Angus Young's FIRST SG was NOT a 1968

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by SoloDallas, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

There, I said it.

Now proof of that.
    But before, a little introduction.

If you have paid some attention at Gibson's recent years claims on that - Angus' first SG (or most preferred) being a 1968 SG - they built on that creating a number of AY Signatures.
    I love those guitars and owned the first AY Signature (then sold, since it was a copy of some of my vintage SGs) and then I am a super happy owner of the limited 50 played by him (for 3 seconds each).
    This is not the point.
    The point on my behalf is just to keep on gathering and distributing correct information on the subject (why? Because I am one of the most passionate AC/DC fans out there, that's why).

So, the information I am willing to give (with proof, hopefully) is that at least Angus' first SG was not at all a 1968.
    It was a late 1970 or 1971 Gibson SG standard.

Does this matter this much? No. Not "that" much.
    It's just an additional piece of information for the gearheads like me.

So let's put a few images on the table to begin with:

A very young Angus with his first SG:

[​IMG]

What you see up there is unmistakably an (at least) very late '69 or 1970/'71.
    Why?

- Guitar color is walnut (brownish) as opposed to dark cherry. Walnut was in fact introduced in those very late years and was not available yet in 1968.
    - the guitar cutaways are unmistakably shallow carved, a feature only introduced in those late years (as opposed to the 1968 carving that was deeper). To better see this, please take a look at the two comparative images right below here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top: a 1970 SG standard (walnut, shallow cutaway carving)
    Bottom: a 1968 SG standard (dark cherry, deeper cutaway carving).

If this was not proof enough, please take a look at this SG featured on this video (Let There Be Rock):

[​IMG]

On this one you can clearly see another element that was introduced ONLY at the very end of 1969: a volute.
    Visible in the picture, what appears also to be the infamous "MADE IN USA" stamp that was introduced further on, late 1970.

Also, it might be of note that the guitar Gibson has built the second signature on, has shallow carvings, too, leading me to believe what we are seeing might be really Angus' first SG, that has undergone a number of transformations:

[​IMG]

And finally, an article I had dug out where Angus clearly states the year of his first SG:

[​IMG]

So there, now you have it too.

Discuss if you want.

All the best,

yours,

SD

PS and Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT at all an attempt at flaming Gibson.
    I love Gibson and their guitars. This is ONLY my personal interest in finding the exact gear used and possibly, replicate it.
    So please DO NOT carry on a anti Gibson flame here. Thank you :)

deyago, d1m1, allbusinessjoe and 29 others like this.
  2. Blackie_old

Blackie_old Banned

You make a case but I am unconvinced.

3. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

Explaining why you are unconvinced might further the discussion.

4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

It seems that Angus clearly states that he does not know what year it is. BUT! He does believe it's at least a '69.

5. AllmanJoy77

AllmanJoy77 Senior Member

SoloDallas, you have done it again! Great research man! I really respect you for doing something like this!

Dica likes this.
  6. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Perfectly legit on your behalf.

I think he didn't even care much. But since there ARE some subtle differences between these models and they DO sound a bit different... it was a huge find for me.

Thanks mate. To tell you the truth, it happened by complete chance. I THOUGHT I had a '68. Then found out I had a '70. Then wanted a '68 and started inspecting Angus' images to see what type of '68 I needed.
    Then - only then - found that his guitar had the volute and such things. Like the one I didn't want! So the story began there.

7. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Solo knows more about Angus than Angus!

Just accept it!!:thumb:

CosmicEnergy, d1m1 and Dica like this.
  8. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Amazing, though I know that Angus sounds like Angus whatever SG he plays.

1983 likes this.
  9. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Of course :)

But I did notice that despite what he used to say "give me a piece of wood with strings" he DOES care about the guitar he plays.
    Not the production year, that more of a foolish collector thing we do.
    But other aspects. He knows that it'll make a difference (for the better) in his playing when he can play a guitar that has those things he likes.

That's why he also amassed (literally) hundreds of SGs in a warehouse over the years!

10. Deguello

Deguello Senior Member

Nice work...

I actually learned something interesting today, lately I leave here with more questions than answers

11. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

A pleasing comment :)

12. 05jrock

05jrock Senior Member

I remember reading in an ACDC book that ever since he was a wee lad he only wanted to play a gibson because someone in his neighbourhood had one and he wanted one as soon as he saw it.

13. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Proof, if ever it was needed that there ARE some very knowledgeable guys here who are more than happy to share the benefits of their wisdom.

14. standard man

standard man Senior Member

Wow! Thanks for this post!

15. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

I'm really not sure what that one his latest signature is based on is. At least the neck has been replaced. It has PAFs in it and apparently the color and the carve don't match. You may be right it might be his original or one of a similar vintage that has been just completely worked over.

16. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Yes, I too am unsure. Mine can only be suppositions based on what I see.
    JayDee guitars seems to have done several modifications and restorations to the originals early Angus' SGs in time.
    He states that the neck in fact was replaced (I believe, with an identical or very similar super thin one, probably built by him in person). The main body I think stayed more or less the same, minus obvious restorations he had to do because of heavy usage and massive sweat.
    Jaydee Custom Guitars - Angus Young story

Angus said he hadn't replaced the original Ttops (late 60s SGs had Ttops in them), but then again, he is known to like original 50s or early 60s original PAFs. So he may well have replaced the Ttops in time.
    Recently, on Angus' no.1 and no.2 live guitars (easily visible in the many shots taken in the current live tour) Seymour Dancan's Pearly Gates have been installed. The bridge PU being slightly modified by Dancan for Angus.

These very same Dancans are the ones supposed to be in this last batch of AY Signatures.
    Owning one of them, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this pickup.

Seymour's Corner - Seymour Duncan helps Angus Young with his tone - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Anyway.

As a break, I'm posting my version of "Let There Be Rock", recorded and posted yesterday on YouTube.
    The track underneath is original, but comes from a Dolby 5.1 mix that allowed to remove partially some guitar parts. So I was able to solo on it without ANgus' original part.

Guitar used is one of my two 1970s SG Standards played on Guitar Rig 4 with a modified patch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_rvr8pVz8&[/ame]

17. VIREBEL661

VIREBEL661 Senior Member

Great post Solo! I'm with you - I think you have a valid and proven argument...

18. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Thank you.
    As an additional point, taking chance on your post,
    we might add that it is still unclear whether Angus (and Gibson) refer to Angus' first SG or his preferred one.

This to me is still unclear, though I'd tend to choose the path of his first guitar not being necessarily his most preferred one.
    I was in fact reading other interviews recently, old ones, where he mentions the fact that his preferred one was in fact a '67 or '68, not mentioning if that was his first guitar.

This would indeed concede that his preferred one could be a later purchase.
    In this case, Gibson marketing claims could be 100% true.

But this would bring doubt on why then Gibson chose to do the cutaway carvings on these recent SGs more like 1970s SGs, less pronounced therefore.

All mental ramblings, but since there are differences in the guitars tones and construction, it could still matter some.

To the next update,

Thank you!

SD

19. EvLectric

EvLectric Senior Member

Can anybody make out what the amps say in the first pic? Maybe Park or Narb, both Marshall brands? I've messed with the pic with a photo editor some, but can't quite make it out.
    edit: never mind - it says Wasp.

20. Sirus

Sirus Senior Member

Hah...nice post and thanks for sharing,information aside it was fun reading!!!:thumb:
    You the man:dude: