17. TLespaul

TLespaul Senior Member

Ah, that could be it. If it's not all-mahogany then the revealed light wood color underneath isn't as aesthetic, in my opinion.

18. JohnnyPhatsaqs

JohnnyPhatsaqs Senior Member

Was just talking about this kinda of wear in my thread. Exactly why I’m adding a pick guard to my 2018 Classic. My pinky rests there quite a bit.

19. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

82436C88-BF9F-4B5F-A1A3-33C8F911CB90.jpeg Dave Meniketti’s #1 guitar 1960 Les Paul. Your LP on par with the legends :)

CRobbins, JTM45, judson and 8 others like this.
  20. JohnnyPhatsaqs

JohnnyPhatsaqs Senior Member

Seems it has looked that way since at least 87

musicmaniac and StudioFan like this.