Another Round Table Discussion

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by pnuggett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

First off. Take care with that snow storm coming your way. Looks bad.

"Even unqualified opinions are valid"
    Are you serious my friend. Answer me the question I posted that everyone ignored..

Here it is again.
    Would you seek out an opinion from someone that had no experience in what you needed info on?

Or to stay in the same example you posted. If someone never drank Pepsi, do you think their opinion that it sucks is valid and useful?

Mis-information is never good or welcomed in any circles. Why is this place different? Why would I need sugar? Because I hurt feelings telling the truth? If you have something to say with no background in the subject... Say so. This way others reading that opinion won't be mislead because the person happens to write well.

Now tell me J... Do you think there is something wrong with that logic?

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Nope. Since I know I reported you, I will tell you why. Other than the Thread OP, you didn't post anything of benefit in the thread after that. In fact, the only post you posted in this thread that was NOT egging someone on, or stirring the pot of dissention, was your 2nd inflammatory post, that you never went back and extrapolated, explained, etc. I outline it very concisely above.

Stirring the pot, posting posts that a troll would also post, is not speaking your mind.

Post an opinion, discuss it, debate it, all is fine.

Post posts that do none of that, but are meant to just stir the pot, and it will be reported.

3. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Interesting you should list the posts, as I went and reviewed the early entires as well. It looked to me like someone posted their opinion without stating every fact that went into forming it which is a fairly common thing in internet chat rooms.

That poster was immediately taken to task and followed up with a clarifying post which resulted in what seemed to me as a fairly neutral observer to be a dog pile on someone with a dissenting opinion.

Nothing in this thread struck me as trolling. Much of this thread seems hyper-sensitve over reaction.

I grant the internet and forums in particular are imprecise vehicles for communication but that was how we got where we are as I see it.

4. cybermgk

"Even unqualified opinions are valid" is slightly an oxymoron. Yes they are valid opinions, as opinions can be based on very little or no empirical data. But, they are not necessarily valid in a factual matter.

Also, when did disagreement become = to vitriol?

Don't mean to put words in Franks mouth, but your analogy with the colas isn't accurate.

Frank would consider unqualified would be your friend liking Pepsi OVER Coke, having never ever tried Coke, OR even worse having never ever trying either.

See the difference?

Additionally, state an opinion. But, often said opinions are presented not as "I believe", or "I prefer", but as "This is the case", i.e. as fact.

Finally, although all are entitled to state their opinion, perfectly okay and expected, others ARE allowed to disagree with that opinion. Additionally, if said opinion is posted such that it is being presented not as opinion or preference, but as a universal fact, then what is wrong with attempting to refute it as a fact?

5. frankv

This topic has nothing what so ever to do with modelers. It has everything to do with mis-information being spewed around like candy at a preschool. It doesn't fly.. Will never fly and will never be condoned. When someone spews opinions with no experience all i will do from now on is post an IGNORE THIS POST reply due to incorrect assumptions.

6. frankv

I find it incredibly hard to read you guys actually saying that it's OK for someone to have an opinion about something that he knows nothing about. What is that?

We are not talking about an abstract concept that someone might have an opinion.. Something like. In my opinion going to Mars is a waste of money. You don't have to work for Nasa to have that opinion. But when talking about things that are not a conceptual concept.. Like what we are talking about. Well you better have experience before you stick you finger in the car door.

Gibson Les Pauls Suck.. I never played or heard one but I can tell that they suck.

7. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Not surprised at all. I gave an opinion supported by the video. I don't need to argue with or convince you or anyone else for that matter. you turned it into a pizzing match as usual.

8. frankv

Somebody... Any body..

Here is the question
    Would you seek out an opinion from someone that had no experience in what you needed info on?

It's OK. I know you can't answer that because it doesn't supprt your side of the argument. Lets drop it. You got the idea I know you did.

