ANALOG vs DIGITAL which delay do you play ?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by BOBBO, Oct 5, 2007.

What delay do you prefer ??

1. Analog delay

46.0%
  2. Digital delay

46.6%
  3. Tape delay

14.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robster

Robster Premium Member

Here's my delay. Analog all the way, baby.

[​IMG]

Rob

2. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

You cant get more analog than my delay... I go outside and point my amp towards the mountains and get my echo that way. ( I have actually done this... its really cool!)

3. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

I have that carbon copy. Loads of fun! Turn the regen all the way up and mess with the delay time, a real show stopper!!!!

4. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

Analog! I can't justify paying $700 more for a tape delay than I paid for a pedal.

5. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I own/use all 3. Tape sounds cool! But most of those are old and need routine maintainence which ups the hassle factor (for me), but they have a sound you can't get from analog or digital. Analog bucket brigade delays have a nice warmth, but if you need super long delay times they don't get the job done, and sometimes the old analog units are really noisy. I dig the lo-fi vibe for certain things. Digital is what it is, more cold sounding, not as greasy as analog or tape, but you have a more flexibility. Lately they have been making digital units that sound more old school, like the new Space Echo.

6. antei

antei Senior Member

I have the HBE Mimic Mock 2 and it sounds awesome. Just have to worry about the clock sounds if you turn the repeat up too much.

7. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

HBE Mimic Mock 2...I want to get one of those...

8. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Just got this used the other day and have been loving the sounds I can get from this. Still finding my ways to apply the sounds to our songs..

Excellent pedal. Have always loved presets but I've heard alot of stories of the DL4 breaking down, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this lasts.

9. kingofnima

kingofnima Senior Member

I use the carbon copy and love it!!! it sounds incredibly warm and beautiful!!!

10. drewbertca

drewbertca V.I.P. Member

my reel to reel tape recorder is my favorite delay

11. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

A thing of beauty Robster !!!!! :thumb: .... Love to hear it in action !!!!! :applause:

12. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

I was looking around for a delay pedal. Going back to pedals after buying a tube amp. Didn't want the digital stuff. Read good reviews on the mxr carbon copy. Saw the test on pro guitars shop on youtube. Wanted to a/b it with some other pedals but everywhere I went the mxr's were sold out. So today I did something I normally don't do with music equipment. I ordered it online. I figured, I liked the sound on the youtube demo. Has good reviews and they are selling like hotcakes. There must be something right with that pedal. Can't wait till it arrives.:dude:

13. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

why don't i repeat myself? duh?

14. 996ttcab

996ttcab Senior Member

15. gibbbbbbbaaaay!!!

gibbbbbbbaaaay!!! Senior Member

Tape delay. It's got a very satisfying sound to my ears.:laugh2:

16. 180gROC

180gROC Senior Member

I bought a Carbon Copy tonight. Haven't even't played it at home yet...

I went in to buy a DC Brick and a Boss tuner to finish out my first ever pedalboard (although I feel like I'm cheating cuz I just used the back cover of my 6 space rack and some velcro)

I was blown away in the store, I'm hoping I feel the same at home. To this point I've always used digital, and still will for things, so I voted both... :)

If the cool sounds hadn't got me, the cool green metal flake paint job mighta done it. That's marketing right there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ISOgoldtone

ISOgoldtone Senior Member

I've only ever used a few different delays, so take this with a grain of salt I suppose!

My first experience w/a delay pedal was a couple of years ago when a buddy of mine lent me his Boss DD-6 to use. The sound was clean and clear when I used it to practice riffs and the like, but when I incorporated it in a band setting, it absolutely fell through. I can't even really describe it sufficiently, but it was almost like the actual delay itself was a lifeless replica of whatever I played. Needless to say, I gladly returned it and life went on.

Not too long after that my GAS got the best of me and I bought a Lexicon MX200 (IIRC) rack effects unit. It had a bunch of different delays, but much like the DD-6 I never got a sound that just made me say WOW! I ended up "donating" it to our main PA rig to add to our mixer's effects repertoire.

Well a month or so ago I decided to give the idea of putting yet another delay into my rig, but this time I picked the BBE Two Timer ANALOG delay (it won out over the MXR Carbon Copy) To make a long story short, I couldn't be any happier with it! Sure it doesn't have the "precision" of either of the other two units (aka tap tempo,) but the sound quality is markedly better. Unlike the Boss, it DOES have a wet-dry mix knob, which I've found to be very handy, and it also allows you to switch immediately between two different delay times (hence the name!) Even though it doesn't have the "bells and whistles" of the other two units, I'll definitely be keeping the two timer in my effects loop as long as I'm playing!

18. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

Got the carbon copy yesterday. Real nice pedal. Sound is great. Lots of fun toying around with it. Got my voodoolabs pedal power 2 today. Tonight I'm gonna put my pedal board together. :)

19. MrBoZiffer

MrBoZiffer Member

The Carbon Copy is really awesome. I've never been much of a delay guy, but I picked up a CC and have loved it. The modulation is pretty nice too.

20. riles6789

riles6789 Senior Member

line 6 dl-4 should be a category