Any old Mesa Boogies out there?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by NorlinBlackBeauty, Mar 1, 2018.

1. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Been here for several months and have yet to see some older examples. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? Lots of modern era Mark Vs and such.

Here is my bought factory direct new in 1980 Mark IIB. As I recall there were only two stores nationwide who stocked a small number of them. Let's see yours ... there have to be some here.

Click for full size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

My buddy has a 70's Mk1 minty mint with ALL documentation and road case and all the goodies that make it a perfect collector amp.

It's really awesome, but to me it's too clean. It's so flawless it could be a museum piece.

He has all kinds of cool stuff. Like the bloody V that Chris Holmes used in WASP and the Pipes guitar the other dude in WASP used.

He's a lucky dude.

wildhawk1 likes this.
  3. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

NBB, looks like you've really kept that amp in beautiful condition. Would be nice to be able to play a vintage Mesa, but I don't think I've ever seen any in my local stores. They must sound great. 100/60 watts a bit too much for a home player like me, but I'd love to hear one live.

NorlinBlackBeauty likes this.
  4. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Does this qualify as old:

[​IMG]
    It's a 1988 Mark III Simulclass blue stripe with all options. It was ordered new directly from Boogie as a wedding gift from the misses.:love:

I originally had an Altec 417 in it, but it was a bit too bright for me. I then moved to an EVM 12S which is the perfect speaker for this amp and cab. It has the right high end smoothness and the lows really fill out the rather small cabinet. Lately however, I have been trying a Jensen Blackbird in it and I like it better for the clean to light breakup tones than the EV. The EV still rules with the OD tones though.

I have gigged it on and off over the years. The only reason it is not gigged any longer is because it is too @#$%^&! heavy! The last time the misses tried to lift it, she thought I was playing a trick on her and had it bolted to the floor. It weighs about 70 pounds with the EV.:eek2:

I had it sent back to Mesa two years ago for Mike Bendinelli to give it a thorough once over, add the Rhythm 2 mod to even out the channel levels and warm up the bias a bit so I could find some current tubes to place in it. It is really singing now!

Although most people associate the Mark III with the Metallica sound, the cleans and Rhythm 2 really surprise people. When they hear the beautiful cleans and light OD tones that the Mark III can produce and add those to the singing Santana tones and the brutal Metallica tones it is more famously known for, the usual reaction is shock followed by "Is yours for sale?". (No, it's not if anyone is curious.;))

All of the old Marks are versatile, sound great and built like tanks. I think they are one of the best values on the used amp market today. If only they didn't weigh so much..............

5. NorlinBlackBeauty

So ... just three so far.

Super cool, clean minty. I have documentation scattered about and find a piece every so often. They used to send xmas cards for several years.

My problem is I stop playing for years on end, start up again, stop, etc. It still has its soft lined vinyl form fit cover that has kept it nearly new. All tubes are original and seem to be holding up quite well. I call mine a time capsule piece.

I used to play in various garage bands - the last of which had a drummer whos volume was at 11 all of the time. The 100 was super handy. I am now a home player only and yes, 60 / 100 total overkill. Has a great sound with mostly preamp distortion.

Superb! From what I've read that is the most desirable model. I did not like the wicker / hardwood at first, but they have grown on me.

I'm convinced mine has gotten heavier of the years - it too is in the 60 - 70 pound range. If / when I take it anywhere again, it needs wheels! Tanks indeed! Mine came with a 120 watt EV of unknown model #. Me thinks it is stamped on the back ...

6. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

My old pal Angelo Meli (Neptune Quartet... other stuff) had one of the very first Mesa's. He loved it. Played an L6s at the time, which he also loved. I see his name around from time to time. Of the folks I knew back in the day, he and a few others have lived their dream of being full time musicians.

7. cnote

cnote Premium Member

1985 IIC+ 60W with Reverb- the best high volume and low volume amp I have ever had. The best speaker for it is the rare Eminence-built 150W Black Shadow ribbed MS-12 - truly makes it sound nothing like a small combo, no extension cab needed, far better than the EV. So many tones. Got a clean bill of health at Mesa Boogie last year, where they replaced precisely one capacitor- the only repair needed over 3 decades. This is the least noisy amp I have ever had- dead silent if I am not playing.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  8. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

My main amp from 94-04 was a .50 Caliber+. It was a POS that I had to replace the transformer on 2x, and part of the board fried another time, so board replacement. There was also another time or two with other fried components.

I wouldn’t buy another one.

9. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I had a Mesa 20:20 power amp for a couple years back in 2013 or so. My main memory of it was how difficult it was to get a full set of Mesa-branded valves for it.

I hope whoever has it now makes far more use of it than I did.

10. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Not sure if you consider it old, but I own an early 90's DC10 head. Both it brand new, never had an issue with it. Still own it, but it doesn't get used much these days since I don't gig anymore. It was never really that popular of a model because it came out around the same time the dual rectifier came out. But I preferred the time of the DC over the rectifier.

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

My guitar buddy has a blond MK1.

12. Pwrmac7600

That the holy grail in boogie land!!! Jealous!!!

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

Here are mine.

'84 MKIIC+ 60 watt , '83 MKIIC 60/100 watt loaded head, '84 MKIIC+ Simul-Class loaded Bubinga/Wicker:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Pwrmac7600

Damn you people with your MK IIC+'s. Damn you all to hell!!!

Gtarzan81, wildhawk1 and Stuff like this.
  15. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

A bud of mine still gigs his old ass black Mk II he bought new when they first came out...
    Damndest little amp I've ever heard...
    On one of my trips to ATL a while back, I dropped by a club where he was doing a solo gig and told him I didn't know it will play that low...and still sounded phenomenal at low volume.
    That little amp can also get as loud as two hells...

One of those "Damn, I shoulda bought one of those" amps for sure....

16. Big John

Big John it's all about the shirt V.I.P. Member

Took me a while to find the pic...here's a shot of my pile from the early 90's.

[​IMG]

Hiding behind the red Warmoth strat is an original '74. Great sounding amp. Should've kept it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  17. cnote

cnote Premium Member

I've had a few IIC+s - the later ones can really do low volume stuff really well. They changed the pots at some point, and I think that's the biggest surprise for me - I never hear anyone say that a Mesa Boogie can sound great at any volume, but mine certainly does - from talking level on up to jet engine roar.

ehb likes this.
  18. NorlinBlackBeauty

I knew they were out there!

Very nice!!

A '74? Yeah, I'd have kept that one ...

19. NorlinBlackBeauty

Well then, seems we are a rare breed around here. Thanks to those who added their fine examples.

I know the IIBs were not known for their low volume performance, but I just spent a few hours with mine. It really does quite well. It is all I've known for 38+ years.

Will I ever play it near its 100 watts again? Who knows ...

20. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Cool thread. I know nothing about Mesa Boogies, (didn't the company start out modding Fenders?? or Marshallls???) but I still enjoy the thread.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.