Any love for the Hagstrom guitars ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by switchback, Jun 7, 2012.

1. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

I think they would as well. If you're really not digging the sound then throw in something else and see how it feels. To me Hagstrom feels more like Gretsch then Gibson (if I had to compare it to anything). Maybe you just need to play around with your amp some more and hone in on a sound you like. If you play a lot of metal though then I dont think its gonna work... the Custom 58/60s are more geared towards heavy crunch then heavy distortion. I can get some awesome ACDC tones out of my Swede though.

2. mouatt29

mouatt29 Senior Member

I've given it a bit of TLC and it's growing on me. set it up, stuck some D'addarios on there, give it a clean and had a little play with it, and I must say I was quite impressed.
    It does Stooges stuff perfectly!

3. Armitage

Armitage Senior Member

I had a bandmate back in High School who used to brag his Hagstrom Super Swede was better then a real Les Paul, but he'd never let any of us touch his baby...

When it was stolen, he replaced it with a Les Paul... :lol:

1 person likes this.
  4. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

lol Well each to their own I think... in terms of build quality I would happily put my Swede up against a Les Paul Standard. In a heart beat... the sound though is completely different.

5. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

I always advise, before changing p/ups, change pots & caps; much smaller investment that really make the p/ups come alive.

As to Hagströms, the rythm player in my HS bands (one of those guys who buys & sells guitars on an almost weekly basis) had, at various times, a Hagström III, a Swede, & a Super Swede. They were 3 of the nicest-playing guitars I've known, so I was excited when I saw my local shop had the new ones. On a quick check (a Swede & a Super Swede) they're lovely, the build quality is in the upper end of Chinese axes (which makes them at least as good as most current Fenders or Gibsons), and the necks feel great; haven't plugged one in or spent any real time with them, but it's got me jonesing for a Viking 12.

6. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

I agree with everything there except for the notion that they are on the same level as a higher end US made guitar. Hagstroms are excellent, especially when you look at the price.

I'd take a Hagstrom over an Epi any day.

7. Kungphugrip

Kungphugrip Senior Member

i think the current hags are a bit over priced considering where they are made and
    the materials used to make them but they look amazing,seem to be well constructed and from the demos i have seen they have a very cool unique tone.
    i intend to find out just how good they are first hand one of these days.

8. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Well, I beg to differ...at least in part.

I just bought a "Chinese" made Gretsch, which is actually made in Korea. And many years ago, I owned a mid '60's US made Gretsch Chet. IMO, the NEW Gretsch is equal to...and in some ways SUPERIOR to...the "classic" that I used to own. Mine is the in the Electromatic line, their "lower end" hollowbodies - if the low end is $1200 list. It if a very well made beautiful playing instrument and rings like a bell...one of those that even sounds great unplugged.

I have not played a Hagstrom since the late '60's, but I see nothing but love for them on this and other forums from actual owners...the Viking seems to be a real gem, and I have no doubt their others are very good guitars. I own US made, Korean made and Japanese and Chinese made guitars and basses, and I find they are not all that far apart in quality. The only thing I may change on that new Gretsch is the bridge, and that is just speculation right now...and I have changed out bridges on some of my US "real" Gibsons, too..to Gotohs. :naughty:

The imports have vastly improved over the last years...the US makers should take note...and give it some serious thought.

mark

9. mouatt29

mouatt29 Senior Member

Bit of an update on my Deuce.
    I've put in a good few days' playing time with it and I must say I LOVE the neck. Probably the most comfortable I've ever played.

The electronics are playing up a bit though, and there are a good few dead frets too, which really is a shame. These are great, great guitars, I just think mine's a bit of a dud.

In the process of arranging to return it, but I think I'd be more than happy to buy another Hagstrom with the refund. Might even ask for a direct swap.

If you don't mind a few minor issues then these are great guitars.

10. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

Why do you disagree though?

11. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

Because they arent built as well as a high end American or European maker. The pickups are muddy, the electronics are so so..they are really good guitars but 'good' is where it stops. For an affordable Asian made instrument they are excellent but Hagstrom has no place in the upper tier of makers.

12. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

All those things are subjective. I dont think the electronics are bad at all otherwise i would have replaced them... the pickups certainly arent muddy. And I dont see how a guitar made in Europe or America makes it better than one made in China or Korea? They are supervised by their parent; Hagstrom still undergoes all of the usual QC processes any other guitar maker expect.

13. kboman

kboman Senior Member

While I agree that the electronics are rubbish and the pickups pretty bland, I would not confuse this with the build quality of the actual instrument. The guitars themselves are on the whole very well built. Too bad it's so apparent where they cut corners to save some money!

14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

For a start the chinese people that work in these factories are mostly unskilled workers where as in usa/Europe/australia you need to go through schools/courses on lutherie.
    To the people in these factories they just treat is as "work" And it doesnt get the care as is taken in japan or usa.

15. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

Resonance of the timber is not subjective, neither is pickup quality or clarity or the tones they produce. The grade of the components, the hardness of the frets, the quality of the hardware......I could go on but you need to understand that these are not subjective criteria. The stock pickups on my viking were horrid....the Seth Lovers that replaced them were an absolute upgrade. The set of Dimarzio 36ths I put into a friends Super Swede made the guitar open up in ways that shocked him. The stock pickups are serviceable and work but didn't have a lot of depth or clarity.

Like I said, great guitars for the money but they are not top tier instruments nor should they be mentioned with instruments on the top shelf. Where they should be mentioned is in the context of 'damn that is a great guitar for the price."

Are you a dealer or something? I find it bizarre that you are so emotionally invested in trying to get a mid price guitar into the realm of high end instruments. You like your Hagstrom instruments, so do I, but I see no reason to run around blowing smoke.

16. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

Agreed, the body construction is really good, which is why they are such great instruments for upgrading. And they look super cool.

17. Serial

Serial Senior Member

It is laughable to compare a Hagstrom import to being 'the equal of a high end Gibson, Fender or PRS'. Come on. You obviously have little to no experience with high-end guitars if you think that.

18. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

lol I'm not a dealer, I just know what I like. As I've said countless times, i'd happily stack a Hagstrom Swede against an LP Standard any day of the week... to me the pickups are exceptional, the build quality is exceptional. By no means are they perfect; but neither is Gibson. Or Fender. And if you think they are then clearly you guys dont know too much about high-end instruments either lol Go for a stroll over to the Gibson corner and see what people have to say about QC these days...

Also I totally get where you guys are coming from though: "there is no way an instrument from China could ever compare to the magical workmanship coming out of the US". But to that I say B.S. I dont know what sort of propaganda you've been sold or the type of garbage you want to believe but QUALITY doesnt end at the US border my friends. It comes from all around the world. It's taken me a long time to figure that out but it's true.

19. kboman

kboman Senior Member

There is a bit of "perspective snobbery" too. Gibson is an import here.

20. djrussell

djrussell Senior Member

What garbage. So its good enough for the likes of Millencolin, Foo Fighters, Grinspoon, Leon King and Zappa but when I talk them up and say I love the sound from them then I'm blowing smoke?

Resonance of the timber? Give me a break... they use the same grade of wood Gibson and Fender use... in fact they do it with less joins and pieces. The hardness of the frets? I think you're struggling to make a point there friend. All of their pickups are made in-house... they are made to sound a specific way. If you dont like that then that's totally cool but dont assume everyone likes the same pickups you do. I happen to like them enough to actually put them in my own builds. I just really dig the sound, and so do other people (including the artists i named above).

What your point comes down to is... Hagstrom are crap because if you're gonna invest in one you'll need to buy $15 worth of pots. And they're not high end instruments because... they are made in China.