Any AlNiCo 8 Users out there?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by kevinT, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

Has anyone tried an A8 magnet or is currently using a pickup with this grade of magnet in their Les Paul?

If so, what is your opinion of the tone?

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

KEvin,

Alnico 8's are intended for high output pups. If one is using them in a standard wind, I would imagine they sound like a$$.

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

All I know it's geared towards heavy sounding p/us but still has more "soul" than ceramic.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

:rofl: A funny way to put it, but also pretty much correct IMO.

I find (With 42 AWG) once you get to about 9.5k they can sound pretty darned good in high gain applications. Anything much colder has a funky mid thing going on. I wound an 8.3k with an A8 as an experiment and didn't like the results.

5. Wymore Guitars

Wymore Guitars Member

I sell a lot of A8 magnets and the users generally seem to fall into two catagories. They are A5 users that want more output, a flatter EQ and a tighter low end or ceramic users that want to keep an aggressive tone but want to tame the ice pick harshness of ceramic. I agree they are more suited to winds of higher DC resistance.

BTW, Seymour Duncan just added a new pickup to their product line using an A8 magnet at 17.6K. SD didn't reveal the wire size but stated it was a unique wire and wind. They just started shipping them out a couple weeks ago. I had a couple but they sold right away so there seems to be interest out there for it.

Humbucker - Alternative 8 SH-15 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

6. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

I thought someone posted once that those old Ibanez super70s had A8 in them aren't those in the under 8k range? Maybe it was the super 80's?

Ed hunter likes this.
  7. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

Super 70s. I never heard/played one. But supposedly they had A8s, in the PAF resistance range and sounded great...In my experience those aren't ideal specs for an A8...but it's all subjective.

8. Robster

Robster Premium Member

Magnet type and DCV resistance really have nothing to do with each other - the DCV resistance comes from the type of wire and number of turns on the coil.

Anyway, to my ears the AVIII are just too harsh - mostly midrangey with very little definition in the highs and low bottoms. Great for metal, crap for anything else, IMO.

R

9. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

A8s will surprise you. They sound great in high output pickups and lower ones believe it or not. A8s are like A4s and that they are very different animals in terms of their sonic characteristics. This is where a good designer comes in....designing/formulating a recipe to get the best tone out of using all the components of the pickup...wire, magnet, different alloy polepieces and slugs, different alloy keepers, etc....

I have an A8 in one of my high output models that kicks ass and i am prototyping a pickup with a lower wind in the 8K to 10K Ohm DCR using A8 and i am having some impressive results.

A8s have the best characteristics of both alnico and ceramic. Its very focused and balanced and you can tweak the wind to pull out the freqencies that you want to highlight.

10. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

8-10k is a pretty wide variance. I got very different results within that range with an A8. Some I liked very much, others I didn't.

And you make an excellent point about the impact of a pickups components.

11. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

You can be sure that it isn't 42 AWG wire....wouldn't all fit on the bobbin:eek2:

A8 kicks ass. I will be putting my new "Superstar" model in the MLP classified with introductory pricing hopefully this weekend. It has an A8 and wound to 13.7K Ohm.

12. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

I agree. I am still deciding on the DCR....but i'm leaning more towards the lower wind in the...8.15K Ohm range but the 10K Ohm DCR sounds great as well.

Wire insulation and gauge makes a big difference here and has to be taken into account. ...very different flavors

13. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

I've got a 20 year old set of A8 Tele pups, made by Lynn Collins. He's been winding pups with A8 rods since '71. I plan on doing another Warmoth Tele next year, and then these "Guitar Shack" pups are going back on duty. :thumb:

14. richedie

richedie Senior Member

The A8 is getting lots of actionon the Duncan forum. I would like to hear it...

I have to say a lot has to do with wind and other variables because I know my Dragon pickups in my PRS are not harsh or ice picky. In fact, they are smoother and warmer than a lot of my PAF style pickups. Then again the wind is like 19k on the bridge but I use it for ALL styles! Roll back the volume and there you go!

15. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

I used A8 in a Custom and in a Jeff Beck.

In the JB it shows some "hollow" sound that is quite interesting, although certainly only for heavier and darker music styles. It is missing the harmonics and sparkle from Alnicos and it's also missing the compression from Ceramic. Overall I rate it as interesting but one-trick-poniesh.

In the custom coils you can hear that A8 growl only when you hit the strings very hard, I don't think this is useful.

The Alternative 8 from SD has a coil even heavier than the JB and a different wind. Since you obviously need a lot of wind to drive this magnet I guess this comes out better than the JB-A8 but I don't think it will be that much different either.

16. carydad

carydad Senior Member

I'd like to try one in the sc250 bridge pup. It measures in at around 14K but sounds...ceramic. I threw an A5 in there but it doesnt have the balls I want it to. An A8 might be just what I am looking for.

17. skyshark5858

skyshark5858 Junior Member

Hey .. Ive been thinking very hard about a mag swap and making my JB a JB8 in my les paul studio.... I play alot of the mid heavy tool stuff. Adam Jones is known for having a JB, but like Adam will not just stop there... appereantly his had it modded some how...(he wont say ofcourse) .. who here thinks a alnico 8 mag is what he is talking about?

From what I read it still keeps all the mid attack but adds punch and pick attack, tighter lows, with all the harmonics but adds overall growl and output.. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

Can some one who has mag swapped a JB in a les paul for a A8 please chime in and tell me the before and after products?

(im also going to be doing a full retube on my amp so Id like to start with the guitar signal and work my way into the amp.)

18. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

i had 1 of the ibanezes the green star it rocked for the time but back then tone wasnt eveything lol

19. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

I am thinking about getting a Duncan Alternative 8. I hear great things about alnico 8 mags

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I like AIV; if AVIII is a bit like it, I might like some AVIII pickups....