any Ibanez S series users here?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Elkoki, Aug 12, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHA....I've done that before too.....we're in the same boat, brother!

2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

I have this one, S970CW and sound was so-so on arrival. It's now sporting my first ever aftermarket pickups DiMarzio Fred/the Breed and a Chopper in the middle. Sounds much better than it did but not great; I plan to put something of my own design in it when I get time.

I can't believe how nice it feels though! I usually hate skinny necks and trem guitars.

[​IMG]

3. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

I believe that if a guitar doesn't sound all that good to the player even with average pickups, then it might not be worth replacing them. Pickups only change so much of the sound, the guitar it self has to sound good too. Each guitar has it's own distinct sound, my Schecter 7 string is bright as hell no matter what pickup is in it, and my Epiphone Black Beauty is warm sounding almost no matter what was in it, adding brighter pickups did make it brighter, but it still had the same overall LP sound. I've had extremely cheap pickups in my Les Paul and it still overall sounded pretty good to me. Here's a clip of me using a $15 pickup set from Amazon.

Not trying to say S series guitars are bad, but they just don't give me the sound that I want for the style of music I play, even with upgraded pickups. It's obvious that the person who owned the Sv470 before me tried to fatten up the sound as well, it had a neck pickup in the bridge. They can only do so much to the sound though

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

sounds nice! yeah, my S doesn't sound like that - you are more in PRS range there. my custom 22's do that type of tone effortlessly.

Elkoki likes this.