Any love for the Hagstrom guitars ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by switchback, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Georgeous

Georgeous Junior Member

You can't go wrong with a dano for that sort of money IMO.

Re: original post I had a Hagstrom swede from the 70's. Played beautifully, low action ebony fretboard too I think. Sounded great over driven, more of a compressed sound than a gibson but unique.
    Do these Chinese companies work from original patented designs? I wonder.

2. kboman

kboman Senior Member

From what I understand the brand was resurrected by North American enthusiasts who recieved permission from the original company/foundation (to the degree that it even exists today; I'm not sure how these things work) to start production of the original models. It took them years to get going as they wanted to do their homework but I'd be very surprised if they didn't change at least some things to suit modern serial production. As has been mentioned, the electronics aren't exactly top of the line stuff.

3. kboman

kboman Senior Member

OK, I got curious so I looked it up :) This is what hagstromguitars.eu has to say:

- The Legend Returns

Also sourced from the website, all guitars use Graph Tech Black Tusq nuts custom made for Hagström. According to albinhagstrom.se the new instruments are manufactured through a license agreement.

The Northen Series is made in the Czech Republic and comes with Lundgren designed pickups.

4. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

I know i've said it in the past (and been flamed for it) but I dont think the electronics are all that bad :dunno: Some people hate it with a passion though... I've never really understood it personally.

Its interesting to hear the wood comes from North America though. I would have thought it'd be sourced through China and Indonesia cause it'd be cheaper.

5. grohlstheman

grohlstheman Senior Member

I know that Pat Smear of the foos loves Hagstroms. Which is somewhat strange considering nowadays they are somewhat like epiphone quality. Maybe he has some older/vintage ones?

6. kboman

kboman Senior Member

???

Haven't played many, have you?

Pat has his own signature model. He's played the prototype for years, since around the brand reappeared (close to ten years), and the production model was just released last year. He does collect the vintage ones, but it's his protoype that gets stage use on the world tours.

[​IMG]

Re the electronics, it was mainly the tone pots that I felt didn't work. The change in volume pots had minimal effect and I have since gotten used to the logarithmic taper (different pickups and '50s style wiring helped there).

7. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

I wont get into another debate about Hagstrom quality but in no way do I consider them "epiphone quality". From the 12 odd I have played/owned the only defect I have seen was an acoustic model which had the control plate screwed down too hard which caused a hairline crack about 3mm long. I have never been able to pick up on any other defects in the finish, binding, fretwork or hardware myself.

8. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

I stumbled across something ive never seen before last night on ebay...

[​IMG]

It's a TV yellow "Swede Custom" with P90s. Needless to say I bought it... and feeling incredibly sorry for it today after all the bills arrived. I must admit though I was really taken with it... I have a feeling it was a limited run in 2013 done by Hagstrom because I cant find any info on this anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  9. Andzzz

Andzzz Junior Member

I have been doing some research on Hagstrom, after seeing what I thought was a lovely looking Viking and came across this forum.

My question for you guys who know is what do you think of the Viking as a first guitar to learn on? Being the North side of 50 you could say I should have got around to this earlier, but hey, it's never too late unless you're in a box right!

Anyway, thoughts from anyone? Guess I am really interested in the 'playabilty' to begin with.

1 person likes this.
  10. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Sounds like a fine idea! Few guitars these days are downright low quality and especially the middle ground, where Hagström sits price wise, has improved immensely. I would go so far as to say that for the price of a Viking it's downright hard to find something that is poorly built or has poor playability; it's much more a question of taste when it comes to choosing what sound and look you're after.

I chose LP style guitars because my favourite music was recorded with with that and because they look very sexy :)

If you are looking for the semihollow, Gibson scale humbucker sound a Viking is a terrific choice!

11. Andzzz

Andzzz Junior Member

How about the Viking vs the Viking II .. any thoughts on that? I really find it hard with my very limited experience working out the differences.

12. kboman

kboman Senior Member

It doesn't look like the II model is made anymore, but from what I can find/remember it's a dressed-down version with a different headstock. The Deluxe has nicer finishes and/or a flamed maple top etc.

I think the regular Viking is a great place to start. Personally I love their Tremar vibrato so that's the model I would get myself.

13. Andzzz

Andzzz Junior Member

Thanks for that. I bought the Viking :)

1 person likes this.
  14. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Good for you! I hope it works out well for you :)

15. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

When I was looking for a 335 type guitar the Hagstrom was on my list. The old name from the 1970's got me to test it. They wanted about $600.00 for it and it was not worth that much. Better than the EPI's but I did not like them either.

16. WRH

WRH Junior Member

So I realize this is an old thread, but as I was looking for some info on some Hags I stumbled across. Thought I'd give me two cents on a Hagstrom Super Swede Tremar P-90s that I picked up for a great price. First of the build quality is good compared to other mid priced foreign models (Reverend, DiPinto, Italia, etc). She's heavy, but the three P-90s sound amazing. Fat tone and lots of options with a 6 way selector 1 vol and 3 tone pots. I now others have stated that their electronics blow, but the this guitar is clear as day (no mud maybe because no filters/coil tapping). The tremar (hags bigsby) works smooth and the tuning is stable if not used in excess. I like the little thoughts like putting volume knob up front for easy volume swells, the rotary selector was a little strange at first, but makes sense and looks better than blade on this guitar. Mines all black with cream binding, a mean looking combo when adding three chrome covered p 90s and chrome trem. Just a beaut of guitar and sounds great clean or cranked (easy to do with just a roll of the volume). This is the thinnest neck I've played on and have really been enjoying it for bends, slides and taps. Anyways I don't usual post, but felt compelled as there was little first hand info about this guitar from others.

1 person likes this.
  17. kboman

kboman Senior Member

The gods know electronics is very much up to personal preference - I've completely gutted and rewired my Swede three or four times by now. It's fun to tinker and it's fun to try new things :)

18. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

An old band mate came back into town and we played together for the first time in 20 years. He had a newer Hagstrom guitar with him (he sold the rest). You know what? It played and sounded pretty sweet. Nice neck, nice action and the pickups sounded really nice as well.

If a used one came up at a decent price, I would seriously consider it.

19. endial

endial Senior Member

I like my Swede just fine. Probably the most user-friendly neck and fretboard I've ever played. I'll never be anti-Richlite either, because the fretboard is basically the same stuff (called "Resinator"), and it's just great!
    It's got to be ten years or older a guitar and it could use a wiring upgrade, switches are showing some contact difficulties, but I have no Idea how well it was taken care of in the past (or not). I bought it two years ago for cheap.
    I'd love to check out their new P-90 offerings.

20. Lifelong Gibson Lover

Lifelong Gibson Lover Senior Member

A guy I jammed with years ago had a Hagstrom. At the time I was playing a strat (Les Paul's seemed to have vanished off the planet at the time) and compared to his guitar it sounded weedy and thin. He had coil taps on this thing and even then it still had balls bigger than King Kong. That was the reason I finally bit the bullet and bought a Les Paul. I part ex'd the strat and payed the rest on credit as I wasn't earning much at the time but it was worth it. I didn't like the feel of the Hagstrom and I've never played one since back then but it was a monster of a guitar.