Any 18w fans here?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Family Man, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

GAS is a cruel mistress aint it??:eek:

Trinity makes a fantastic product, the VRM definitely makes this amp much more usable. Do you still have a Phaez SIBLY? Very similar sound from what I remember of my Phaez but I personally think Trinity uses nicer components.

2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes,she is!!

Yup,still got the SIBLY(green meanie). At first all I caught was the amp itself,then the VRM and brother,my excitement level kicked up 20 notches. I love the voltage reduction in the Phaez,leads to all sorts of cool and unusual tonal experiments.
    But,to have that capability in a18 watter?? Damn, I am crunching numbers like a madman:naughty:

3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

:lol:

Family Man and bulletproof like this.
  4. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Congrats!

Since you asked about 18 watters, I have a Budda SD18. Awesome amp, but I mainly play my HD500X to PA. If I played out, the SD18 would likely be my choice over the modeler, but its loud for just messing around in the basement.

5. Family Man

Family Man Senior Member

Just in case you fellas need a little more fuel on your GAS fires...

Just fired up the Trinity over a long lunch with my dad. We turned the VRM up a little higher than I had it before and this thing really started to roar! My dad (big Clapton fan), plugged my '63 335 VOS straight into the dimed bluesbreaker channel and said it was probably the best live guitar sound he's ever heard. He was impressed and we had tons of fun.

6. Family Man

Family Man Senior Member

IMG_2124.JPG Here's a photo with the 335. Once I have the room rearranged, I'll take another photo. Can't stand the mess I have in the room at the moment!

7. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

I have the 1973x and it does have some nice bottom. But she is a little loud if overdriving it w/o a pedal.

This is one is mine.

[​IMG]

This one belongs to my friend. I bought mine and he immediately bought his before they went out of production. That's my '92 pre historic RI leaning against it.

[​IMG]

8. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Sorry won’t rotate on my IPad.

No more 18 watt amps currently, but I got a pretty nice KT66 powered 30 watt handwired amp.

FFC5AED3-9FB2-4D66-905B-C6E65A7046A8.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  9. bulletproof

Man.....now y’all are just being mean:laugh2:

After my two latest pedal buys and meds for the dogs,don’t matter how many numbers I crunched, I gotta wait.....dammit,:laugh2:

I’m diggin that you and Dad had a good time with it and his statement says a lot!

Family Man and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

I second that emotion.

11. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure

It sounds even better with an extension cab....

12. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Junior Member

THIS is something I am not too sure about. Though it seems to be counterintuitive to us guitar pickers, more is not always MORE in terms of tone.
    I do love my 18w and strongly recommend this type of amp to simply ANYBODY who is into rootsy rockin´ music.
    My 18w is a TMB which got modified a bit recently. The tone control got twisted more into 5E3 territory, while the TMB was made to be closer to JTM values. For taming the beast it has gotten a PPI Master Volume, which works quite fine. Surprisingly fine.
    It´s possible to get more into british or more into american sounds, depending, not at least, a bit on the speakers you choose.
    Most of the 18w beasts are more sculpted for a classic plexiesque/JMP tone.

Though I own and use several 212 cabs (never really bonded with 4x12), I almost every time prefer the mid-content of a single-speaker-set-up.
    I don´t know really why, but there is such a magic going on in especially Pulsonic-Cone Celestions, which to my ears seem to disappear a bit, when using multi-speaker cabs, even when using another 112 extension cab. This is true to me irrespective whether both of the speakers als Pulsonics or not.
    I am convinced, this being true not only for these. In my opinion I have a tendency to hear a comparable effect even when using more american voiced speakers (like Jensens or WGS G12C, G12A...).

My findings are, that in most cases a single speaker sounds sweeter than multi-speaker set-ups. This is what I get, when I listen with my ears instead of my eyes. Nevertheless, listening with my eyes consistently gives me killer sound, when playing my 212s... ;)

just my 2ct (for being european: 0,02€)
    s´Zwieberl

bulletproof likes this.
  13. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

I love my 1974X.........put a Blue in it for added flavour..........sounds majestic:cheers:

zwiefldraader and bulletproof like this.
  14. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Junior Member

Yes, a Blue in a 1974x or TMB is the sound of beauty, especially with Humbuckers. For Singlecoils you got to push it a bit more into compression.
    For playing lots of Singlecoil guitars I voted for my '73 (?) G12M25 55Hz. Really gorgeos match as well, thogh a bit inarticulate with Humbuckers if it is not pushed enough.

bulletproof likes this.
  15. Wrench66

Wrench66 Senior Member

Here are a few shots of my 18 watt clone.
    Here are a few of the chassis when it was under construction
    It is a Tube Depot kit. Instructions were very easy to follow and the amp sounds amazing! It is the stock kit with no mods. I love the way it sounds and wouldn't change a thing.

The kit came with a MIC greenback, but I've since put in a British made greenback. The MIC greenback is a little more efficient and thus a tad bit louder. The British greenback sounds a little darker in my opinion.

It is pretty loud in a small space, so I usually run it through a Weber minimass attenuator.

16. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

I got a 1973X in a trade and its simply marvellous. I actually find the limited tone controls quite liberating in that you quit fiddling and just play. Whether one of my LP's or 335 or the odd Fender each guitar & amp just sound amazing on their own. There's so much character and dynamics in the simplicity I've yet to plug in any pedals, though I'm one who always has a pedalboard running analog delay, modulation and fuzz. The amp and 'broken in' 20 watt speakers just sound fab.

bulletproof likes this.
  17. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure

"THIS is something I am not too sure about."

Hmm.... I guess MY ears are wrong, lol

18. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

CeriaTone 18 watt build on the JCM 800 chassis with a modified power section, a few personal mods and custom made face plate.
    IMG_20180320_082025_1431.jpg
    Good quality components.
    20180320_081654.jpg

20180320_081728.jpg

20180320_081638.jpg
    No cabinet. It should have but they are expensive.
    Priced right and very well made-
    IMG_20180320_083037_6356.jpg

Family Man and bulletproof like this.
  19. bulletproof

Frogfur likes this.
  20. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Yes !! I love all watts !
    Congrats, very nice ! \m/

bulletproof likes this.