All things "bicycle".....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Who, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Tiboy

Tiboy Senior Member

Year round saddle sores for me. In the spirit of TMI, one year I had to go to the dermatologist to lance a SS the size of a half a tennis ball.

2. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

:eek2:

Yikes! What sort of saddle do you guys have? I've always heard about 'issues' relating to them but thankfully have yet to experience them, I would love to keep it that way!

On a slightly more upbeat note haha, heres a new bike I just finished up, wanted a bit of a beater bike I could take the grocery store, gym, etc and not need to clip in or care if I ding it up, or god forbid it gets stolen. I picked it up off CL and repainted it, polished up the Al pieces, and replaced/regreased all the bearings. Its another late 70's Raleigh, this one a Record, not a ton of love for these bikes but aside from noisy brakes it rides very well for what I'll use it for. Next up I think I want to build a mountain bike to do some light trail stuff, probably this winter or next spring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PeteK, Byron999 and truckermde like this.
  3. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Nice! I had a Record and Super Record at one point...

truckermde likes this.
  4. fett

fett Premium Member

Pay for a Ride-a-Bike. Seattle takes the cake. The City tried it and failed. Now, private enterprise has filled the "Need". There will be thousands of them. You pay for the ride and you drop it off anywhere you want. It's in the "Test" mode. It could get interesting.

5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I sold my road bike. Same reason I'm not going back to riding motorcycles. Too paranoid about being seriously injured again. I love mtb riding and will be back at it soon. That Scalpel in the garage is calling out to me.

truckermde likes this.
  6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Are your injuries subsiding enough where you can answer the call?

7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I can ride around the crushed granite trail in about a week. Singletrack is about 6 weeks away. Pretty damn close! I've been spinning for a week.

Byron999, truckermde and Who like this.
  8. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

That may turn out to be a very wise decision.

Bike riding isn’t child’s play anymore, and cycling crash deaths are soaring

Some highlights from the article:

Alcohol was a factor in 37 percent of fatal bike crashes, with drivers doing the drinking in 12 percent of the cases and bike riders drinking in 22 percent, the latter a decline from 38 percent 10 years ago;

• Though it’s estimated that 45,000 cyclists were injured in crashes in 2015, the report said police probably record a fraction of those crashes because bikes don’t get towed from crashes and cars rarely need towing after colliding with a cyclist;

• The majority of fatal bike crashes — 72 percent — took place on the roadway rather than at intersections;

• Distracted driving was to blame for 76 cyclist deaths out of 818 in 2015;

• More than half of cyclists killed were not wearing a helmet;

• Bike fatalities were evenly split at 47 percent between those riding in daylight and those riding after dark, though only 20 percent of bike rides take place after dark;

• A third of people surveyed said they had biked in the past year, but the number of children biking to school has dropped from almost half to 2.2 percent since 1969.

bungle, Byron999, Who and 1 other person like this.
  9. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Bike sharing is a big thing here, there are at least three companies deep into it. On the surface it's great. Check the app on your phone, find the nearest available bike, scan the QR code on the lock, and you're off.

Problem is, most people don't drop them off at "designated" drop-spots, so the sidewalks, especially around bus stops, are frequently - and getting more-and-more so - lined (cluttered) with these rent-a-bikes. A lot of the domestic helpers use them to get to & from their errands and such, so there are lots of them near apartment & condo complexes. Plus the less-well-off office-worker-types who bike to & from their flats to their bus stop.

On the other hand, there are other countries that embrace bike culture - Japan and The Netherlands being two shining examples. Although I've never been to Holland, when I was visiting Japan I was amazed by the bicycle parking lots, how you'd see the most fragile-looking octogenarians happily trundling along on their bikes... It was glorious. They don't have the same scheme as above, but there are numerous bike rental shops. Not sure if you have to return it to the original shop or not, I never had the chance to find out.

Who likes this.
  10. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

If you're into cycling, visiting The Netherlands is worth it to check out the bicycle infrastructure alone

Pennyman and Who like this.
  11. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

I've got to get back into cycling.....and back into shape.

Over the last 5 years or so, for various reasons, I have all but quit riding(and gained about 20 lbs)....part of which is it IS getting way more dangerous out there.
    I just can't get into mountain biking as much as riding on the road. Period.
    I've got a pretty nice mountain bike, and there are some nice trails around here, but it's not my thing.

Starting today, I'm gonna start trying to ride on a more regular basis. Life ain't risk free.

I bought my Gunnar Roadie about 10 years ago.....I got to spec every single part on it.
    It's still my dream bike.....getting ready to dust it off and give it a quick tune up right now.
    [​IMG]

12. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Speaking of the Netherlands, the part I live is so flat, I made a 100km trip and the height diferences never exceeded more than 4 meters.

Who likes this.
  13. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Posted this on the fitness thread yesterday. Cheap department store bike, but it should be fine for the 20-30 miles I've been riding each week.

[​IMG]

My first road bike. My other is a fixed speed hybrid. Also my first with drop handlebars. It's taking me a bit to get used to it, but I look forward to getting it set up the way I like it. I'd like to take it to a real bike shop to have them give it a look over. I feel like the derailleurs need adjusted, and the steering needs aligned. Stuff I'm sure I could do, but I'd like to have a pro do it initially. I'm assuming all the basic stuff like that would run $50-100?

Also need a new seat. Pretty sure the the one I put on my other bike is a woman's seat, but it sure is comfy! My boss who is big into riding said that they can measure your sitting to find the right seat at a bike store, so I'll probably do that too.

Who likes this.
  14. Tiboy

Tiboy Senior Member

Congrats on the new bike! I think Fizik still has a demo saddle program. If your shop is a dealer you can try the different Fizik offerings to see which works best in the real world. I'm aware of saddle fit systems (i.e. Measure the sit bones). But I've found saddle comfort/preference does not always conform to what a tape measure says. It like lying on a new bed in the store and thinking it's a true representation of what sleeping on the mattress will be like 8 hours a night every night. Enjoy the new ride.

truckermde likes this.
  15. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Turns out the forest that starts not even 3 minutes from my house has miles of cool tracks for off-road cycling. I might be purchasing a MTB afterall. The downside of roadcycling is the carefull planning to avoid all bad roads. I just want to get on my bike and go somewhere.

truckermde likes this.
  16. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

There's a paved walking / biking trail that starts just outside my neighborhood they're finishing up connecting it to a bigger paved tail that will eventually span the width of Indiana. I'll just be excited when it reaches Daredevil, one of my favorite breweries about 9 miles from my house!

17. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

It's good to have a goal and a destination.

truckermde likes this.
  18. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

And a backup plan to get home..... hmmm or maybe 9 miles is still achievable even when not going in a straight line anymore?

19. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Figured it's at least better than just riding the mile to the nearest doughnut shop. ;)

True... I'd just have to call the wife and be like, "I thought it'd be nice to have dinner here. Bring the bike rack..."

The other problem could be that the brewery is right by the IMS track. Too many beers, and I end up trying to race some Indy cars...

20. bungle

bungle Senior Member

RE: Saddle sores. Best thing you can do is (imo) to shed those shorts and shower up as soon as possible. They're not worth the pain.:eek2:

Who likes this.