Alternative pickups for Gibson Melody Maker

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SpinWheelz, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

I've just picked up a Gibson Melody Maker, one which sports a single-coil, not a P90. Is this pickup a standard single-coil size, or is it a unique Gibson-only single-coil pickup?

As you can imagine, I'm considering options for modding purposes.

Cheers.

2. analogsystem

analogsystem Senior Member

I think that the reissues are the same size as any strat pickup....but

Single-coil Pickups

Also I have seen some other boutique builders do a melody maker reproduction.

3. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

Thanks for that link, I'd come across that option in my googling. I think I'm all set with P90 guitars (I have four), and I had the option of going with P90-shod Melody Maker but realized I didn't need yet another P90 guitar, hence my going with the single-coil version.

I've sent e-mails to Gibson, GFS, Bill Lawrence, all in hopes that someone can shed some light on whether or not the Gibson single-coil has the same dimension as those found in Fenders, etc. If I had a single-coil guitar, it'd be easy for me to check, but I don't, hence my query.

Cheers.

4. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

The melody maker reissue is one coil from a humbucker stacked. BG-pups makes a replacement. I have one but, haven't used it yet. Now, I'm actually thinking about selling my melody maker now, cuz I've got too much gear, sheez!! BG Pups Hand Wound Custom Guitar Pickups by Bryan Gunsher

5. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

Thank you for that link. Between these Melody Maker-specific pickup options and other links where folks talk about needing to resize the cavity and the pickguard to fit a regular single-coil shaped pickups, I think it's pretty clear that the Melody Maker pickup has a unique dimension.

6. Ride on a Pony

Ride on a Pony Senior Member

This isn't really relevant, but could someone show / tell me what the Melody Maker pickup cavities look like? ie, are they Strat-like, or bigger maybe?

I'm thinking mainly of the recent 2 pickup varieties. A pic with the pickguard removed would be ideal.

Thanks.

7. neils

neils Senior Member

Check out the J S Moore Pickups - Home and go to his blog area. Click on older posts at teh bottom of the blog page twice and you'll find a post there.

This is the JS Moore pickup website. I've used his stuff and it is very good.

He shows here some MM pups he wound into P90 style and sound.

Neil

8. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

I rewound a newer reissue MM pickup a few months back with 42g plain enamel.

- The pickup is essentially a slug bobbin from a humbucker (it's not stacked) with a specially-sized baseplate.

- They aren't the same size as Fender pickups.

- The mags are two small ceramic (not AlNiCo) bars glued to the bottom of the bobbin.

- The pickups are HEAVILY wax potted.

9. neils

neils Senior Member

I saw Lollar has a MM pickup preinstalled in a pickgaurd on his site now. It is a P90 but sized for the MM cavity. It is on his site.

Neil