any Ibanez S series users here?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Elkoki, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

Here’s a S2009SC I ended up selling to my brother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

That's a super beautiful guitar

3. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

No it isn't unusable, it's just surprising how people have said they have a "fat tone". Makes me wonder if i'm hearing the same things they are. I think lots of people see that it's made of mahogany and instantly just say, "hey it's made from mahogany that means it's a warm and thick toned guitar"...

I would say they sound balanced, but sometimes almost to the point of being too thin. I think the thin body has a lot to do with it and maybe also that most of the S guitars i've used were set up with 9's. and I normally use 10's.

Right now i'm using a Bugera Trirec with a Carvin 2x12, so i'd be interested in how it would sound through that set up. I know the amp has a lot to do with it, but a guitar is important too.

I listen to everything from Joe Satriani, classic rock, to nu metal, thrash, melodic death metal, pop rock etc..

My main style would probably shred, and thrash metal. and I generally like a thick lead tone and a percussive palm muted tone. There's a band called Between the Buried and me, and the guitarist was a fan of S series guitars as well, so they made him a signature guitar with the same body shape but thicker in comparison to standard S, he says it was to thicken the tone and get more chunk. So I can't be the only one who's thought S series guitars sound thin. His model is called the pwm100 https://www.session.de/out/pictures/master/product/6/Ibanez_PWM100_CB_5.jpg

make a video, that would be awesome...

Who likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool, cool....

I was always curious about those Tri-Recs.....are they as cool as they seem? I have NEVER seen one in person.

I'll do a video tonight with the S plugged straight into my Rivera S120. Hopefully, I remember correctly, lol. I have really played that guitar in AGES!!!!! I'll post it later tonight or tomorrow.

Who likes this.
  5. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

Bugera Trirecs look bad ass in person lol. they sound awesome too, they're pretty versatile, tons of features and sound options. Most people are afraid to try them because of Bugera's older models failing. No issues with mine so far.

Would love to hear that guitar of yours . and see if it's just as good as you remember

Who and mmd like this.
  6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Here it is - old strings and all, lol.

Who likes this.
  7. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Thanks for making the video! Nice job.

I'm going to make up an internet rumor.....we can all pretend it's true, and make bank when people believe it in thirty years (like pretending '59 Les Pauls are better than new ones).....

Here it is......

The secret to a good S series is the Backstop and mini-switches. If you don't have both, your guitar isn't as good.

Want proof? Go try to by a Backstop. It's like the PAF of Ibanezes.

OK, go spread that rumor. ;)

(Because '87s and early 88s are the only ones that had both).

mmd likes this.
  8. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

Awesome. Doesn't sound too bad. Not really the tone I go for, but cool video either way. It does sound pretty thick and chunky.

mmd likes this.
  9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks. Honestly, I had a really hard time playing it. The neck felt non-existent, and the strings were close to dead which is why I didn't do any lead work. I warmed up on it for about an half an hour, did the video, and had massive cramps in my hand!!!

It was a bit brighter than I remember it being. On the clean channel it was really hard to find a tone that didn't have ice-pick high end. Then, and again, I have rarely used that 2x10 cab.....

Bah, lots of excuses, lol.....

In the end, I put the guitar down and remembered why I stopped playing it. Not because it was to thin SOUNDING, but because it was too thin PERIOD!

I am definitely a million times happier playing my PRS guitars with the Wide/Fat or Pattern necks. I guess all those years with the Jackson PC-1 rubbed off....gotta have a fat, wide neck to make me happy.

I was amazed at how well designed and thought out the S is, though. Everything was incredibly ergonomic. The knobs are in the perfect spot. The switches are tall enough to not miss, but short enough to not be in the way. The ANGLE of the mini-switches is perfect.

The tuning stability of the Edge is unmatched. That guitar hasn't been played or tuned in more than 3 years. Took it out of the case and all that had happened was the low E went slightly flat. All other strings were in tune.

I am thinking if I were going to record something fast - a lot of fretboard movement - that would the guitar I would use. I will NEVER play it live ever again - I'd have carpel tunnel syndrome by thhe time the set was over, lol.....

Anyway, tone is different for everyone. In the end I was pleased that the meaty tone I remembered was pretty much there. I am wondering if it would be EXACTLY as I remember if I had one of my EVM12L cabs.....that was always such a HUGE part of my tone with those Rivera amps. (For the record I now gig with a Helix Rack system)

Ah, well......

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I think modern pickups would probably help the thinness of the guitar. Something with a lot of mids, like the Custom Custom, or the Alnico II Pro.

11. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

I have an S540 made sometime around 92-95. I just can't get along with it. Chords sound ok but when it comes to soloing or any kind of clean arpeggio work the strings just seem dead like MMD said. I've adjusted the bridge height, had a "professional" set up done to it, new strings and nothing changes. It's just a struggle to do any kind of extended soloing on, compared to my 83 RS1000 which plays like buttah.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  12. Who

Jep1210, that helps to reinforce my rumour that only the earliest models were the best ones!

;)

Elkoki likes this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Except in my case the strings are actually 3-4 years old, lol!!! They are so old that when I was bending some during warm up I was afraid they'd snap because of being dried out. For what I was trying to accomplish there was no sense in taking the time to restring/retune. The Ibanez went right back in the case when I finished. It was fun to jam on it a minute, but I'm not too interested in actually using it anymore....

14. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

I guess you can sell it to me then.

Who likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, nah. For whatever reason I will never sell it. It was a HUGE deal for me to get it, and I had to work really hard to pay my dad back. It kinda represents my first "pay off" for working hard. In all my years of moving stuff in and out while getting gear, that 540S has NEVER been on the block!!

Sorry, man - lol

Elkoki and Who like this.
  16. Who

I realized when I was thinking of this thread earlier..... mmd and I both have the same guitar, and we both defend some of its virtues, yet neither of us play ours.

I need to rethink my praise. I guess I like having the guitar more than I actually like the guitar.

While it's one of the last of my guitars I would sell....if I lost all my guitars and started buying replacements..... I don't know that I'd seek one out.

Elkoki likes this.
  17. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - I am totally with you on the last part...if I lost ALL my guitars and started rebuying from SCRATCH I would not seek another one.

Elkoki likes this.
  18. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Elkoki, I'll sell you mine if ya want :)

Elkoki, mmd and Who like this.
  19. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

After your comment earlier of it sounding dead with lead work. maybe I should pass lol .

I think I'd be like the guys above. I'd like owning one more than I'd actually like playing it. there's just something cool about owning one . They're beautiful , and super thin guitars. But to me it's like owning a micro battery amplifier ... it's a nice idea, it sounds decent but in the end of the day, I wouldn't use it that much and I'd rather use a real amp lol .

20. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Dang, I really need to work on my sales technique. :facepalm: :rofl:

mmd likes this.