Look. I really do like all you guys. WE argue, we fight, we discuss. Never is it personal. Never is it serious. Its Ok to disagree and leave a discussion as the friends we are. We all share a common interest and we are all passionate about it. So with that. I'll offer an olive branch here.

9. cybermgk

Please define dog-piling? To me dog-piling is multiple people saying something akin to "your wrong, period" or personal attacks. Please show where that happened?

I DO see where more than one pointed out similar, opposing opinions. I see that in posts 14, 19 and 24.

How would you paraphrase the following?
    "
    Modelers are extremely good at what they do and definitely have a lot to offer. They reproduce the sound of a mic'd guitar amp. They don't, however, produce the same, for a lack of a better term, organic impact of a real amp.
    Fire away. "

What is being said? To me, it says "Modelers are good for what they do, but they can only do a Mic'ed amp sound, and aren't as good sounding as a tube amp". Notice the use of the inflammatory term "real amp" to describe NOT a modeler. Also note the Fire away comment" which can only be interpreted as "I expect opposition to what I just said".

Mind you it is a post like a hundred others, with the same items as, troll posts.

K, no what was the response to the above. Yes, there were a couple that saw a post that walked like a troll, looked like a troll, smelled like a troll post, and called it such.

But, wasn't there ALSO multiple posts just asking for clarification?

He sort of gave clarification. But it was pointing to a point in the video, nothing more. This was very vague, open to all manner of misinterpretation. That, btw, is also a troll-like post.

But even then, there were multiple posts that simply tried to educate how modelers can ALSO be used to produce other than mic'ed amp tones. Sorry, if some of us tried to educate him on missing information in his experience.

But please, after those posts, ^^^, point out ONE post by pnuggett that was in any way productive, conversational, that added anything to the discussion. other than #78.

Now, count how many posts by same, after that point attacked this sub forum or it's participants.

In fact, I will say, judging JUST by the posts, it looks an awful lot like

1. I'll post a neutral opening
    2. Then I'll post something I KNOW will be taken as inflammatory and use words that are same.
    3. I'll then be elusive in clarifying the above, causing more misinterpretation.
    4, I'll then only post posts about my agenda for all of this, to show how awful this sub forum is.

I'll say that is what it LOOKS like.

But, if that person wants to actually post ON what they made this thread's main thesis/direction about (other than how bigoted we all are here), i.e. that Modelers are great at making mic'ed amp tone, but not as good as a conventional amp at amp in the room tones WITH A SUBSTANTIVE post, or post a substantive post in regards to any of the number of posts that talked about how Modelers CAN aalso do amp in the room tones, then that would go a LONG way to NOT making it look like trolling.

But, he also needs to expect counter opinions.

10. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Your inflammatory post just looks like an opinion on which the poster was sure he would be attacked. He thinks profiles do not sound organic. I do. Move along...Nothing to see here.

11. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

I expected to get opposing opinions. I didn't and don't have a problem with that. You have a choice to disagree, agree, and state your opinion . So do I.
    After numerous angry posts from you I didn't go crying to a moderator. You don't own this forum and I won't be intimidated by you to keep from posting any opinions that don't happen to agree with you.

12. cybermgk

No you don't have to, true. Yes, it's your right to say something contrary to what most of us experienced with this tech have actual experience with, then refuse to elaborate or explain why you formed that opinion. BUT, then don't be surprised when people find it troll-like, because that IS what trolls do.

I also beg to differ that the video said that Modelers CAN'T do anything but mic'ed amp tone. As pointed out, they never said that in the video, and as also pointed out, they were only focusing on mic'ed amp aspect for that video. Also pointed out was how the tech CAN be used differently and equally successful.

What you call 'pizzing match' is people trying to educate you (and others) on something that is a fallacy in real use and real life.

Simple question, Have you ever tried a Kemper, Helix, Axe FX, Ax8 through a good SS power amp, with no cab/mic emulation into a guitar cab?

Simple, question #2, How do you explain both the Capt and Chappers in that vid, with the Capt being openly biased against non tube amps, unable to tell which they were playing when set up like question 1 (.e to NOT produce a mic'ed amp tone, but an amp in the room tone?

