Another Dumpsterburst

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by 2manyGuitars, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

No one ever heard of B-Stock at these places? :'(

2. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

No wonder Gibson is in trouble ($500M note due March '18). I work in the automotive industry and heaven and earth gets moved on a regular basis to shut off quality issues.
    Hundreds of guitars waiting to be scrapped? What is Gibson doing to improve their manufacturing processes? Not enough, apparently.
    In reading the reviews on Glass Door, turnover is high among the first line supervisors at Gibson. Morale is very low as a result.
    Another clue to the dysfunction is all the executive level jobs there that can't be filled.
    I have a feeling that Gibson will be owned by someone else as soon as next year. Companies with this level of management chaos usually don't survive.

3. eclectiq

eclectiq Junior Member

QC issues aside... as someone who has many years experience working for one of the two major shipping companies (the one that has the Fender contract); if its damaged in shipping the carrier "buys" the damaged item.

That being said, the damaged item was returned to the carrier to be sold as salvage freight to recoup some of the loss.

I assume that there must be something contractual preventing that from happening in this case.

Either way....what a freakin' shame for a bottom-feeder like me.

4. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

They just look like guitars that have suffered headstock breaks in shipping. It's not worth the hassle for Gibson to repair them when they can build a new body from scratch for much cheaper, plus the last thing they want is hundreds more Gibsons in the marketplace with headstock repairs to show how dodgy the necks are. They'll just ask GC to strip the parts then destroy the guitar rather than waste money shipping it back for Gibson to dispose it themselves.

The same sort of waste goes on at most big companies, the money they'll save churning out sub standard products isn't worth it financially or the hit on their reputation. Best time to dumpster dive is the end of the financial year when most companies spend spend spend to get rid of any money left in their budgets just so they don't have t cut back the next year :)

JoeBguitar likes this.
  5. kasu

kasu Senior Member

Ha, I actually bought that one. Its my winter project :). I might post a restore thread in the "Luthiers corner" when the time comes. I have no idea about the YT-dudes reasoning about Gibson supposedly destroying guitars but this was a used 96 classic. According to the seller it was in smashed up by a jelaous wife. I have no reason to think otherwise. I also found some more info on it. Its still up on this page, where it was sold as a preowned instrument (Note that its marked as out of stock): https://www.gearlicio.us/product/1996gibsonlespaulclassicpremiumtop-heritagesunburstguitar/

Wolf ^_^ likes this.
  6. space

space Senior Member

I picked up a Martin D28 right b4 the store room guy was going to Pete Townsend it

7. Wolf ^_^

Wolf ^_^ Senior Member

I knew it! Thtat guitar has being for sale before like a couple years ago I think, really nice top, and the history is consistent with what I read back then, people are over sensationalizing Gibson's issues

Hope it turns out great man

kasu likes this.
  8. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

You guys should see the 2017 -18 Mustangs I seen ready for the crusher....they are pretty big Ooopes! but they are full cars. They could have gone to a school, or academy or whatever.....they dont even strip parts off them.....they go in the crusher....end of story.

Also that guys channel has lots of good tube amp repair stuff....been watching him for a while.

Not sure why he has switched it up to dumpster diving....

9. kasu

kasu Senior Member

Yeah. I was quite surprised to see this thread (since its my axe :) ) and also the YT video of course. It will take alot of work but it will rock again :band:.
    Its weird though that the gold top ended up in the dumpster. The story may well be true, but I doubt its very common.

10. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Rock on brad..
    I hope to score some goods from their super clean dumpster soon..

Gary from Clarksville In.

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Same, the food waste at most places is insane. I'm sure every industry is like this, too. There needs to be some kind of incentive to conserve, but god forbid anything interfere with laissez faire capitalism....

It really is amazing how the people in charge of this stuff can watch vast amounts of waste going on day after day and never stop to think about it for even a second.

Think about the resources that go into fully growing a Mahogany tree, cutting it down, shipping the wood, all the woodworking and more shipping before it finally reaches the store, only to be chucked in the trash. The cycle of that wood breaking back down (now covered in nitrocellulose mixed with all kinds of chemicals to keep it from deteriorating) will take ages. If it were truly as simple as you say, deforestation would not be an issue because "the trees will grow back, after all".

I'm not sure how you could think a story about an angry girlfriend smashing her man's guitar is less likely than "the headstock broke in shipping, so they chucked it"...

90% of the stories told by people selling gear are demonstrably false. The insane, ridiculous tales I've heard despite copious evidence to the contrary makes me doubt everything unless proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

lol, you're gonna fit right in here.

13. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

It's simple economics. If Gibson could make money of seconds, they would. Sure,if Gibson gave the guitars to Guitar Center, or even refunded the original price, the GC could repair them and make money--at Gibson's expense, since that would be one less Gibson sale for Gibson.

The "bottom line" is that the margin on new Gibsons makes it uneconomical to reapair.

JoeBguitar likes this.