Alternate Picking

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by blueburst, Dec 29, 2007.

1. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

For the love of god I can't get this technique down. I come from a hardcore/punk background so I never needed it but now that I'm trying to expand my playing I have to basically relearn how to play and this is killing me. Any advice or exercises would be awesome.:confused::mad2::confused::mad2::confused::mad2: :(

2. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I learned my alternate picking in the Al DiMeola style. Economical hand movement, picking with just the very tip of the pick, not digging in, slightly angled.

What you need to do is start slow. Maybe just start by playing a simple blues scale, just pick one note downstroke, next note upstroke, and so on through the scale pattern. Once you can play it cleanly at slow speed, then gradually build up speed.

3. Eggy

Eggy Senior Member

I'm left handed but play righty so I know how it feels to have difficulty with alternate picking. I found that watching Paul Gilberts instructional videos helped a lot. You can see a lot of clips of them on youtube if you have a luck.
    It has taken a good while to get this technique down but keep going it'll come.

4. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

I don't know why but the alternate picking is killing me. I guess no matter how much I want it to come it will just take its good old time. Ohh well I just got to suck it up and do it. Thanks guys

5. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I had never tried it until I was 12 and wanted to learn welcome to the jungle. I sat down in my room trying the intro for about an hour, and got the technique down. After you can do it, practice it more and more and you will soon amaze yourself with some things you can do. I feel that I have gotten more control doing it since I switched to Dunlop Jazz III picks. Good Luck!

Maybe you can try Welcome to the Jungle's intro? Lol. It is actually pretty slow so I think it might help.

6. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

Thanks man I will look into the welcome to the jungle intro.

7. FearTheCalm

FearTheCalm Junior Member

some things that will help with Alt picking and string skipping is practice a scale in 4ths and 5ths with a metronome starting around 40 bpm eight notes, triplets, and sixteenth notes

8. G-Minor

G-Minor Member

hey kool im left handed but play right handed too. we some beasts . so technically were ambidextrious. wow thats a big word.

9. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

How's the alternate picking been going?

10. Volusia

Volusia Senior Member

Looks like you already have some great advice. But, just remember use a metronome. If you don't have one you can use the link I pasted below. Start out at approx 50 BPM and work your way up from there. Just take your time and practice daily and you'll have it down in no time.

Good Luck!

METRONOME ONLINE - free!

11. Big Bear

Big Bear Senior Member

the metronome is the ticket! you sound like you're retarded when you practice, but it will pay off in the end, stick with it!