Another hand-tool LP from scratch!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barnaby, Dec 18, 2011.

1. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

you can't fool me...you stole that look from mickey dolenz. and if it twernt bad enough, you had to do the little inset so we would have a double dose. it's a good thing you can play, or we'd have to edit some of this out.

nuttin like a little intimate time with the love shark, eh?

keep em coming. this is a lot better than tv.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jusamies

Jusamies Senior Member

Late post in the thread, but for an acoustic, my vote goes for a roundback! I love 'em Ovations. A really original idea for a build, too.

1 person likes this.
  3. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

gosh darn your builds are inspiring

1 person likes this.
  4. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I missed this comment back in 2012...what a cool idea!!! :thumb:

Awww...they only seem that way. Everything I do comes from others on here. I'm seriously indebted to all you guys. :wave:

1 person likes this.
  5. mono

mono Senior Member

Just to let you know... I've only just started reading the thread from the beginning, and I already know I am going to thoroughly enjoy your documentation and work process. Many thanks for the hours and effort you have put into this thread, I think I'm one of many people to learn and be inspired by your posts. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Indeed! When I found this forum, I spent a week just carefully reading through your build threads. Hell, I still go back and look stuff up on this thread as I plan my LP-inspired build. Your precise craftsmanship and documentation throughout are nothing short of amazing, even if you're too modest to admit it. I am only one of many people who are continually inspired by your work, and I have to give the thanks I owe you.

2 people like this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Senior Member

Barnaby, put on your hazmat suit and a rebreather, and finish that Drama Queen. Some of us really want to see that baby wail! :)

3 people like this.
  8. SG Marc

SG Marc Senior Member

I scanned through the thread and saw the "R" in the headstock. I love that design!! I used an "R" for my last name on my first guitar and had such a hard time trying to make something that I liked. The color of your guitar came out great also!! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

we need more barnaby guitars

3 people like this.
  10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:hmm:..........every time I see a picture of Jimi, I wonder what he'd be playing now if he was still here with us.

What an awesome musician & Guitarist he was, not to mention an innovator in his day. :thumb:

[​IMG]

RIP Jimi. :)

:cheers:

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  11. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Wow...it was weird to see this thread suddenly bumped! :shock:

I still have the guitar and play it almost every day. In fact, I just tried doing a video with a THR10 that I picked up recently to see how the recording sound is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRgfEazJ8c

The Loveshark continues to swim...:cool:

4 people like this.
  12. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

sounds really great. sweet sound. your 'noodling' ain't half bad either, mate. need more.

1 person likes this.
  13. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Cheers! As you know, I make no claims as to actually being able to play the guitar, but I do like the sound that I can get with this amp. It's the first time I've been able to capture a balanced tone that shows the 'twang' of the bridge pickup with the coils split. I'm so technically inept that I need people to keep inventing cool gadgets that make even people like me able to do halfway decent recordings...

2 people like this.
  14. njk

njk Senior Member

Just out of curiosity Barnaby, have you ever considered an amp build?, Its something you could get away with on a kitchen table, without the whole street listening to some mad Brit sawing away all night, or is that a bad inuendo? :shock:
    I'm sure you could impart some cool mojo into it, after all its where the true sound really is, the other end of the cable is just a stick with some wires and strings attached.

1 person likes this.
  15. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

:laugh2:

Hey!

Yes, I definitely have. I've looked at circuits, considered woods and designs for the cabinet, wondered about vintage vs. modern components and thought about which speakers might be best.

The only thing that stops me is that I could build it, but, living in the apartment, I could never actually turn it on and play - instant eviction!

2 people like this.
  16. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Senior Member

Just get yourself TH2 amp emulation software and a nice pair of headphones.

1 person likes this.
  17. njk

njk Senior Member

:laugh2:

That's a shame, I'm sure you'd do a top notch job at it.
    Those Yamaha's look great by the way. Pricey but they seem to have a great sound for such a tiny bit of kit

1 person likes this.
  18. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Definitely worth the money. I've borrowed other amps and also tried recording using M-Audio and other things, as well as the emulated output from the Blackstar. The Yamaha works better than all of them, plays well through headphones, has a good sound at low volume and is generally really intuitive. I think it's a great practice/recording tool.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is some of the modelling of effects, but that's true of pretty well all such amps. I'm lucky enough to have some decent pedals, and they're always going to sound better with a tube amp than a bunch of digital afterthoughts...yeah, I know. Call me a corksniffer! :laugh2:

19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

corksniffer

haha nah your alright

1 person likes this.
  20. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

...well, at least I make my own corks by hand! :dude:

4 people like this.