Allman Brothers God Rest His Soul--Chord help

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by DW4LesPaul, Mar 1, 2018.

1. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

The chords in their most basic shape are CDG, but there is more going on here. In this video, on of the very few on youtube, the guy doing the cover I think gets it relatively correct.

He starts off on the 7th fret, then plays the open chords and then there is one more chord he plays on the 5th fret, then the walk up.

I just want to make sure I get this right.

So what I can hear about how he uses the open chords, the CDG, sometimes or all of the time he uses partial chords (You can't see his fretting hand for the open chords). So something like, and some variations to taste:

Open:

C
    1 0
    2 0
    3 0
    4 2
    5 3
    6 0

D
    1 0
    2 3
    3 2
    4 0
    5 0
    6 x

G
    1 0
    2 0
    3 0
    4 0
    5 2
    6 3

For the starting of the song, it looks like:
    1 0
    2 7
    3 7
    4 0
    5 0
    6 0

And then this
    1 5
    2 0
    3 7
    4 0
    5 0
    6 0

or this?
    1 0
    2 5
    3 7
    4 0
    5 0
    6 0

Time 0:41: The chord at the 5th fret looks like
    1 5
    2 3
    3 0
    4 0
    5 0
    6 5

Time: 2:20: The walk up I cannot make out, but I think they are just triads. I can't make out the shapes though.

Here is the original:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

I think one of the positions and chords for the intro must be a D?

1 5
    2 7
    3 7
    4 0
    5 0
    6 x

3. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

Anyone help out here?

4. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

I would be afraid to try to help with the chords but you must be as big of an ABB junkie as I am as that is a pretty deep cut. I was only familiar with that song as it was included in the Dreams boxed set that they released back in I guess the late 80s or early 90s. Great sort of haunting tune there.

5. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

I meant to say that Greg Allman could seem to come up with chords that I do not see or very rarely see in other songs. I learned Melissa a couple of years ago from a video that I think you posted combined with watching an old guy play it live that I think learned it from the record back in the day. I am envious (in a good sort of way) of people that can just figure out chords and notes from a record. I can sometimes maybe figure out the key and some chords from just listening but if it gets beyond the very basic chords then I am lost.

6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Its not an ABB song,Was probably tagged that way to get more hits on Youtube.

7. chasenblues

8. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

So who wrote the song?

9. chasenblues

Gregg wrote the song,it wasn't a song that the ABB recorded. There are a few different version floating around.

10. Stoli

Stoli Senior Member

Gotcha, I just think of any of those tunes as ABB. Great tune regardless of who wrote it.

11. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

I bought that same set in about, oh, 2008 I think and that's where I first heard it too, along with "Down in Texas." It's another little gem:

bulletproof likes this.
  12. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

A lot of times they get it wrong too. It sounds like the song, but their voicing are not how the original was played. A lot of people have done that with Pink Floyd songs. I wish I could find someone teaching God Rest His Soul though. It's an easy song and really has that nice bit to it.

13. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

14. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

God Rest His Soul is am Hourglass song, but Gregg Allman wrote it, and it got fame by the ABB. Gregg and Duane were both in Hour Glass. http://www.greggallman.com/mlk-god-rest-his-soul/

Most people have no clue who Hour Glass was, and they were only together a a little over a year. But it was the ABB that brought the song into fame.

"Hour Glass were a 1960s rhythm and blues band based in Los Angeles, California in 1967 and 1968. Among their members were two future members of the Allman Brothers Band (Duane Allman and his brother Gregg) and three future studio musicians at the world-renowned Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama (Pete Carr, Johnny Sandlin and Paul Hornsby)." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_Glass_(band)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  15. chasenblues

I'm aware of the ABB history,The song was never recorded by them.

16. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

There are a lot of small variations how the ABB play the song. If the ABB never recorded it, how did those variations come about? I'm just curious.

17. chasenblues

The Hourglass wasn't the ABB.

The 31st of February wasn't the ABB.

The version recorded during GA's "Laid Back" sessions wasn't the ABB.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

It is interesting. I guess Gregg retained the rights to the song and that's how it could be on the anthology album? I guess people just assume it was an ABB song. Well, basically it is since Gregg write it, but technically, it's a Gregg Allamn song. lol

Good information.

bulletproof likes this.
  19. chasenblues

Probably had to pay some type of royalty or got a release to use it.

From the interwebz,

"Gregg Allman sold the publishing rights to "Melissa", as well as the Martin Luther King Jr tribute "God Rest His Soul", to producer Steve Alaimo for $250 shortly thereafter. He had been tied up in Los Angeles, contractually bound by Liberty Records(who had previously issued albums by the Allman's first band,The Hour Glass), and used the money to buy an airplane ticket to fly back to Los Angeles."

bulletproof and DW4LesPaul like this.
  20. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

I'm sure that you've got this already, I'm just mentioning it because it isn't explicitly stated anywhere in the thread, but the guitar is in Drop D tuning. You can clearly hear it underneath that D > C/D figure in the verses, for instance, and at other times too.

(If you hadn't spotted that, I would guess that the chord voicings you are looking for will come pretty easy with the right tuning)

:)

bulletproof and DW4LesPaul like this.