Or did you just want to bash modelers on their inability to do anything but mic'ed amp tones, period (even if it is demonstrably incorrect)

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I'll try to stay warm, hopefully this is the last of it!

No, I wouldn't seek out someone's opinion that had no experience on what I needed info on. Here is where we differ, though. If someone offered an opinion, and I didn't want to just end the discussion at that point, I'd listen to them and try to see if I could change their mind. "I'll change your mind yet, you old Luddite, have a listen to this"

Modelling is a perfect topic for this, so many blind tests, so much information. "Have a listen to these two Sound Clouds and tell me which one is the modeler" (when they say they can, humor them, "wow you've got a good ear, I couldn't tell the difference, myself").

Telling or insinuating that someone or their opinion doesn't matter is just a recipe for them digging their heels into their argument. Don't give them a chance to plant their feet, sweep them up into your way of thinking with enthusiasm (Frank we know you've got that in spades)!

I don't really read the troll threads and I didn't get a sense that this was one of them. I just saw it escalate and I was like, damn, people are serious.

14. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Bottom line is - every poster can decide himself if he ignores another poster

It is not your job to tell others who should be ignored and who has the 'right answer'

IIRC you are not a moderator of this subforum....

Thanks for understanding !

15. frankv

Out of this entire thread you pull that quote?

16. cybermgk

First please point to ONE post I made that was angry, and why you think it is.

Your missing a very small, but extremely important point. HAD you continued to state opinion on the topic, discussed it, I never would have reported. I waited until 5 pages. I waited for you to post anything that wasn't of the nature 'see intolerance'. I waited for anything that broke the cycle of - Say something I know will get opposite or negative responses (your own words bear that out), ambiguous non clarification, and "see intolerance, intolerance wah wah'. Unfortunately, you never did. YOu still haven't.

Never did I/we see from you anyting in pages 3,4 or 5 to counter points like,"k, but I see it like this". Just more of the above.

There is also the matter that the Mods have instructed both sides to report when someone seems to ONLY be posting to stir the pot in the great tube vs modeler spectrum. And sorry, but I felt that that was all you did. I thought I was fairly clear as to why I felt that.

Also, Joeydego and a few others also made comments/opinions I disagreed with. I didn't report them. Why? It's because they didn't keep posting like you did (again see above and my last 4 or so posts). They discussed their opinions, explained their stance and where it came from. There is a difference. This is how people earn respect for their opinion even from people that disagree with it. I for one HIGHLY respect Joey's opinion and simultaneously completely disagree with it, on this topic.

Not trying to drive you from this forum. On the contrary. But, I for one (and I suspect others) are trying to teach you the right, and the wrong way to discuss a conflicting or contrary opinion.

You can either accept that as it is meant, or be constantly combative and defensive. It is your choice.

17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Yes - and I'll lock this drama if you can't behave !

18. cybermgk

And, I know for a fact, in this thread that was attempted multiple times, in several ways, to only be met with, and to be called "being intolerant of differing opinions"

I never took Frank ever saying that anyone's opinion didn't matter.

He was saying, as I saw it, that there are a lot of opinions out there based on little real experience, and that people should try to seek out opnions that ARE based on more than a feeling (boston 197..)

Additionally, on the particular subject of Modelers, we all too often see those little/no experience based opinions propagated as gospel. Can you deny that? I see nothing wrong with getting clarification on the experience behind someone's belief/opinion. BECAUSE, like you said, if I find it is based on little or nothing, then I will try to convince them otherwise with empirical data and examples. BUT, if it is formed after decent experience,, there is no point trying. ,

19. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Not purposely. When seeking an opinion, I want somebody with experience. When I am offered an opinion on something - anything - I will always give more weight to the opinion that comes from hands on experience.

20. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Lol am I missing something? Did my post with the funny axe FX with tubes picture get removed from this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.