Any love for DADGAD tuning?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Clyngedal, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

I was just wodering if there's any love out ther for DADGAD- or Celtic tuning, as some call it?

I was fiddling around with my acoustic the other day. I started jamming on this little "riff" I made in D, played mainly on the open D string. Then I dropped the low E to D, for a nice low end, and I also started strumming the open A.

So the B- and high E-strings were just sitting there, not being played, so I dropped them as well, to A and D.

Then I just sat there... For at least 10 minutes straight, beating the shit out of this huge drowning chord... Guitar tuned to DADGAD, all strings open except 7th fret G-string. I guess that makes it a D5 chord or something? Only A- and D-notes, in different octaves!

Then I Googled "DADGAD" and found out I wasn't this century's guitar innovator after all...

But I'd like to know if some of you have any experience with this badass tuning? Soundclips/videos appreciated!

2. First VR4

First VR4 Junior Member

I am very new to playing the guitar but I do know that Jimmy Page played some songs in this tuning Kashmir probably the most notable! That was all the guitar knowlege I have, nothing much else for me to offer!

3. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

This guy plays almost exclusively in DADGAD:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzU98dg8laY[/ame]

Check him out - he's one of the absolute kings of that tuning.

4. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

I love using it, the droning chords you can get are just way too cool!

LIBERTYMACHINE likes this.
  5. bgfthntr

bgfthntr Senior Member

Below is a link of me playing my old Airline Guitar tuned to DADGAD w/slide. Love that tuning!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBZtUfmya0[/ame]

[​IMG]

6. JonR

JonR Senior Member

I've seen it alleged (reliably) that British guitarist Davey Graham invented it (late 1950s or early 60s), after travelling to Morrocco and trying to find a guitar tuning that enabled him to emulate the sound of the Arabic oud (a lute-type instrument that isn't, in fact, tuned to DADGAD).
    Graham influenced all UK guitarists that came after him, in particular Bert Jansch ("the Hendrix of the acoustic guitar" according to Neil Young). Scots guitarist Dick Gaughan is also a big fan of DADGAD. Some guitarists (like Gaughan and Pierre Bensusan) fall in love with this tuning and rarely use anything else.

Here's Davey Graham in DADGAD, turning a Celtic folk song into a North African jam:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvpTVn_Ltzc]Davy Graham - She moves through the Fair (1962) - YouTube[/ame]
    He has capo on fret 1, btw.

And here's Dick Gaughan in DADGAD:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ7oYCx6tBw]Dick Gaughan - Now Westlin Winds - YouTube[/ame]
    (I love this song, lyrics by Robert Burns - I have tab if anyone wants it...)

I think Jimmy Page used DADGAD for Black Mountainside, but the Bert Jansch arrangement of Blackwaterside he "borrowed" it from was in drop D. Page would have known Davey Graham's music well too, of course.

smorgdonkey likes this.
  7. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

That's way cool! Now I'm tempted to upload something...

8. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

Exactly! I just kept walking that D5 chord, all open strings except 7th fret G-string, for ages! Then I started moving the 7th fret G around, and it just sounded so awesome!

I totally agree with the droning chords, they sound so big, full, and almost scary in a way :shock:

9. Clyngedal

Clyngedal Senior Member

I loved Westlin Winds! And I'd very much like the tab :) I'll PM you my email adress.

10. Freefall70

Freefall70 Junior Member

I would also LOVE the tab. I've been looking everywhere for it and can't find it. Could I also PM you my email adress?

11. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Here is a little ditty from a lesser known guitarist in DADGAD.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzdgU_kpGo&ob=av3n]Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (Live Video) - YouTube[/ame]

bscenefilms and rlammjr like this.
  12. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

13. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Yes as well

b3john likes this.
  14. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

Yep, DADGAD on acoustic is my absolute favorite. One of my small dreams right now is to own a Lowden. If you have played them before, they sound heavenly with this tuning. So natural and clean/crisp sounding. Pierre Bensusan is using one on the video above.

15. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

That is brilliant. I have never heard it before and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

16. Jbreeze

Jbreeze Junior Member

Id love to see that Dick Gaughan tab please!
    To larry_the_lout(at)hotmail(dot)com

17. Hotspur

Hotspur Senior Member

This is a great example of the power of DADGAD:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XkWbKBs80]Davey Graham - Medley: She Moved Thru' the Bizarre/Blue Raga - YouTube[/ame]

It's become a standard for a lot of Brittish folk, and certainly lends itself to celtic-style phrasing. But Graham actually did it to better be able to simulate the sound of an Oud.

That track really shows how it can go both ways.

18. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

Only for Kashmir.

The only other alternate tuning I ever use is Open-G for a set of the Stones.

19. Jbreeze

Jbreeze Junior Member

Could anyone forward me this please,I cant seem to send pm's!

20. LIBERTYMACHINE

LIBERTYMACHINE Banned

been using DADGAD for years on my acoustic. Love it. :thumb: