ANALOG vs DIGITAL which delay do you play ?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by BOBBO, Oct 5, 2007.

What delay do you prefer ??

1. Analog delay

46.0%
  2. Digital delay

46.6%
  3. Tape delay

14.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DesertBurst

DesertBurst Senior Member

TC electronic Nova digital delay is awesome. versatile, very little tone suckage, 9 presets...
    tried boss digital delay, It kills your tone.

2. Wolf Child

Wolf Child Banned

Isn't there a relationship of sorts between TC Electronics and T Rex?

3. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo
    Hiwatt Custom Tape Echo
    Eventide TimeFactor Digital Delay
    MXR Carbon Copy (analog)

They all have a distinct "voice"

I like having as many sonic options as possible and/or i can afford :~)

4. Peripeteticqs

Peripeteticqs Member

I voted analog. Nothing against the other choices however, I just get what I need from analog. I have friends who would hate to be limited by my delay.

I too use an Arion SAD-1 delay. I love the way it sounds. It is not particularly versatile or anything, but it is a nice moody sounding pedal. I guess you could say that it is fairly dark (hard to say, as I tend to make most things sound dark out of preference).

Before picking one up I looked at a Carbon Copy and liked it, though it didn't seem as moody (I know that is a vague, unhelpful description).

I too am interested in the new Analog Memory Toy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVbK5iCSyIc[/ame]

5. Iancognito

Iancognito Senior Member

I have a Boss DD-6 I bought used quite cheap. Mostly use it for a bit of an echo effect. I try not to rely on pedals but it's nice having them there for a bit of experimentation sometimes.

6. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

Im a sucker for good tone and have never been keen on effects as I want it pure but.....a boss dd6 is what i used on a cover of thin lizzys still in love with you for that fading echo..its ok..i only use it on that one song..and I have an analog spring reverb unit which is great.....digi reverb sucks I found out so got a vanamps solemate.....its nice. I think analog reverb is a must....but with delay you can get a way with digi tech for that effect.

im starting to introduce slightly more of each into my playing..not sure if it will work but......worth a shot..my pedals boards woth £650+ so I may as well try to use it a little

7. Twentythirdeye

Twentythirdeye Senior Member

I use digital. I like the consistency of the delay when it's ringing out. Really sharp. Analog delay gets flater and rounder as it rings out.

8. The DUDE

The DUDE Senior Member

Why? You rely on your amp to produce a certain sound - don't you? What makes pedals any different from your amp? Both produce an expected sound, both contain electronic components that affect your guitar's signal, both are capable of crapping out on you....

And likewise - you don't buy cheap amps and expect them to sound good...why would you expect cheap pedals to sound as good as higher quality ones?

Have you used any digital delays other than the DD6?

9. X–Ray

haha, i was just going to make a similar comment...

i have always wondered why some guitarists consider only the combination of a guitar and an amp as the, "tone"

whereas, the combination of a guitar, an amp, and effects is not considered "tone"

if anyone responds to the above, please do not stomp on the, "rant fest" box or the "either/or" pedal

so, in addition to what the guitarist brings to the equation
    , what then creates "tone"?

10. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Ephects are phun.

11. matthornet

matthornet Senior Member

Does The Edge of U2 use an analog or digital delay for his primary echo sounds?

12. X–Ray

pretty sure an old Electro-Harmonix Memory Man (analog)...

13. X–Ray

if tape delay units such as the Fulltone True Tape Echo were less expensive (i paid $1,100 at the time) - maybe $500ish, would there be any converts?

or, if money was not a concern, consider changing teams?

hmm...

14. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Exactly. I used to tell my students that for the 'electric guitar', the instrument starts where your fingertips end and goes all the way to the speakers, and includes all things in between.

15. stratomaster15

stratomaster15 Junior Member

I like using my Boss DD-3. I find I like the long, cleanly-repeated delay signal that I can achieve for the things I need (indie). Not saying that analog delays are wrong - whatever bloats your goat! :)

16. GIANTRobOT420

GIANTRobOT420 Senior Member

Ive been rockin this little sucker. Its has a wide variety sonic spaciness. Plus you can control it with an exp pedal
    [​IMG]

17. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Member

My feelings exactly. Couldn't justify paying some of those higher prices for features I don't need that some of those high end models offer. There are lots of good ones to pick from. I'm not playing professionaly, just entertaining myself and this CC nails it especially when combined with the Fender Reverb. Just the right amount of rich warm sounding analog delay for a decent price.

18. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i use the memory boy with an expression pedal, but i have a boss re-20 on the way as well, so i'm in the analog and digital camps. if i could have an echoplex i would abandon all other camps immediately though :thumb:

19. koen

koen Member

20. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

On a side note, the weather has been so hot here in Perth for the last few days that something a bit surprising happened at my gig last night. I was setting up, and had plugged in the power and the footswitch for my WEM Copicat. I then opened the lid to plug in the input...and the tape loop had separated! In the gloom I carefully stuck it back together with my fingers and it held for the gig.:fingersx:

Never had that happen before.