Angus Young's SGs

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by BleedingEdge, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

according to guitargeek he used 10-48's, standard SG's and marshall JMP100 heads at half volume - and as many jmp 4x12 cabs as he could fit in...

one of the reasons for using a lot of models he never ever used that whammy bar and used non whammy models later

2. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

True, and I also think it's important to mention that there the two eras of AC/DC (Bon / Brian) have different guitar sounds, at least to my ears. The Angus Gibson signature pickup sounds more like Back In Black and later, whereas the earlier stuff was a bit rawer and more tinny.

3. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

4. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

I just bought tickets to see AC/DC in Dallas in January. It'll be good to see the boys again, it's been years.

5. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

This is from memory but what I do know is that Angus' favorite SG is the dark red one with the lightning bolt inlays on it. I'm not sure of the year because the neck was replaced by an English luthier if I remember correctly. The neck is insanely small though. The nut measures 1.5" and the thickness is something like .73" at the first fret and .8" at 12. Ebony fingerboard with the lightning inlays. According to Angus' tech it has PAFs in it, no idea about their output. It's pretty easy to spot because of the inlays and the cream selector ring on it. The custom shop made him a copy in 2001 which you can see on the new Guitar World cover.

6. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

Early he was playing almost always the 68 with the lyre tail piece but never really used the whammy. Later concerts showed him with mostly stop tails of all types, some old early 60s half pickguards and some late 60's with the full pickguard.

Some of those 68-69 SGs had Pat. # sticker Non-T Tops in them (looks like PAFs), I know first hand as I had one with them.

Angus got most of his sound from his amps, a wall of Marshalls even with most settings set in the middle, still enough volume will create that sound of his which is really intersting beacuse it first seems like he's using a good bit of distortion but when you listen closer he's much cleaner, especially in his solos.

7. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

Hey solo.
    Strings.
    I've read he uses 9's in some books,and in others I've read he uses 10's.
    And one place said he kind of mix matches different guage strings from thicker than normal on the bass strings to 9's on the high e string.
    I would like to fins an article maybe from one of his techs or where he himself possibly addresses this and sets it straight.Where did you hear he uses 9's?

8. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

Angus played a very nice Custom on the '79 tour. It had a Custom headstock, but the middle pickup was removed and a white '66 pickguard was used to cover it.
    This was an Emerald Green guitar that was used during part of the 'Let There Be Rock' movie when he changed guitars, this is the one he used.
    He also recorded much of Back In Black with it.
    He broke it out again for 'Blow Up Your Video' and used it for the cover shot.

9. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

I remember having this photo on a 12" single "Let There Be Rock" recorded in Dec 1981.
    Whatever show it was they were having a bad night.

10. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

That is a JayDee SG in that pic. The same brand that made Iommi's old boy. That one Angus has has lightning bolt inlays and looks awesome.

11. JohnQ

JohnQ Senior Member

Solo- great looking guitars. I also must say that whenever I'm trying to learn an AC/DC song or riff I go straight to your tutorials. For a novice like myself they have been very easy to follow for the most part.

Sorry for the hijack- back to the SGs!!

12. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

I've been an Angus fan for years... Have "flick of the switch" tatooed on my Leg to show for it!!!!

Anyway.... one of the above posters is dfead on correct... There's a Bon Era sound and a Brian Era Sound....

One of the reasons is... MONEY...

Before Highway to Hell.... AC/DC had not really broken out and while angus was already permanently associated with an SG... AC/DC was not yet the power house it would become after the release of Back In Black...

Highway to Hell frimly established the group at the top of the heap, however, when it was recorded, they were still not firmly established in the US, thus, they didn't have "clout" that they would have After Back in Black.

Therefore, Angus played what he could get, he couldn't snap his fingers and have marshall, gibson and seymour duncan jump up and race to figure out what the rain did to "number 1" when he played it in the rain.

13. EtriX

EtriX Senior Member

Well they do make a Angus Sig.
    Jaydee Custom Guitars - Angus Young SG
    so Gibson made a Sig out of a clone :D

14. Dirty

Dirty Member

I would like to se Angus SG custom reissued!
    The one he used on the Highway To Hell tour and forward.
    Can be seen on "Blow Up Your Video"
    What do we know about that guitar?

[​IMG]

15. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Tested one here (what you'll see is a foolish video made of images: had no time to shoot a video of it).
    But you'll hear it in the original recording I did with it.
    Here, if you would:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plGlaPmSX00]YouTube - SoloDallas' "Original Clone" © SoloDallas 2009[/ame]

Thank you,

SD

16. brimay

brimay Senior Member

Great vids mate and sounds wonderful.

I also want to thank you for your teachings. They helped me become the guitarist i am today. :thumb:

17. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Thank you!

18. brimay

brimay Senior Member

Your very Welcome. :thumb:

19. crushmorgan

crushmorgan Senior Member

I've been on MLP for a year now and I just now notice that the king of playing AC/DC (Beside Angus himself) is on here. Rock on Solo

20. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Thank you!