Amp starting to hum

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by dissaffected, Sep 24, 2017.

1. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

l should probably know this but I do not. I have a Fender that is developing a hum. I started noticing it at low volumes as a minor white noise sound. Now as you turn amp louder the hum gets worse. At 5 on the volume knob the hum becomes obnoxious. What causes this?

2. 12Rant

12Rant Member

I had a problem like that and traced the culprit to my ceiling fan and other electrical appliances running on the same circuit as the amp. I got an extension cord, ran to another room to make sure the amp was isolated. And
    Voila no hum. It seems electrical magnetic interference doesn't like guitars, computers etc. Hopefully you find an easy solution.

dissaffected likes this.
  3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I faced many noise issues... main reason was out of my hands which is bad (or no) grounding !
    I had a terrible noise recently and after so much diagnostics I came up with the fact that it was a bad cable... even cables can suddenly go wrong even high end cables !

dissaffected likes this.
  4. sonar

sonar Senior Member

The first reaction is to think it's the amp. Usually it's something external.

dissaffected likes this.
  5. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Brilliant...plugged amp into different plug and viola. Hum is gone. There is still a minor white noise but it is fine. I am not sure why the Fender is affected and nothing else is. But glad that damnable hum is gone. Thanks all for the help!

6. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Maybe it doesn’t know the words.

bilbarstow, AmpedUp, Phil W and 2 others like this.
  7. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Your minor typo confused me at first because I presumed you own an electric violin.

VictorB likes this.