Am I too old to learn how to play guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jakethesnake, May 14, 2011.

1. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Junior Member

I'll keep this short and hope I can get some advice here. I'm 27 and recently decided to learn how to play guitar. To all you experts out there that started at a young age, or in your 20's, or even later than that, how difficult is it? I'm embarrassed to admit that I have 2 guitars collecting dust that I've purchased within the past 2 months. I still can't play any chords. Total time invested in learning about 2 hours.

2. River

River Senior Member

Unless you've lost all of your fingers, no. Hell, even then, there are ways.

How old are you?

ed1996, Strato, guitarbob123 and 6 others like this.
  3. jakethesnake

27. The reason I ask is because it seems like everyone starts at a young age. Also, I want to get pretty good at it... Good enough to play some Clapton covers. I'm not interested in doing this professionally but I want to be able to play covers for fun. I guess I'll need about 40 years worth of practice, huh?

4. River

River Senior Member

No telling for sure. I didn't start until I was 30, and didn't get very serious about it until about four years ago. I'm having a blast.

5. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

never to old
    the more you practice the faster you learn

6. Shagnwagon

Shagnwagon Senior Member

My dad started at 44. The only thing is that you have to WANT to learn. If you dont then you will never learn.

Strato and SteveGangi like this.
  7. jakethesnake

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. One problem i'm facing is I have a...dumb pinky on my fretting hand (hardly any dexterity). Do you think i'll ever be able to develop it? Also, I find it hard to play cords (either my fingers touch the wrong strings, or I just can't stretch my fingers enough).. Do you have any recommendations for a beginner, like some sort of very slow and detailed training videos or book? And how many hours a day should I devote strictly for practice?

8. Shagnwagon

Shagnwagon Senior Member

Keep playing. Chords will be hard, Barres will be even harder. I didnt think I could play with my pinky either. You have to practice and practice and practice and practice and practice and then some more practice. Then you will put your fingers in the right spot and your face WILL light up. Dont get discouraged! And practice everyday or atleast regularly. 15 minutes a day is better than 2 hours every now and again.

9. River

River Senior Member

Some of us have very uncooperative pinkies. They come around with practice.

As far as the rest - I recommend personal lessons, and can't too strongly.

And don't expect steady progress. It comes in fits and starts. But if you keep at it, it comes.

10. k.guitars

k.guitars Senior Member

27 is not too old at all. I started at age 7 and am 38 now, but play in a band with a guy who didn't start until around 24 and it's quite possible that he is better than me!

If you were in your '30s you might have missed the boat, but at 27 you're just fine... just grab it and go! No time to waste...

11. AmazingJourney

AmazingJourney Senior Member

I was about 28 when I decided to play, but kids, jobs, life got in the way.
    For 20 years, I didn't play. I could have and should have but I thought I too busy.
    That was my mistake.

Then when I almost 50, I took it up again. I took a few lessons.
    I practice a little most days. I'm not in a race to get anywhere, but I am making progress.
    When my wife recognizes what I'm playing, I know I'm making progress.
    I'm having a great time learning and playing and if I only play for/with
    family and a few friends, that's alright with me.

So just keep practicing and don't get discouraged, those finger will come around.
    You'll amaze yourself!

12. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

Too late? Never. NEXT!

outskirts of infinity likes this.
  13. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

If it was easy..EVERYONE would be doing it!!!
    Can't pratice enough.

Strato and outskirts of infinity like this.
  14. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PRD0kMgI8]YouTube - BC-101[/ame]

This is the man you should watch if you don't want personal lessons. This is the video BC-101. After it you should check BC-102, then BC-103, etc. This is the beginners course.

Its never too late to start as long as you want to learn. :dude:

EDIT: His youtube name is JustinSandercoe. If you want to learn a few tunes, check out Justinsandercoesongs.

15. 04renostar

04renostar Senior Member

+1 on Justin Sandercoe!!! He's got probably the best beginner & intermediate lesson programs on the web. Very easy to follow along with. Do his beginner and intermediate lesson programs & you'll be playing some good geetar before you know it. If you do it like I did, one lesson per day & a little practice & you'll be playin' music before you know it. Plus its FREE!!! You can donate to the cause if you want to help Justin keep it free if you want, but its not required.

By the way, I just picked up the guitar again after a 25 year layoff. Couldn't really play before either, but got back into again about 3 years ago. Just a hobby player, but I have a blast just noodlin' around on my LP, or my Tele, or my Ovation...

16. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

+2 for Justin, his lessons are great

17. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I started playing bass when I was 14 because my best friend started to play guitar and we would form a band. I would pick up his Charvel and have a go at it. Couldn't form chords easily and said, "damn, I'll never be able to play 6 strings!" So I keep playing bass, stop for about 7 years and then have the opportunity to get a decent acoustic for cheap. So I start going at it with alot of fun and passion and practicing daily. It ended up being 20 years from when I first picked up a bass and I regretted not starting earlier. Long story short, 3 Les Pauls later, I am making up for lost time and loving every minute of it. You just have to not care what anybody thinks. If you love it, do it.

JCM900MkIII likes this.
  18. Iron Blimp

Iron Blimp Premium Member

The great thing about playing music- any instrument - is that you can start at any point in your life and play until the day you die. You can't do sports when you get old, you can't race cars when you get old - but as an old man you can sit on the porch as the sun sets and strum a guitar with a smile on your face. :cool:

19. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Senior Member

You are NEVER too old to learn. As mentioned, it takes practice. 2 hours in 2 months is not going to get you far. It can be tedious learning and practicing chords but in time you WILL master them and once you start seeing some results it will inspire you to practice more.

outskirts of infinity likes this.
  20. xXxGhotimanxXx

xXxGhotimanxXx Senior Member

Personally, I think those that learned at a young age had parents that insisted they learn an instrument. At least I did. My parents let me chose the instrument...I chose electric guitar :). However, they made me take lessons and forced me to practice at least an hour a day for a few years...while they were paying. I think it's harder for adults because you have all kinds of adult responsibilities that get in the way, and as an adult you can chose not to practice. Where, as a child, you can be forced. The first year or so of trying to learn the guitar will be miserable, most likely. I believe that learning the guitar contains at least two tasks. The first is getting past the physicality of it. You have to learn how to hold the guitar, move your fingers, hold chords, etc., etc. During this time you are building up your muscles and your muscle memory. Next is learning how to make music, etc. Learning any instrument is very difficult, IMO. It can be done at any age, but I find most adults give up. And I think this is why you come across so many musicians that started at a young age...because most of the ones that started later gave up and so they aren't in the pool of players. Your best bet is to take lessons. This will give you a sense of responsibility...like a gym membership, etc. It will also give you the proper instruction as a beginner that you will need. I'll bet that with practice and dedication that you could start to play covers within a year or two. Good luck.

J