Any Aging/Relicing Experts Here?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by pinefd, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング...

Make a solution by soaking steel wool and a tea bag in vinegar. Practice on scrap wood first. When you've figured out how that works, apply to the wood in the dings and scratches on the guitar.

Jumping@shadows, The_Nuge and pinefd like this.
  2. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

A big thanks to all who have contributed to this thread with their ideas and suggested techniques. There certainly were some great ones!

I actually ended up going with the very first recommendation in this thread, which was the Old English. I bought it a couple of weeks ago, and have been practicing with it ever since on furniture all over the house! LOL Very easy to apply, and control the color (I bought both the kind for light wood, and for dark wood). It did such a great job on my furniture that I graduated to using it on my guitar...and it came out great there as well. I'll try to take some decent pics over the next couple of days and post them to see the end result. I'll also look to see if I have any "before" pics that I can post as well.

Meanwhile, thanks again for all the help! Much appreciated!

Frank

NotScott, rockinlespaul and kfowler8 like this.
  3. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sorry for the long delay in posting the results of the Old English treatment on my guitar, but at long last, here are a couple of pics of the "victim", a '17 Murphy painted and aged R9 (sorry, no decent "before" pics). Note, the dings are a lot more visible in the second pic, and most of what you're seeing is light reflecting off the dings, rather than bare maple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite frankly, I probably would have preferred to have purchased this specific guitar without the aging, but obviously, it wasn't an option.

Frank

4. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Beautiful top

pinefd likes this.
  5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Damn Frank. You always have the killer tops. That one is SICK!

pinefd likes this.