Angus Young's FIRST SG was NOT a 1968

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by SoloDallas, Jan 25, 2010.

1. twelub

twelub Junior Member

Firstly thanks for a great forum, newbie here! I worked at the NEC arena in 1991 on the AC/DC Razors Edge tour and was lucky to have back stage entry. Met the band and had a laff and checked out Angus's rack of 6 SG's They were all late 60's and early 70's but I didn't have the common sense to ask him about them as I had hung my guitars up 2 years earlier. Sis have his used picks and strings tho (strings I lost :-(...don't ask!) I grew up playing to early DC and got every riff and song of the 70's note for note but gotta say Solo Dallas....YOU ROCK mate!! If I had the money then for the gear you probably would have been me! lol Great work on the info my friend!

2. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Thanks matey... and welcome to da forum!!! :applause:

3. xxjagerxx

xxjagerxx Senior Member

great thread,i really enjoyed reading that

4. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Senior Member

Great read!

5. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

Very interesting SD! I've watched you on YouTube for years, and I would agree with this, and that you know your SG's!

6. angusvanfrehley

angusvanfrehley Member

Both Angus and Malcolm (and many other Aussie/NZ) used Holden/Wasp amplifiers in the early 1970s.

Link below:

Holden/Wasp

7. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

just scanning thru this thread again and noticed this tid-bit, does any one have any ideas which tracks he used, or may have used, a Jr or Special? just curious

8. chad kennith

chad kennith Senior Member

Yeah, I have heard Angus Young say that he has broken in Sg headstock off numerous times, so they probably added the volute in the neck to help prevent it from happening again.

9. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Not for him alone. That used to happen rather frequently in the '60s, therefore they added it. But not only to SGs, it went to all the line of guitars.

Standard feature for almost all Gibsons back then.

10. chad kennith

chad kennith Senior Member

Not only has he broken is headstock off. His SG was a reject from the factory. So this doesn't prove anything.

11. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Yikes!
    they are a beast of an amp! I started with a Strauss 120 watt head and two quad boxes - monstrous thing - valve sockets directly mounted on bakelite circuit boards - after some serious arcing the board was reduced to conducting carbon refuse - amp never worked properly ever again!

As for Angus and his SGs, I have seen VERY early photos of Angus playing amongst other things, An SG Les Paul Custom (year unknown), an SG Les Paul Std with Sideways vibrato (year unknown) and a black Les Paul Custom with two humbuckers (the latter on video on some Australian pop show).

Angus and Malcolm come from a very musical background (Harry Vanda and George Young - legendary Australian songwriters, and I think maybe members of The Easybeats), so you may find that in their very early days, they were borrowing gear from their older generations!

SoloDallas likes this.
  12. Hoboman

Hoboman Senior Member

13. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

David would love to see those.
    Would you like to register with us at Solodallas > Classic Rock music community. Guitar & gear reviews, AC/DC Guitar tutorials, Performance Videos Would love to have you mate.

Fil :)

14. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

From wikipedia, so take for a grain of salt.

15. EvLectric

EvLectric Senior Member

Huh?:shock:
    Kind of like Barry Manilow singing for Metallica.

Actually that probably wouldn't surprise me as much as this anymore....

16. DJordan

DJordan Junior Member

I know this ended a while ago and I'm not sure any of you will see this, but about Angus' collection - My cousin had a guitar teacher a while ago that owned a 2 of a kind prototype '58 SG. He picked it up in the 70's off some guitar shop that had no idea what it was, he bought it for something like £700, the guitar is now worth something stupid like £200-300,000 (vintage, super rare - all that shit) Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is because the guy has had offers from Peter Green and Angus, He offered something crazy money wise, but the guy declined because he can't part with it (understandably). Nothing else to say really and I don't know if there's much point in posting this as I'm not sure any of you will see this (and of course there's always people who will tell me I'm bullshitting) but if there's anyone who knows more about this guitar than me it's SoloDallas, Cheers,
    Dan.

17. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Thanks, Dan - would love to see some pics of this mythical beast!

18. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Senior Member

The tone he got on soul stripper is my fave. I know that was w the 71. So raw. Problem child is another one that has somethin special going on for me. Pure ttop for sure. Malcom played some great lead o. Soul stripper. Great tone

19. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Senior Member

That live show from the powerage tour on YouTube. 78 i think. thats thefirst guitar w a wrap tail piece. I guess maybe the neck was twisting or bowing. Id say its still his number one.

20. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Senior Member

Ummm... can't somebody here just call Angus and ask him? :)

(That'd be fun, wouldn't it? LOL)