Allman Brothers God Rest His Soul--Chord help

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by DW4LesPaul, Mar 1, 2018.

1. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Well that explains why I couldn't hear it correctly looking at fingerings. I stopped playing the low E for that purpose, except when on full chords.

I also think it is closer to play the open Am like:

1 0
    2 1
    3 2
    4 0
    5 0
    6 x

2. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

No I had no idea but I hear it now when I tune. HUW, would you be interested in helping with the strumming pattern and chord changes? I think the main repeat, D, Am, is Down once on the D then Down twice on the Am, but man, I'm having a hard time with it.

3. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Not able to listen again right now, but I'll have a go as soon as I can, might be a day or so...

bulletproof and DW4LesPaul like this.
  4. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Hey HUW, sorry to necrothread, but if you ever have the time, what chords would you use in standard tuning?

5. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Hey HUW, sorry to necrothread, but if you ever have the time, what chords would you use in standard tuning?

6. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Doh - I never got back to you about this, did I? Ooops!

Sorry about that - I'll try to get on it asap, got the family round at the moment ;)

7. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Hey, I'm grateful for any help. You're not obligated! :) I'd like to know what chords to use in standard tuning, the same chords he uses in drop D, if possible, in as close to the same positions on the fret board.

8. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Ok, I finally have a bit of time :)

I've just had a listen through to all the different versions in the thread, and it has reminded me that sometimes it's as though there was a "meta-version" of the song out there that all the versions are based on. Sometimes we only hear one version and think "that's how it goes", but the performer/writer may have this "meta-version" in their head and be referencing that rather than the single recorded version...

...anyhoo, I'm rambling.

So, the most important thing, IMHO, from all the versions here, is that droning D string underneath the chords in the repeated vamp figure : D > Am/D (listening to all the different versions it definitely comes out as a clear Am instead of C)

The solo acoustic guy in post #1 played this up by using drop D so he could have three strings droning DAD, but the recorded versions just use the normal D string.

e 5 > 5
    B 7 > 5
    G 7 > 5
    D 0 > 0
    A x
    E x

The G chord ("...any other day he'd have been preaching...") could be just a cowboy shape G at the nut, but I think that...

e 3
    B 3
    G 0
    D 0
    A (2)
    E 3

...sounds right.

Mr Acoustic Cover Version is in drop D so he has to play the 5th fret of the bottom string to get that bottom note, but the chord is basically the same.

(NB - on the laidback piano rich version there's a nice Gmaj7 here)

The G > D > G > D part sounds like that G to a standard cowboy D chord, but one of the versions sounds like there's a single note bass run up with that which goes G B C D. Hit the G & D with the chords, fit the B & C in between.

The C > G move that finishes that section sounds like...

e 3 > 3 ( > 3)
    B 3 > 3 ( > 3)
    G 0 > 0 ( > 0)
    D x > x ( > 0)
    A 3 > 2 ( > 2)
    E x > x ( > 3)

...which is actually Csus2 > G, but that's besides the point ;)

(NB - that laidback version goes back to the C : Csus2 > G > Csus2)

Er, that's it I think? Oh, the climbing melodic thing that the guy in the first video was doing - to begin the climb I think he's muting the G string and hitting the melody note on the B string (with the drone underneath). Then when he gets up the neck he starts hitting triad shapes on the top 3 strings. To be honest it sounds as if he night have just been jamming that bit, rather than anything worked out, but who knows?

Anyway, sorry I took so long to get back to you!

:wave:

9. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

HUW, really appreciated, but the nomenclature you used is completely foreign to me :(

e.g.,
    e 5 > 5 ?
    Or
    e 3 > 3 ( > 3)

No idea :( :(

Yes, the walk up the neck is on the original and they look like triad shapes to me too. But in the original it's in the middle of the song and it doesn't sound like triads.
    See 1:47 time where Gregg says "Alright break here."

10. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Strings (e = high E) and fret numbers.

e 5 means high E string, 5th fret.

e 0
    B 0
    G 1
    D 2
    A 2
    E 0

...would be an open position E major chord. String names down the left, fret numbers for where fingers go. ;)

e 5 > 3

...would be playing E string 5th fret then E string 3rd fret.

11. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Yeah I know the basic notation, strings, fret numbers = chords, but this stuff here has me totally confused:

e 3 > 3 ( > 3)
    B 3 > 3 ( > 3)
    G 0 > 0 ( > 0)
    D x > x ( > 0)
    A 3 > 2 ( > 2)
    E x > x ( > 3)

Really sorry :(

I was also wondering what he was doing when he starts out the song I think on or near the 5th fret--I wish he had shown his fingerings!?

I see you have this:
    e 5 > 5
    B 7 > 5
    G 7 > 5
    D 0 > 0
    A x
    E x

But he also picks his finger up and bounces back and forth a few times.

12. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

Don't be sorry, I'm obviously not being as clear as I thought I was. Let me try again. That part you've picked out is just three chord shapes, with the > sign just meaning "move to next shape". The third chord shape is in brackets because it's basically the same as the previous shape, just with a change of bass note.

So the first chord is a Csus2 - miss out the low E string, play a C on the 3rd fret of the A string, mute the D string, leave the G string open, and play both the B & E strtings at the 3rd fret. I'm sure you know that shape.

That's what I meant by this notation:

e 3 (top E, 3rd fret)
    B 3 (B string, 3rd fret)
    G 0 (open G string)
    D x (mute D string)
    A 3 (A string, 3rd fret)
    E x (mute low E)

So then there's the > sign, to move to the 2nd chord, which is
    a G/B played by moving the bass note down to the 2nd fret of the a string, but otherwise exactly the same as the first chord:

e 3 (top E, 3rd fret)
    B 3 (B string, 3rd fret)
    G 0 (open G string)
    D x (mute D string)
    A 2 (A string, 2nd fret)
    E x (mute low E)

Then again the > sign means move to the third chord (the one in brackets)
    This is exactly the same as the 2nd chord, except that you add the G in the bass (low E string 3rd fret), & let the D string ring open, which I wrote as :

e 3 (top E, 3rd fret)
    B 3 (B string, 3rd fret)
    G 0 (open G string)
    D 0 (open D string)
    A 2 (A string, 2nd fret)
    E 3 (low E string, 3rd fret)

Hopefully, that should make it clear what I was trying to get over :)

I think that the part you are referring to is simply him lifting off the finger from the 5th fret of the high E string, to let the open string ring out. alternating that E note with the fretted A.

Any use? :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018