Another Dumpsterburst

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by 2manyGuitars, Oct 24, 2017.

1. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

Is Gibson taking this whole relic think a bit too far?

On this guy's youtube channel, he posts videos of stuff he finds in his local Guitar Centre dumpster. He was going there regularly for guitar shipping boxes and a lot of times, he'll find perfectly useable gear in there. Enough so that he started posting videos of his finds. Last month, he found a Les Paul in there. Apparently, it's not an isolated incident as you can see from the video above.

Here's the one from last month...

Attached Files:

2. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

Most companies are like this where I work I have thrown over 2000lbs of french fries myself in a shift.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

All your rosewood are belong to us.
    Why the hell, Gibson, doesn't have a seconds program in place to salvage wood from instruments that one way or another passed the non-existent QC control?

If they don't bother, why not let others do that?
    Are they (we) in position to really dispose such things without a second thought?

PermissionToLand and Gtarzan81 like this.
  4. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

What I hate about it, is even if it has some flaws. I'm sure they can be fixed if not too serious.
    But it ends up in a dumpster, while you could make some music school with little money very happy with it.
    Maybe it's a legal thing, because I have heard about music schools having to decline gifted instruments.
    I just can't help but thinking about making someone (or even multiple people) very happy with it, instead of throwing it away.

5. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I asked our local Ops Manager about that, because he does all the dumps.

His exact quote was, "Good luck with that. It's empty 15 minutes after I dump."

Says he has a group of like 3 or 4 guys that empty it out, at least twice a day.

6. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

You know, when I worked at Gibson up at Elgin IL, we'd regularly go to Nashburg and on a Friday we'd be at the warehouse where final setups and shipping was.... and you would see a hundred...maybe more....guitars, basses..... from CS Goldtops to T-Birds to Johnny Smiths..... all on carts ready to be destroyed. Hardware, electronics all stripped off. Knowing that they would be firewood by Monday. It would literally break me heart every time I would see it. At the time it was an ironic twist that the guy whose job it was to take each guitar, cut the neck, cut the body and chuck them into the trash bin... was goddam drummer, lol...

All that beautiful, truly beautiful wood gone forever.....

8. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Oh, and they would ship them off to the Jack Daniels plant to make charcoal and Gibson got all the Jack they wanted for all the trade shows, special events, etc. True story. We'd down a shot and jokingly say to non-Gibson people "yup... that was a BB", or "I can taste a bit of goldtop".....

9. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Brad is a great guy BTW.
    The GC where the gold top came from is in Louisville..
    I know the manager of this GC & will have to be let known when good stuff gets dumped..
    He did have an inside tip from someone who works there..

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I think you'll find that a process called composting has been going on for billions of years. The molecules making up the wood have probably been trees many times in the life of the earth.

11. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Last year, I bought myself a guitar at another major music retailer that had undergone a headstock break. I bought it as new with a repair and no warranty. I love the guitar. It's one of my favorites.

I am very grateful that my particular guitar did not get smashed or cut up. To see things like htis makes me a little sad as well. Especially with the price of new guitars these days. I also cannot imagine that Gibson would give them any money back on a guitar that got damaged in the store?

12. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The idea is to keep defective stuff out of the market in order to maintain Gibson's reputation for quality. (That statement is not intended as the joke it appears to be.) It's a widespread practice, not specific to the guitar world. They don't want someone doing an amateurish, bad "fix" and claiming "it's a Gibson."

DW4LesPaul and bluesondoor like this.
  13. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu Member

That's hilarious! I love that. :rofl:

14. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

In the 70’s Gibson used to offer their employees guitars with defects that were stamped “BGN” on the back of the headstock - which stood for Bargain. These had all kinds of issues from warped necks, badly seated neck joints, etc. I have an old SJ Deluxe acoustic that was a BGN. It took a sh#tload of work, including a neck reset, just to make it playable. They stopped offering up BGN guitars to employees because they would sometime be out in the marketplace and could compromise their reputation. Now, it would probably be in said dumpster. ... Or hanging in Guitar Center.

DW4LesPaul and DarrellV like this.
  15. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

It must vary by location. My local GC had an L.P. for sale - an Epi even, not a Gibson - that was brand new, stickers and all, with a headstock repair. Guy there told me it had broken in transit to the store, and they fixed it.

16. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

Been to the Gibson Memphis factory tours many times since they opened in 2000 or so, and there's always a collection of guitars with defects ready to be cut up! Yeah, Gibson does not want defects being dressed up and sold as a Gibson. I wouldn't mind taking them home after each tour.

The irony is that we buy brand new Gibson guitars and some do require a lot of tweaking, blemished, fret repairs, etc... case in point, we all know from postings on this forum asking for help, opinions, or send them back for a replacement!

However, that Ebay listing with broken headstock and hammered body should definitely be cut up as firewood.

17. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

why they cannot afford to take out usable parts?
    as in fretboards, bodies etc, yes technically they will be refurbished, but they could make a special line for such things,
    If anything it would help their Image....

18. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I am in construction and have probably thrown away enough material to build two houses. Wasteful.

19. rtTX

rtTX Junior Member

... They don't want someone doing an amateurish, bad "fix" and claiming "it's a Gibson."

That would certainly be a welcome development! Below is how a BJA LP Jr I purchased several years ago emerged from its factory-sealed box.

That gunk on nut was some sort of epoxy! Repaired properly by local luthier under Gibson warranty.

Just dropped off new 2017 Les Paul Standard HP received last month to same luthier yesterday. Beautiful instrument but the bridge pup's volume pot on PCB doesn't work properly and there's an issue with the 3-way pup selector switch.

Gibson LPJr - BJA_5761 - Nut.jpg

endial likes this.
  20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

I think there's two different things we're talking about here. One is what you'd call a "second" or "blem" produced by Gibson that they don't want released into the marketplace (even as a giveaway) because it degrades the quality of the brand. That's sad, and potentially wasteful, but I assume there's some degree "dead loss" in the mass production of any good, and a lot of this happens with other brands (and other products in other industries) and we just don't see it.

But I thought there was a second thing going on in the videos posted at the top of this thread - he was hinting/alleging that Guitar Centers or other vendors were destroying perfectly good Gibsons, or perhaps ones with very minor defects, to manage inventory. For example, I'm looking at buying either a 2017 or 2018 Tribute Goldtop right now. The 2018's just came out, but GC seems to still have quite a bit of those 2017's in stock. They don't sell all of them, and they mark down the 2017's to a degree (maybe $100 off), but it would be a poor sales decision to blow them out for $400, or whatever. So...what happens to the unsold stock?

DW4LesPaul and PermissionToLand like this.