Alternate Speaker Choices

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by drew365, May 23, 2017.

1. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I've been wondering if there is an active speaker choice that would slot in between a wedge type FRFR and a guitar cab. Basically something with a little more warmth, but I could still use IR's in my patches.
    I've come up with two possibilities.
    1. Xitone M Britt Open Back - It's 400w, 1x12, 20x20x12, weighs 45# and has several tone shaping choices, $960.
    2. Mission Engineering - Mission lo - 450w, 1x12, 19x18x11, 29#(has a neodynium magnet), $899. Guitar Player mag did a write up of this one last month and liked it.
    Maybe I'm searching for a Unicorn, but I'm curious about these two cabs and whether they might be the start of a new level of choices for us. Anyone have any feedback on either of these?

2. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Drew, sorry I can`t comment on either but knowing you gig a lot I noticed the substancial weight difference between them. My StageSource weighs 39lbs and that is damn heavy for lugging around all the time and couldn`t imagine going much heavier .... just a thought.

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

THe Friedman FRFR cabs are said to be quite a bit warmer.

It also comes down to the power amp as well. ANY FRFR passive wedge with a warmer power amp gets the result you want.

4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I guess I should consider the Friedman, but I've never read any good opinions about them. I mostly heard that they are very dark. I don't want to go passive. One trip in, one trip out is a mantra that I try to follow. My small cart is maxed out with an active speaker.
    Donal; my DXR12 is about 43 #. I'm handling that okay, but the 29# Mission unit is definitely calling to me.
    I was hoping someone had tried the M Britt and could compare it to a wedge. There's not much on YouTube about these.

Donal and mdubya like this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

There are some good reviews of the Friedman on the Fractal forum. They seem to come mostly from high gain metal types, but I could be mistaken.

It is so hard to hear through demos, but most of the FRFR speakers I have heard (through demos) sound darker than the direct recordings of the same models.

Personally, I am looking (listening?) for the most amp like sounds, in the room.

I think if there is any shortcoming that needs to be addressed for these high end units, this is it. We shouldn't need a full PA and a mixing desk and a sound engineer to hear great tones.

6. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

While I compared my set up to nothing else and only relied on the advice of friends, I ran my Axe FX thru a Carvin into a Mission Engineering Cab. It sounded good to me. One of my children is now the owner and he sounds good through it with his group. As with all these things though, my ears hear what they hear for me. YMMV

Donal likes this.