Amp drive or pedals ?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Mockbel, Oct 11, 2017.

How do you get your dirty sound?

1. Amp dirty channel exclusively

30 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Pedals exclusively

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. I can't live without both

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I like to use the amp as the primary. Then, when/if needed, I will use a particular OD/Dist pedal to season to taste (fine tune) if you will.

I could easily live with just the amp but, I'm really glad I don't have to.

2. Static

Static Senior Member

Both - right? It depends on a number of factors like the room, the guitar, your pain threshold... Seriously I have an amp with a built in power soak so it's designed to get tube saturation and lower volumes so you can use amp drive. It's great, sounds awesome (I don't use that word lightly) but still with the Fender guitars I still need a little Tube Screamer action to get full on grit. So both.

3. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I can do that well enough for my needs on my Mesa Boogie Mark IIB.

I have no pedals now. I like simple. Not opposed to getting a few one day, just not now. Probably get an attenuator before anything.

Used to use a Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, EH Memory Man and EH Bad Stone (I think) phase shifter in my teens.

4. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

My main amp is an AC30 w/ Blues and JJ's (the tube rect model). At 3-4 on the master it will merrily tear a hole in space time. At 5-6 we're talking singularity.
    Amp drive all the way. Cleans up just fine on the volume. The 'problem' with going old skool and using 50's wiring, dialling the amp and surfing your controls is that (in my humble opinion/experience) there is a 'baseline' level of volume required to get a sweet sound and that is always orders of magnitude louder than sound guys will tolerate.

Aside: in the last year or so my band (we're a three piece, so its all on me) have started playing lots of small venues (30x20 ft rooms) and we've stopped using the PA entirely. I personally prefer it and the punters do seem to as well. I can get loud without losing definition (a fine line few people ever seem to get right imho) and everyone plays that bit harder. No good for bars though - kills conversation.

Using alnico speakers really helps here.

My 'mobile' e.g. bar gig amp is an AC4TV head w/ a cream back 12" cab. This one has no master volume. It does have a nice overdrive when cranked but takes an OD-3 really well for when I need some dick at small venue levels. Summary = depends entirely on the amp and the style of music you play. I have, over the years, found the AC30 does everything from Jazz to Blues to Metal. I have heard better amps (who doesn't like a plexi) for each style of music but never one that did them all better than the Vox.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. toolshed

toolshed Senior Member

I have used many amps in my time. I currently have a Rivera duo twelve, and mess express 550. I tried to dial in tones but I now onIy use cmatmod pedals only. They are incredible. They sound clear and transparent and don't color your tone. I also sold all my other Wampler, jhs, Catlinbread, and Tommy pedals haha...

C.J. likes this.
  6. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

It all depends on the venue, in my case. On loud gigs the amp is sufficient . Quiet gigs with a DI,strictly a pedalboard.

7. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Right now, I'm using just enough gain to get a little compression from my amp - 11 o'clock on the gain knob of my Orange Crush 35RT. Then, I'm using a germanium Fuzz Face, volume at 2 o'clock and fuzz maxed, into that crunch channel. Turning the guitar volume up or down gets me from clean to slight overdrive to full distortion to completely crazy fuzz. I've pretty much settled on this setup for my tone. It gives me everything I want. I do have a Big Muff Pi and DS-1 on my board for some different tones. The Big Muff Pi stacks surprisingly well with the Fuzz Face and gives it a little more bite. The DS-1 is off most of the time, but it can really thicken up and darken the Fuzz Face, though I mainly use it for a bit more sustain and bite with just the dirty channel. The Fuzz Face is definitely my favorite pedal now. I don't know why I didn't get one sooner.

8. I Break Things

I'm sorry to hear about your car accident and injury. I've got some health issues that limit what I can do, and it can really suck sometimes. I'm glad you've found ways to work around it and get the tones you want. I've been setting up a little music space in the bedroom so I can play without too many problems, and I've begun to develop my own tastes and tone.

Stuff likes this.
  9. I Break Things

What is that? I'm very curious.

10. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Since I posted that, the Synergy Amps modules have been released. The demos I've heard have been very promising. They're really small and lightweight, and look perfect for home hobbyists who want traditional tones without traditional heads or combos.

The Kemper has promise as an alternative to real amps for amp tones - and it's so so silent for recording with! - but I'm not happy with it as a pedal platform. I'm going to pick up a couple of Synergy modules at some point to complement or replace the HT-100 as a pedal platform.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    I Break Things likes this.
  11. I Break Things

Very nice. I hope it works out well for you! :h5:

Stuff likes this.
  12. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Senior Member

Boss BD2 (Always on)
    RAT for more Dirt when needed

13. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Try a Morning Mist OD. Buy several of em' so you can match to your shirt.

14. Iron Blimp

Iron Blimp Senior Member

Fenders for clean and Marshalls for drive.

15. I Break Things

For me, a germanium Fuzz Face into a slightly distorted, crunchy amp is THE tone for me. It just sounds incredible. Guitar volume on 10, and it's this thick, fuzzy, awesomeness. Turn it down to 8 or 9, and it's an awesome distorted tone with more definition. Down to 6 or 7, and it's a nice overdrive, but a bit fuller than the amp by itself. At 4 or 5, it's almost clean, but you can dig in for a bit of grit. 3 and under, clean. Fuzz Faces are just awesome.

northernguitarguy and Mockbel like this.
  16. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other? Whatever sounds best and gets the job done, I say.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  17. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

It doesn't have to... i am just checking what ppl have :D

northernguitarguy likes this.
  18. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Hey brother, I know you're open minded!