Another Joe B sig... Korina "Amos" Flying V

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by thecasterkid, May 23, 2017.

1. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

What the hell is "Blackwood"? I still don't know what really separates these from the earlier versions (at lower prices). Anyone enlighten me?

2. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Sp8ctre likes this.
  3. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Blackwood is similar to Ebony. Fender have been using it too. Probably going to come up more in the future with the whole rosewood / cites issue. At least its real wood and not Richlite.

4. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

Yeah, I was thinking it would have Gibson BB's for sure. $900 with Epiphone pups and tuners is ridiculous.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  5. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

This guitar is an absolute disappointment

Why would a "reissue" not have rosewood

Cheapo Epiphone pickups and hardware

Apart from a fatter neck and fingerboard material it has a different TRC and jack plate to the previous V.

What a missed oppurtunity, really makes you remember what Epiphone used to do 10 years ago. Compare this to the Brent Hinds V and it makes no sense they are the same price.

Kind of an insult to customers they would call this a reissue or even inspired by.

Skit, fleahead and Sp8ctre like this.
  6. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

For what it costs, I think it should have upgraded pickups at the least, if not upgraded hardware. That being said, it does come with a hardshell case. And while it would have been nice to have certain upgrades, my Epiphone has served me well for about 10 years now, "cheapo" pickups and all.

Definitely not a reissue, but Epiphone doesn't seem to refer to it as one. "Inspired by" would certainly be eligible, but weirdly, they don't seem to use that either.

7. TM1

TM1 Senior Member

What I wonder is if the Korina is solid or multi-piece with a veneer top & back. Blackwood: Some of the original V's I've seen had Ebony fingerboards. Maybe why they're using BB

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  8. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

Let the market dust settle to where the price is meant to be.

9. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

It doesn't have RW because it's a lot harder to sell a guitar with RW internationally at this time. A lot of people order guitars internationally (Canadians from US, UK/EU, etc.) and have no desire to deal with extra fees or lost instruments if they ever potentially re-sell in the same manner. I love an RW board but it is no longer practical and I wouldn't purchase a guitar at this price point with one. Pau Ferro and other alternative woods do the job just the same and despite popular belief have minimal impact on sound. I look forward to getting my hands on some guitars with Blackwood boards.

As for Epiphone pickups, they're great right now. As you say, look at what Epiphone was doing a decade ago. Their hardware has also never been an issue for me and it's improved plenty in the last decade with Locktone stuff and Probuckers. The truss rod cover and jack plate are mimicking the specs on the guitar that this is based off of so I'm not sure what you mean there?

I think the price is perfectly in line with the specs, and I fully expect the quality will be there to back it. It isn't a re-issue, it's an Epi Signature based on a specific old V that Joe owns. There was a recent Ltd. Ed. run of a similarly spec'd V and Explorer, this is basically the same V with a premium due to the case and name associated as well as some minor changes.

Maybe it's just not for you, though frankly it isn't for me either as I don't get along well with Vs, if it weren't for that I'd love one.

HCRoadie likes this.
  10. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

And still veneer. On the newer darker models, the seams seem more apparent (to me). I'll just drop a new TRC on mine and call it Amos...
    22540146_180213635873902_6848683048638210438_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    rich85 and Skit like this.
  11. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

IMO $750 is the right price with case for this one, not a penny more.

12. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

I really agree with this, except for the price. My Tony Iommi Epi SG has Gibson pick ups, cost a good deal less, and is a signature model from a WAAAAAYYYY cooler guitarist. I am glad I picked up a Brent Hinds to satiate my 'V' needs.

LSAR likes this.
  13. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

I'll never understand complaints about price. Every company is free to price their product however they want and you're free to not purchase it. The market will decide the right price eventually. Just put $1k in Bitcoins and in a week you'll have the extra money you need for this guitar.

14. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Epiphone is still making guitars with Rosewood boards and they are selling them. They have to import them to just about everywhere they sell them, so what you said doesn't really make sense as far as the Rosewood boards go.

Not that I'd buy one but it would be interesting to know what kind of wood the body actually is. A lot of people here know about the wood is that Epiphone calls "mahogany". I think the price is crazy for a multi piece V with veneer front and back, but thats just my opinion.

15. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

My point was the TRC and jack plate obviously had to be there. And apart from that its just a different spec medium level Epiphone Korina V for double the price of the previous one.

Its not a premium Epiphone apart from price. As consumers I think we can now expect genuine Gibson or brand name pickups and Ebony or Rosewood at this price point.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  16. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

I was very tempted for this. The quality of the Pelham Blue JB Les Paul was excellent and the Firebird I is outstanding in all ways. I would hope that this model is also as good and not a multi piece body with Korina veneer. However, here in Canada it's retailing for $1199. For $400 more I could get a 2018 Gibson V (with hard case also), which has Gibson BB pickups, Grover Tuners and Aluminum stop tailpiece and bridge.