anico 8 magnets?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Al Walker, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Anybody played around with a8s? I'm curious about them. Do they make a pickup overly aggressive? I'm doing some pickup experimentation. Right now I installed 2 rotary switches in my Oscar Schmidt OE20 to try different partial coil cuts. When I finish that I'm thinking of getting an a8 and play around with a rotary switching diagram I found .

http://guitarelectronics.com/1-humbucker-1-volume-1-tone-5-way-rotary-switch/

I normaly like my guitars simple in function, but, I have this inexpensive platform to experiment with.

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

They're have more overall strength than the other popular AlNiCo grades, and are rather similar to ceramic magnets in situ, so if you're tried ceramic, you've effectively almost tried AlNiCo 8.

I think it's a great idea to try a stronger magnet with a humbucker you intend to split or put in parallel. A lot of guitarists seem to think split and parallel modes sound to anemic compared to a Fender type single coil, and one of the features of a Fender single coil is that they almost always having AlNiCo pole pieces in the bobbin and close to the strings, which makes for a stronger magnetic field between the string and the pickup. Maby by using an AlNiCo 8 bar you can get closer to that Fender ideal when you run split or parallel.

3. metale

metale Senior Member

A pickup brand I use likes to use A8 alot.

I currently have them on two pickups. While I haven't tried these same pickups with other magnets for comparation, one of them is based on the JB and my feeling is that A8 is angrier on the low mids and less nasal on the high mids. Could be due to other factors though.

Also more output like Antigua said.

The nuances on the mids remind me of UOA5 magnets, but while UOA5 has a touch less output compared to A5, the A8 has quite a bit more.